LG CX Discussion (No Price Talk)

And all my app crashes which i have detailed in previous posts , have disappeared since i removed the plastic film from the rear of my tv. The front film was removed on day 1.
Not even 1 crash in the last 15 odd days.
The installers should remove the films as not everyone is comfortable doing such stuff.
And the rear film looks like its part of the tv with no extended tab at the corner like in the front.

I have been watching the mandalorian on the cx through the inbuilt disney app and its bitrate hovers around 5 mbps. The quality is borderline full hd . It seems lg has not updated the Disney hotstar app in India to 4k , while as usual the rest of the world has 4k.
I am planning to raise a stink through their customer care and would encourage others to join in.
We pay a premium for their TV's as compared to the west and cant even use our screens to their capacity . I am not happy.
If you get such an expensive TV, please, for the love of god don't use the inbuilt apps of Tizen/webOS etc. Even a basic streaming stick like firestick 4k will give you much better app experience. Also, the firestick 4k's Disney app does support 4k and Dolby Vision.

The installers should remove the films as not everyone is comfortable doing such stuff.
That's the most Indian thing I've heard ;)

I have been watching the mandalorian on the cx through the inbuilt disney app and its bitrate hovers around 5 mbps. The quality is borderline full hd . It seems lg has not updated the Disney hotstar app in India to 4k , while as usual the rest of the world has 4k.
I am planning to raise a stink through their customer care and would encourage others to join in.
We pay a premium for their TV's as compared to the west and cant even use our screens to their capacity . I am not happy.

Is it like this ? I have been after hotstar to update their app on LG webOS but it seems they are yet to roll out an update on LG webOS as well as on Tizen (which powers Samsung). They however have upgraded their android app/firestick app to support 4K and 5.1 Audio including DV quite recently. I think this will be affecting those areas where Hotstar has an official presence.

If you get such an expensive TV, please, for the love of god don't use the inbuilt apps of Tizen/webOS etc. Even a basic streaming stick like firestick 4k will give you much better app experience. Also, the firestick 4k's Disney app does support 4k and Dolby Vision.

I agree as I have been using the firestick 4K and magic remote can control the firestick too. However in some cases the in built apps are a little better as they take a little less time in opening up the home page and are very fast in adjusting the resolution as compared to the firestick app. Further if you check the native netflix app I think that is fully optimised and displays in 4K and DV so I would point my fingers to Hotstar which is the culprit here. Though I have been sending them several suggestions they are implementing some of them and very very slowly.

Last edited:

That's the most Indian thing I've heard ;)
Disagree. Their Netflix, YouTube and apple apps are very good. And if they can give 4k support in the west for Disney , they can do the same here. Not being unnecessarily demanding.
And Every Indian is not a coconut.

Is it like this ? I have been after hotstar to update their app on LG webOS but it seems they are yet to roll out an update on LG webOS as well as on Tizen (which powers Samsung). They however have upgraded their android app/firestick app to support 4K and 5.1 Audio including DV quite recently. I think this will be affecting those areas where Hotstar has an official presence.

I agree as I have been using the firestick 4K and magic remote can control the firestick too. However in some cases the in built apps are a little better as they take a little less time in opening up the home page and are very fast in adjusting the resolution as compared to the inbuilt app. Further if you check the native netflix app I think that is fully optimised and displays in 4K and DV so I would point my fingers to Hotstar which is the culprit here. Though I have been sending them several suggestions they are implementing some of them and very very slowly.
Always good to get answers from logical people who dont behave like sheep and accept their lot .
I am blaming lg for not extending the Disney 4k facility to Indian cx. Sent them a emphatic email and WhatsApp msg. Frankly i got bugged watching mandalorian at hd quality, pretty nice, while its available at 4k in other countries. I can use my firestick as suggested but then i have to buy another one for the other tv. And i won't do that.

Disagree. Their Netflix, YouTube and apple apps are very good. And if they can give 4k support in the west for Disney
Always good to get answers from logical people who dont behave like sheep and accept their lot .
I am blaming lg for not extending the Disney 4k facility to Indian cx. Sent them a emphatic email and WhatsApp msg. Frankly i got bugged watching mandalorian at hd quality, pretty nice, while its available at 4k in other countries. I can use my firestick as suggested but then i have to buy another one for the other tv. And i won't do that.
Sure as long as they do not have an app it is their (LG's) fault but once the app is there it is the app developer who should be responsible. I think if enough ppl raise their voices hotstar will listen. Even their 5.1 support came only last year. Though they have tied up with disney for content but the app/ui is not quite upto the mark.

