LG and DTS Sound Problem

ramakanth

Hi friends ,

My cousin want to buy LCD 40"/42" LCD TV,

after seeing lot of reviews in this forum and internet

we had finalized 42 ld460 or 42 ld650

we went for audition, keeping some movie formats in pen drive

LG and Samsung playing almost all Videos ( both not playing Vob format, for me Vob format is not much important ) . But sadly LG is failed to play sound for videos encoded with DTS sound. When i ask showroom staff they had no clue why it is not playing sound ( DTS sound is very important for me , because DTS is common in most of the movies we download from internet )

After we came home and searching the Internet for this problem , we got to know that LG won't support DTS sound , because they didn't paid license fees for DTS, that's why we wont see DTS logo in lg products .:sad:

The LG HT554TH Home Cinema and the Mystery of the Missing DTS Sound From "Ask The Experts: TechLore
( it is really bad even my old Philips dvd player has DTS logo , i dont know why LG had not paid DTS license fees up to now )

But some good news is DTS is now Partners with LG from April 2010 , which means Now LG supports DTS for Future TV's ( 2011 versions or may be 2010 Christmas versions ) :clapping:

DTS | Corporate | DTS Partners with LG to Deliver Superior Audio to Digital Televisions and DMPs

My Question is since now LG has paid license to DTS , can we update firmware to play DTS sound ?

if we can update firmware , we are even interested to buy LG 47" because we will get free blu ray player, if we cant update firmware even that blu ray player cant play DTS sound because it is also from LG & they didn't mention DTS for bluray player in specs ( i think this product was also made before April because there is no DTS logo )

LG Blu Ray HD DVD Players India Model BD370

we don't want to break a deal just for DTS sound, because every other feature is really good in this TV. I hope we can update firmware

Update:

after some more goggling , i got answer for my question

i got to know that LG bought DTS rights for only 1 country ( Korea ) , so we cant expect DTS firmware update or even DTS support tv's also in near future in India from LG

i don't know why LG bought DTS rights only for 1 country in April 2010, where as its rival Samsung bought WORDWIDE rights in feb 2010 and they are already added DTS support in their TVS which are in the market

DTS | Corporate | DTS Partners With Samsung To Deliver Superior Audio To Digital Televisions Worldwide

i hope this info is useful for you too

DTS may be important for you, but AC3 (Dolby Digital) is more common especially in DiVX(XVID) encoded videos. Many TVs do not support DTS. I will never decide a TV on DTS capability. If I think DTS is important for me I will be looking at a media player and a home theater.

@ ramakanth

Yes even I heard LG LD460 is not supporting DTS and there is no firmware for this, recently I bought samsung LA40C550 and this LCD supports DTS/Dolby..

Update:

i got to know that LG bought DTS rights for only 1 country ( Korea ) , so we cant expect DTS firmware update or even DTS support tv's also in near future in India from LG

i don't know why LG bought DTS rights only for 1 country in April 2010, where as its rival Samsung bought WORDWIDE rights in feb 2010 and they are already added DTS support in their TVS which are in the market

DTS | Corporate | DTS Partners With Samsung To Deliver Superior Audio To Digital Televisions Worldwide

@Ramkanth, i dont think you should decide on the TV just because it plays DTS or not. LG PQ is much better than similar speced Samsung IMHO. Also LG A.S.S. is much better compared to Samsung & great VFM.

Check out the LD550 & LD 560 range from LG. LG on the flipside plays more movie formats than Samsung..

Rgds,
Ranjit

LG LD460 TV is not supporting DTS/Dolby digital, I read in one of the Malaysian tech forum people tried to contact LG customer support and even they don't have any idea about this. I am not sure about this TV whether it supports firmware update or not. In samsung you have a option to update firmware in future. Just download the latest firmware software into pen drive and update in your LCD. Please note, samsung has many such important features for future ready solutions which LG don't have.... consider all these before buying any LCD.

Last edited:
LG LD460 TV is not supporting DTS/Dolby digital, I read in one of the Malaysian tech forum people tried to contact LG customer support and even they don't have any idea about this. I am not sure about this TV whether it supports firmware update or not. In samsung you have a option to update firmware in future. Just download the latest firmware software into pen drive and update in your LCD. Please note, samsung has many such important features for future ready solutions which LG don't have.... consider all these before buying any LCD.
I've 47LD650 and It playes Dolby digiltal 5.1 format without any issue but yest it dont't play dts sound.

i have LG LV 5500. I have similar issues playing DTS files. So i am relying on media player to play. It would have beenvery good had they had DTS support in the LG TV.

why wud you want to return the lcd if it cannot play DTS ...

even if it plays DTS wud you actually get the surround feeling.

its a TV to watch and usb playback on any tv as a fact is more of gimmick..

just grab a asus mini for 3.5k and you will be good rather than hooking usb everytimt to the tv...

Update:

I have LG 42LS5700 and it supports DTS.

Hello to everyone! Unfortunately i am another dts "victim" using LG stuff like the LG HT805TH home cinema 5.1. Looking over and over via the net i found a hack solution in order to enable the dts on it. After following some instructions [go to the home menu, press pause and enter 1472] i entered a super high ultra secret :lol: menu, when a product code (?) came up and i changed a letter as the instructions said [f1 to f9]. The sound really changed! Till then i had a 2 channel sound. After enabling that thing my sound expanded to all 5.1 channels. The only problem i have now, is that my home cinema splits the exactly same sound over the 5 channels. Even the speaker plays the same sound as the others do! So i think that move didn't actually enable the dts on the LG home cinema. It just shared the same sound all over in a way that dts does not work. Any similar experiences?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back