LG 49SJ800T - Ownership Review

Narasimhan_M

I have been a proud owner of LA6910(3D) for over four years and I assumed this journey will continue for a while but god had other plans.

2 Weeks back, I switched on my TV and to my surprise I got 3 Vertical bands and negative image. LG service personnel diagnosed it to be a panel issue and I was given a quote of 41K to fix it. At that time, the TV has done about 9600 usage hours. So the hunt for new TV begun (which was never in my agenda this year :sad:)

I had a open mind and visited few shops since I was not up to date with the TV Models. All the shops had mouth-watering offers on LG OLED but to due to a space issue in my TV Cabinet, I had a restriction for less than 50".

At one of the shops, I was introduced to the Super UHD TV Series by LG. I came back, did some reviews and visited the LG Exclusive shop to know more.

It was good to know that LG Exclusive shop had more deals and also in-depth knowledge of their product range. I was offered a mid range model (Next to OLED) for a very good price.

Since I have already used a LG, I was familiar with the features so finalized the deal. The same day evening the TV was delivered. :yahoo:

It was raining cats and dogs the next day but the LG service personnel did make it for the installation. It was 30 minute job to get the TV up and running. I did a mount on the stand.

Its been over a week with my new TV and I would like share my review which would help potential buyers.

Positives
  1. Excellent picture clarity with vibrant colors. The Nano Cell display is evident with its wide color gamut
  2. Superb response time which makes all fast moving and panning scenes very clear
  3. WebOS is so much fun as the TV itself. Joy to use
  4. Excellent Wifi AC connectivity for utlimate 4K streaming
  5. 4K and HDR was so so good to watch. Jaw dropping visuals with Planet Earth 2
  6. Plays almost all format files thru external HDD. Supports USB 3.0
  7. ARC is good and it will not pass through HD Audio formats
  8. The TV remote can be used as universal remote and I am using it to control TataSky STB
  9. TV comes built in with Amazon, Netflix and other apps
  10. Single remote which combines magic remote into it. Makes navigation so much easier. Has voice search too.
  11. Good options to control picture settings
  12. Supports HDR and Dolby Vision

Not so good things
  1. Black Levels with local dimming is a lot better than my previous set but when watching scenes in a dark environment will throw up banding effect during dark scenes. Local dimming switching off and on is also evident. Not a major push back
  2. The TV bezel has a aluminim finish which makes the TV appear a little different. Would have been great with a black bezel
  3. The stand protrudes in the front and placing soundbar could be a challenge.

Netflix has very good Dolby Vision contents(Stranger Things and Death Note) and the visuals combined with the good sound quality is just out of this world. Make sure to have a high speed broadband connection with a lot of data :)

I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions and please do post your thoughts.

Its time to update my signature :D

Good Day !!!

do mention price, it helps others who might buy the Tv with negotiation. Netflix Strangers Things 2 did you find it too much film grain.

do mention price, it helps others who might buy the Tv with negotiation. Netflix Strangers Things 2 did you find it too much film grain.

The final price I was paid was 94K with a 6K cash back. Coming to Netflix, I did notice lot of film grain while watching "Death Note" and it was in Dolby Vision.
Stranger Things, few episode in Season 2 are now in Dolby vision but no grains anywhere in any of the episodes. I used the Netflix app in my TV.

One Heart was awesome :clapping:

The final price I was paid was 94K with a 6K cash back. Coming to Netflix, I did notice lot of film grain while watching "Death Note" and it was in Dolby Vision.
Stranger Things, few episode in Season 2 are now in Dolby vision but no grains anywhere in any of the episodes. I used the Netflix app in my TV.

One Heart was awesome :clapping:

All episodes are in DV. Finished the season last night. First two episodes had some film grain problem after that none. You might have not noticed since your Tv PQ is superior to mine.

I have been a proud owner of LA6910(3D) for over four years and I assumed this journey will continue for a while but god had other plans.

2 Weeks back, I switched on my TV and to my surprise I got 3 Vertical bands and negative image. LG service personnel diagnosed it to be a panel issue and I was given a quote of 41K to fix it. At that time, the TV has done about 9600 usage hours. So the hunt for new TV begun (which was never in my agenda this year :sad:)

I had a open mind and visited few shops since I was not up to date with the TV Models. All the shops had mouth-watering offers on LG OLED but to due to a space issue in my TV Cabinet, I had a restriction for less than 50".

