LG 42PQ6000 review - Trusted Reviews UK

you already bought an LG plasma? or you're considering buying it?

They have mentioned that HD quality is good with good black levels and is also bright which I observed too..

SD seems wanting.. Could not check it out anywhere with decent SD signals.. :(

Quite wierd. They seems to have taken complete opposite track to Avreviews.co.uk. They said that Black levels are not as good as what plasmas can deliver, but LG's have excellent SD handling capablity (for Pq6000).

Maybe the reviewer did not get his free dinner at an expensive place or get to keep the last product he reviewed and liked :D

Cheers

then please do consider a samsung or a panasonic

Hmm any specific reason for this advice??

I would be buying a 50" plasma soon. Did a rough market survey and shortlisted LG50pq60 and Samsung 50b450. Panasonic was too expensive at 75k whereas these 2 are around 60k. I was more inclined towards LG because of good reviews, more features and my previous bad experiences with Samsung products! But seeing your post it looks like you dont recommend LG!! :-?

then please do consider a samsung or a panasonic :)

I see this recommendation everywhere in this forum and outside.. But fail to see it in the demo.. :sad:

Today, I went again (which makes it my 4th time?) after reading the PQ6000 review to LG best miyapur and panasonic brand shop kukatpally.. (The LG guy was almost suspecious that Iam coming to see free TV :D ) Went with blank mind to accept whatever I see..

LG 42PQ60 is definetely BRIGHTER than Panasonic 42X10. This makes a lot of difference to the overall experience. Also, the panasonic could not produce anything close to white! LG produces far better whites. LG was also clearly better with SD transmission. For HD pictures, panasonic is better. Only in "Dynamic" mode, the X10 produces atleast considerable brightness. "Normal" and "Cinema" are DIM. Cinema being the DIMMEST (If there is such a word)

Maybe it is the time Iam going then.. It is always after dark and the show rooms are brightly lit. Should go there in the mornings when there is no light in the showroom I suppose.

I got the quotes of 42k for PQ70 and 48k for X10 + 50 DVDs. So not much of a difference there.

P.S: The salesman in panny showroom says that I can copy whole movies to an SD card and view them on the X10.. :lol: :lol: He should have really thought Iam jobless and have all the time in the world as I visit so often. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile Samsung is still out there hiding..

I see this recommendation everywhere in this forum and outside.. But fail to see it in the demo.. :sad:

Today, I went again (which makes it my 4th time?) after reading the PQ6000 review to LG best miyapur and panasonic brand shop kukatpally.. (The LG guy was almost suspecious that Iam coming to see free TV :D ) Went with blank mind to accept whatever I see..

LG 42PQ60 is definetely BRIGHTER than Panasonic 42X10. This makes a lot of difference to the overall experience. Also, the panasonic could not produce anything close to white! LG produces far better whites. LG was also clearly better with SD transmission. For HD pictures, panasonic is better. Only in "Dynamic" mode, the X10 produces atleast considerable brightness. "Normal" and "Cinema" are DIM. Cinema being the DIMMEST (If there is such a word)

Maybe it is the time Iam going then.. It is always after dark and the show rooms are brightly lit. Should go there in the mornings when there is no light in the showroom I suppose.

I got the quotes of 42k for PQ70 and 48k for X10 + 50 DVDs. So not much of a difference there.

P.S: The salesman in panny showroom says that I can copy whole movies to an SD card and view them on the X10.. :lol: :lol: He should have really thought Iam jobless and have all the time in the world as I visit so often. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile Samsung is still out there hiding..

Can you tell me where is LG BEST located in Miyapur? Can you give me their phone numbers? I wanted to go and called with nos I got from justdial, but they wouldn't take the calls.

If you want to take a demo of Samsung plasma you can visit Bajaj in Panjagutta X roads. I took a demo of LG & Samsung plasmas side by side there. They had a local cable of not so good quality so it was hard to come to a conclusion. PQ was almost same on both LG & Samsung. Only visible difference was that LG (especially PQ70) was far less reflective.

Hi all,

I am looking for 42 inch screen..
my usage is 50% tatasky and 50% HD movies (via Xtremer)..
palnning to buy Xbox later..
I am cosidering LGPQ60/70 or Pana C10/G10..
what would you guys recommend?

blasto..
did you take a look at 42G10 at kukatpally shop?
any idea about the price of G10 there...
will visit that shop soon..

Thanks

Brightness is the most misleading attribute of a display. It is solely because of brightness that masses of people are blindly going and buying LCDs and now the LED backlit LCDs. Brightness increases the instant appeal of a picture, much like loudness increases the instant appeal of the sound, but it's completely irrelevant in determining picture quality unless you're going to be watching it in some place where the lighting cannot be controlled.