Hotstar in india was initially aimed towards ppl who wanted cricket on the go and now though they are targeting a different set of ppl with these shows etc they need to improve on lot of factors.

Unfortunately, LG cannot be blamed for this, it is Hotstar's job to update their apps across platforms. Samsung TVs also haven't been updated by Hotstar for 4K HDR.

I am setting up a study/media room. The distance between the sitting position and the TV is about 6 foot. What size TV should i buy?

Disagree. Their Netflix, YouTube and apple apps are very good. And if they can give 4k support in the west for Disney , they can do the same here. Not being unnecessarily demanding.
LG doesn't own the apps; Disney, Netflix and Google do. All LG does is provide an option for the app package distribution to the TVs using their app store on WebOS.

Even if LG wants to give you Dolby Vision, all they can do is request the Devs at Hotstar to do it. And the devs at Hotstar don't really care because the number of people owning WebOS TVs in India and owning Hotstar Premium is very very small. Most people have the 'free' Hotstar VIP account, so since the userbase is so small they won't bother spending dev resources on developing AND testing it till later.

And even if you get a firestick 4k, you can still use the internal apps for other things if you want. You just have extra options. Not to mention that internal apps on CX can't pass Dolby TrueHD audio while the firestick 4k will.
And Every Indian is not a coconut.
But most are. I've seen people with 6-year-old TVs with plastic film and the marketing paper for TV specs on the front. Anyway, it was all in good fun, didn't mean anything towards you. Cheers!

Unfortunately, LG cannot be blamed for this, it is Hotstar's job to update their apps across platforms. Samsung TVs also haven't been updated by Hotstar for 4K HDR.
Read on the net that Disney put no effort in introducing their app in India and just adopted the hotstar app. Which is not our problem.
Disney has a running 4k app for Lg which they can easily transfer to Indian mfd TV's. Just both taking Indians for granted as we will try to jerry rig with firestick and chromecast and not complain against our "betters".
Lightgamer's answer is typical of this .
Dont expect essential service from LG. Imagine your tv is mounted on the wall and you have no idea that the rear has a plastic film . And keep on suffering through heating issues, and the wall gap is a couple of centimeters. I don't see many peering in, identifying and removing the rear film if they have no idea.
We dont demand proper service and so dont get it. Applies to the app situation too.

The installers won’t care. My c9 was delivered without a front film. I had a doubt it was a display unit and even the tech who unboxed it had a weird look on his face when there was no film. So after installing I asked them to check the usage hours and confirm if it’s a display unit. They lied straight to my face it’s brand new and there is no such option to check usage hours and that some units are shipped without film on the display. I later checked the usage hours and it was 342 hours and the TV was kept on display at a showroom for two months. We only need to be careful and make sure everything is in place. We don’t need to but we have to

And even if you get a firestick 4k, you can still use the internal apps for other things if you want. You just have extra options. Not to mention that internal apps on CX can't pass Dolby TrueHD audio while the firestick 4k will.
Btw how to get Dolby Tru HD from Fire stick. As far as I am aware this is not possible.

But most are. I've seen people with 6-year-old TVs with plastic film and the marketing paper for TV specs on the front. Anyway, it was all in good fun, didn't mean anything towards you. Cheers!
This is stereotyping. :)

Dont expect essential service from LG. Imagine your tv is mounted on the wall and you have no idea that the rear has a plastic film . And keep on suffering through heating issues, and the wall gap is a couple of centimeters. I don't see many peering in, identifying and removing the rear film if they have no idea.
We dont demand proper service and so dont get it. Applies to the app situation too.
The installer who was deputed to my place did remove both films on day 1, though I do not share a great experience with LG techs. I have been after Hotstar for more than last three years with umpteen suggestions but it takes time for their devs to take out time and I think most of them are technically challenged too. You got to understand though hotstar has an tie up with disney it is not exactly one to one as hotstar has more content like hbo, showtime and live sports which is their main attraction and as I stated earlier this is their main bread and butter therefore they are more likely to optimise the service for small phones with real crappy 4g connection than as rightly pointed out by @lightgamer to allocate resources for a very small proportion of their viewers with high end TVs and fiber to home internet. But again they are catching up and at the price are simply unbeatable. Though if a few ppl come together and raise these issues they might get to fixing it quickly. Hope for the best.