At one of the shops, I was introduced to the Super UHD TV Series by LG. I came back, did some reviews and visited the LG Exclusive shop to know more.

It was good to know that LG Exclusive shop had more deals and also in-depth knowledge of their product range. I was offered a mid range model (Next to OLED) for a very good price.

Since I have already used a LG, I was familiar with the features so finalized the deal. The same day evening the TV was delivered. :yahoo:

It was raining cats and dogs the next day but the LG service personnel did make it for the installation. It was 30 minute job to get the TV up and running. I did a mount on the stand.

Its been over a week with my new TV and I would like share my review which would help potential buyers.

Positives
  1. Excellent picture clarity with vibrant colors. The Nano Cell display is evident with its wide color gamut
  2. Superb response time which makes all fast moving and panning scenes very clear
  8. The TV remote can be used as universal remote and I am using it to control TataSky STB
  10. Single remote which combines magic remote into it. Makes navigation so much easier. Has voice search too.

Not so good things
  1. Black Levels with local dimming is a lot better than my previous set but when watching scenes in a dark environment will throw up banding effect during dark scenes. Local dimming switching off and on is also evident. Not a major push back
  2. The TV bezel has a aluminim finish which makes the TV appear a little different. Would have been great with a black bezel

Netflix has very good Dolby Vision contents(Stranger Things and Death Note) and the visuals combined with the good sound quality is just out of this world. Make sure to have a high speed broadband connection with a lot of data :)

I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions and please do post your thoughts.

Good Day !!!
Thinking about buying this TV, could you please check whether the TV is a RGB or a RGBW panel.

Hi Narsimhan, I bought the lg UJ795, paid 88k with 5kcasback, u mentioned about banding effect. Is that the two thick shades you see on the left and right side if screen while watching dark enviroments?

Hi Narsimhan, I bought the lg UJ795, paid 88k with 5kcasback, u mentioned about banding effect. Is that the two thick shades you see on the left and right side if screen while watching dark enviroments?

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy your new TV.

Banding effect -> Lets assume we are watching the TV in a dark environment preferably a 1920*800 resolution so we can see the dark bars top and bottom. In dark scenes, we can see the halo around areas and this will extended to the area around it with a white shade which will make black appear grey.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy your new TV.

Banding effect -> Lets assume we are watching the TV in a dark environment preferably a 1920*800 resolution so we can see the dark bars top and bottom. In dark scenes, we can see the halo around areas and this will extended to the area around it with a white shade which will make black appear grey.
Understood, Thank you Narsimhan.

I signed up on this website just to ask you questions. :). Can you please confirm the native refresh rate of this tv. Flipkart lists it as 50hz but on lg malaysia website the same is listed as 100hz. Also, is the panel 10 bits or 12 bits? Thanks

I signed up on this website just to ask you questions. :). Can you please confirm the native refresh rate of this tv. Flipkart lists it as 50hz but on lg malaysia website the same is listed as 100hz. Also, is the panel 10 bits or 12 bits? Thanks

Hi... I checked my specs and can you tell me a way to find it ?

Hi... I checked my specs and can you tell me a way to find it ?
Hi bro. Thanks for the reply. I got to know the bit depth. It's 10. :). However, for the refresh rate, is it possible for you to connect the tv to a laptop/pc? After connecting, right click on desktop, set screen resolution, then advanced and then click on monitor tab. You can get to know the refresh rate there.

Hi bro. Thanks for the reply. I got to know the bit depth. It's 10. :). However, for the refresh rate, is it possible for you to connect the tv to a laptop/pc? After connecting, right click on desktop, set screen resolution, then advanced and then click on monitor tab. You can get to know the refresh rate there.

I will do this today and let you know the rate. Thanks much for sharing the steps :)

SJ is native real 10Bit panel. Refresh rate is 1080p @ 120hz or 4K @ 60hz. From 23hz to 120hz depending on resolution.

SJ is native real 10Bit panel. Refresh rate is 1080p @ 120hz or 4K @ 60hz. From 23hz to 120hz depending on resolution.
Thanks for the reply bro. I saw 50hz on flipkart that's why I was concerned. Is this documented anywhere? I want to be absolutely sure before spending 90k on this. Hope you understand.

Positives

Not so good things

Good Day !!!

Hey,

i am also in purse of upgrading my TV. I visited LG showroom and they had stock of UJ752 series. Couldnt demo an SJ series. Did you compare these two before getting the SJ series? what was the difference?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back