Roughly equalise the brightness levels on the Panasonic and the LG (forget the number on the screen, adjust till they look about equal brightness), and then compare the pictures carefully. Ideally brightness should be low, somewhere around the halfway mark of the available range, as should contrast. Once you do this, compare how the displays are showing skin tones, scenes with a mixture of dark and light, stripy patterns for moire, and whatever else you want to look out for. If after all this you still prefer the LG, by all means take it home.

But to decide on buying a plasma and to then pick out a brand based on brightness is entirely counterproductive.

And eyesonyou, I have not viewed the LG plasmas critically and I have no personal opinion on them, but going by reviews Samsung and Panasonic are the brands to go for if you're looking at budget Plasma. I own a Samsung plasma, and had viewed Panasonic plasmas while buying, so I can tell you that both these brands are very good. Purely as a display I prefer the Samsungs (better colours, skin tones), but the panasonic does better blacks and has less image retention. Samsung also has far more calibration options. Can't go too wrong with either.

Brightness is the most misleading attribute of a display. It is solely because of brightness that masses of people are blindly going and buying LCDs and now the LED backlit LCDs. Brightness increases the instant appeal of a picture, much like loudness increases the instant appeal of the sound, but it's completely irrelevant in determining picture quality unless you're going to be watching it in some place where the lighting cannot be controlled.

well do note in a plasma or a lcd the best blacks u can ever see in them is when its switched OFF in night time in a dark room.the samsung lcd tvs win this department,because of their super glossy screen.if its pitch dark both will look the same.
but once u switch on the lights the samsung lcd tv with glossy screen and plasmas are going to reflect some light,even matte screen lcds do reflect a bit so u no longer see those blacks u saw in the dark room.now once u switch ON the lcd/plasma u loose some more blacks.
in day time due to the glare u can't watch those fine shadow details,like u get in the movie I am Legend,also the ambient light plays a role in how the colors look ,now in day time u need brigtness to boost those shadow details and the colors,otherwise even in lcds if u set the backlight to low settings colors and overall picture is washed out,same goes to plasma.
even though boosting the brightness will effect the blacks ,but one can't notice those deep blacks in day time.

Hi all,

I am looking for 42 inch screen..
my usage is 50% tatasky and 50% HD movies (via Xtremer)..
palnning to buy Xbox later..
I am cosidering LGPQ60/70 or Pana C10/G10..
what would you guys recommend?

blasto..
did you take a look at 42G10 at kukatpally shop?
any idea about the price of G10 there...
will visit that shop soon..

Thanks

The best price they gave me for G10 was 65K.

Well, As a person who has seen PQ70 and PV8 side by side (well with a few LCD's in between either), I can pretty confidently say that LG plasmas can hold on their own.
Since subjectively C10 and X10 are worse off than PV8 (atleast as per MBR and few others), I can say that LG plasmas are a good buy.

While it is true that LG's black levels are worse off than competition (pana plasma), they do make up very dynamic imagery with good shadow details (CSI NY and House are my fav shows on TV, both have good deal of indoors with former almost entirely in perpetual darkness).

The trick in LG plasmas, however is that you need to turn of the freakin dynamic contrast, or at best set it to low, else the Television Eats up Shadows and and everything else. Most of the showrooms keep it in "Dynamic" which has active contrast set to High.

Also once you set black levels to Low setting, you get pretty good blacks in the image, however they claim that it will also increase the amount of light reflected by TV.

All in all, I can pretty confidently recommend PQ60 (even PQ30 or 70 for that matter). They are very good at what they do, especially at the price point they are offered.

these are the TV's i compared side by side befor purchasing PQ70.

PV-8 - left side.
PQ60 42" - center
LG scarlet 2 42" - right
Samsung LED 40" - below PQ60. dont remember the exact model.

this is my true experience

First i compared how natural the colors were. that between. LCD and LED were brighter. skin tones really looked artificial. and under similar brightness conditions, you know the plasma advantage. then i gave my preference to plasma.

next was between PV8 and PQ60. both were equally good for my eyes (not perfect, i use specs :)) with SD signals. but when i compared with HD (from BD) i could make out some difference. but initially i couldn't make out the difference in pq actually favors whom. aftrer spending around 5 min i found a clear difference in a scene shown ripples on water. need to say in PV8, the wave propagation was not as clear as in PQ60. even the sales ppl and my frnds could makeout this difference.

so i guess these reviews ( Trusted Reviews UK) are slightly biased.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back