Yeah final onus is on Hotstar devs (or Disney to give a shit about their service in India and lean on Star). The Android Hotstar app is thankfully updated for DolbyVision, HDR and also does 5.1 sound on selected titles, but weirdly enough doesn't shift to 16:9 full screen on the Krait Dragon scene in Season 2 Episode 1 of the Mandalorian, while the Hotstar app on Fire TV does it on the same scene. I tested the scene out on the same TV using native Android app and on the FireTv 4k. Per Sony aspect ratio is completely controlled by the app (the options to change aspect ratio aren't available on native apps) so maybe this is another weird quirk of apps on different platforms having different features maybe?

Disney has bought Fox and taken over their assets and hence Hotstar transformed into Disney + Hotstar. Overall quality is very low despite the fact that content is good.

You'll need to passthrough that audio via eARC to a receiver/soundbar capable of that. Any other way will not work.

The firestick does not allow multichannel audio (lossless) to be passed through even by sideloading kodi. As far I am aware even if I plug the firestick into the receiver it still does not bitstream dts master hd. Maybe something to do with the fireos skin whcih is not letting kodi o/p multichannel audio (lossless).

No streaming service in India streams lossless audio streams so how do I chk ? I get Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital plus and even Dolby Atmos formats thru firestick.

Earc is required when we need to plug the firestick in the tv and use the audio return channel but when I directly plug in the receiver I do not need that. However I do get dolby tru hd and dts master on using kodi on the laptop and connecting the same to the receiver

Last edited:
far I am aware even if I plug the firestick into the receiver it still does not bitstream dts master hd. Maybe something to do with the fireos skin whcih is not letting kodi o/p multichannel audio
DTS doesn't work on CX. Dolby TrueHD will if you passthrough it. Rtings has a handy chart for CX:

1624355802365.png
No streaming service in India streams lossless audio streams so how do I chk ? I get Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital plus and even Dolby Atmos formats thru firestick.
You can download some test files to check:

You can play them via Plex/VLC from your firestick if you know how to stream local networks.
Earc is required when we need to plug the firestick in the tv and use the audio return channel but when I directly plug in the receiver I do not need that.
Yes, because ARC and eARC are return channels (notice the RC at the end). HDMI and DP are half-duplex protocols from the start so they only allow sending the information one way.

So if you connect your firestick to the receiver, you just get information into the receiver via HDMI in which will support all formats. However, this won't work with a TV as TV has no HDMI out ports, so it needs the return channel.
However I do get dolby tru hd and dts master on using kodi on the laptop and connecting the same to the receiver
Again, this is the same situation. Your laptop has HDMI out like firestick 4k.

DTS doesn't work on CX. Dolby TrueHD will if you passthrough it. Rtings has a handy chart for CX:

You can download some test files to check:

You can play them via Plex/VLC from your firestick if you know how to stream local networks.

Yes, because ARC and eARC are return channels (notice the RC at the end). HDMI and DP are half-duplex protocols from the start so they only allow sending the information one way.

So if you connect your firestick to the receiver, you just get information into the receiver via HDMI in which will support all formats. However, this won't work with a TV as TV has no HDMI out ports, so it needs the return channel.

Again, this is the same situation. Your laptop has HDMI out like firestick 4k.
I was very clear and it seems that you not fully understood what I meant.

1. I know CX does not support DTS passthrough

2. I stated that I have plugged my firestick in the receiver

3. Lossless Audio tracks cannot be passed from firestick though the same can be played back from the laptop (using kodi and media library on another machine)

. Even a basic streaming stick like firestick 4k will give you much better app experience. Also, the firestick 4k's Disney app does support 4k and Dolby Vision.

4. Just wanted to know how Dolby Tru HD (as you have stated) is being passed from firestick so I may try out the same plugging my firestick into the receiver

I was very clear and it seems that you not fully understood what I meant.

1. I know CX does not support DTS passthrough

2. I stated that I have plugged my firestick in the receiver

3. Lossless Audio tracks cannot be passed from firestick though the same can be played back from the laptop (using kodi and media library on another machine)

4. Just wanted to know how Dolby Tru HD (as you have stated) is being passed from firestick so I may try out the same plugging my firestick into the receiver
Ah, I messed up. You are correct, firestick 4k doesn't support DTS HD or TrueHD. You'll have to get shield or Apple TV 4k.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back