LG CX Discussion (No Price Talk)

These problems are not on iOS devices and hence OLED iPhones look so good for HDR viewing. Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest even did a complete test on the iPhone 12 pro and found the display significantly superior to any TV and close to his $30k reference monitor. Check it out here:

Now pple are going to say it’s better to install iPhone 12 Pro vs an Oled tv cause it can do 1000 nits hahaha.

You have no idea what you're talking about. There is a professional gamut test on phones available at Displaymate and they do significantly higher gamut than most TVs out there. RGB OLED panels used in phones have a much purer way to produce colours and hence can easily exceed what TVs with LCD panels (transmissive) or WRGB OLEDs (white colour mixed in makes spectral distribution impure).

Rec. 2020 is just a colour space, and has nothing to do with a panel itself. And the top of the line AMOLED panels do significantly higher than DCI-P3 colour space, which no TV currently can do to my knowledge.

This is from Displaymate's review of the OnePlus 9 Pro. They haven't tested the S21 Ultra yet, which has an even newer emitter and should do better than this:

In the top image, the phone can do 110% DCI-P3 colour gamut, which would be significantly higher than any TV rtings has tested till date.
The how does HDR looks shit on S10+ compared to my TV? Black crush is so intense that you can't see so many details. Plus one plus 9 pro can't even display pure blacks on HDR. Reviewers on Gsmarena said the same. Even both of my amoled phones ( k20 pro and S10+) looks pixelated in dark scenes plus the smearing. Dci P3 120% doesn't matter if it stil looks understated. Btw I think rec.2020 is bigger than dci P3 and is 3 dimensional.

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_194201.jpg
    IMG_20210627_194201.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Now pple are going to say it’s better to install iPhone 12 Pro vs an Oled tv cause it can do 1000 nits hahaha.
Lol haha. I have seen Dolby vision on iphone X. Looked crap to me. Way under saturated. I have tried watching 20-30 times. I can say it is unwatchable.

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_194630.jpg
    IMG_20210627_194630.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The how does HDR looks shit on S10+ compared to my TV? Black crush is so intense that you can't see so many details. Plus one plus 9 pro can't even display pure blacks on HDR. Reviewers on Gsmarena said the same. Even both of my amoled phones ( k20 pro and S10+) looks pixelated in dark scenes plus the smearing. Dci P3 120% doesn't matter if it stil looks understated. Btw I think rec.2020 is bigger than dci P3 and is 3 dimensional.
As I mentioned above already and you conveniently ignored, the software on android phones is bad and the displays aren't tuned properly. I'm talking about the panels, not the phone displays themselves.

I never said X android phone looks better than TVs. Obviously not. What I'm saying is that the panel is superior. Unfortunately, the OEMs can't make decent software to colour manage and android's default colour management is garbage.
Lol haha. I have seen Dolby vision on iphone X. Looked crap to me. Way under saturated. I have tried watching 20-30 times. I can say it is unwatchable.
iPhone X can't do Dolby Vision. I'm sure you saw it though.
Even if you watch 1080p, small details can't be seen in smartphone.
It can't resolve it.
Huh what! The phones have 1080p/1440p displays so they definitely can resolve those pixels. There have been microscope shots of these phones on multiple sites.

Obviously it's worthless if you watch it from a feet away and our eyes can resolve the detail, but the phone definitely can. You can try watching from 5-6" and you'll be able to see individual pixels resolving details.
I'm just talking about the panel themselves. Obviously, it's better to watch on a big screen due to multiple reasons. It's not practical to view from 5-6" away from a phone and at 1 feet away the viewing angle to the phone is too narrow. At closer distances (5-6 inches), both your eyes project very different angles to the phone and hence it will cause headache after a few minutes.

As I mentioned above already and you conveniently ignored, the software on android phones is bad and the displays aren't tuned properly. I'm talking about the panels, not the phone displays themselves.

I never said X android phone looks better than TVs. Obviously not. What I'm saying is that the panel is superior. Unfortunately, the OEMs can't make decent software to colour manage and android's default colour management is garbage.

iPhone X can't do Dolby Vision. I'm sure you saw it though.

Huh what! The phones have 1080p/1440p displays so they definitely can resolve those pixels. There have been microscope shots of these phones on multiple sites.

Obviously it's worthless if you watch it from a feet away and our eyes can resolve the detail, but the phone definitely can. You can try watching from 5-6" and you'll be able to see individual pixels resolving details.

I'm just talking about the panel themselves. Obviously, it's better to watch on a big screen due to multiple reasons. It's not practical to view from 5-6" away from a phone and at 1 feet away the viewing angle to the phone is too narrow. At closer distances (5-6 inches), both your eyes project very different angles to the phone and hence it will cause headache after a few minutes.
How are panels better? Amoleds are ghosting mess. Plus at low brightness they do a lot of purple smearing.
When you scroll they look so bad.
And about details, I meant our eyes can't really see small details ( like numbers written on billboard which is far). I agree that they are much better than their IPS counterparts but they can't compete with TVs.
And one doubt, why iPhone can't do Dolby vision? I see it on Netflix app supporting it.

How are panels better? Amoleds are ghosting mess. Plus at low brightness they do a lot of purple smearing.
When you scroll they look so bad.
That only happens in older displays, low brightness and white text on black background. That's a rare case. If you keep brightness above 30% or don't use white text on black background, that will never happen.

In all other scenarios, OLED will smear/ghost way less than LCD due to faster response times.
And about details, I meant our eyes can't really see small details ( like numbers written on billboard which is far)
Again, nothing to do with the panel themselves. I never recommended to use them as HDR home theatres, just discussing AMOLED panels vs TV panels.
And one doubt, why iPhone can't do Dolby vision? I see it on Netflix app supporting it.
It can play back DV, but the screen on X isn't proper HDR screen. 11 and above are the ones with proper HDR support and upgraded screens.

Lol you missed the sarcasm and gave me such a serious explanation hahahah.

Don't want to de-rail from the original topic, just my two cents. Samsung's S20 panels are really awesome, haven't had a chance to lay my hands on S21 yet. That said, they can produce a bright, rich, and vibrant image. Although, they don't support DV, watching HDR content from 5/6" on S20 is an absolute joy. Here is a comprehensive analysis of the S20 panel.

Here are screenshots of S20 (Right) n QN90A (Left) please click n zoom the pics. I know this is an unfair comparison between a 2400 nits vs 1000 odd .

A comparison with an WGRB OLED TV would be more apt but my CX has not yet been installed in another room... perhaps when it is i would revisit the thread n post the comparitive pics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210628-011028_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210628-011028_Gallery.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20210628-010547_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210628-010547_YouTube.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 23
based on personal experience with my iPhone 11 pro max the display is very good.Netflix and Apple Tv+ looks absolutely spectacular. Both support Dolby Vision.

Its too bad that prime and hotstar does not support HDR on iPhone yet.The best part is I don't have to play with a billion settings just keep the brightness at max and its all set.

Getting a lot of judder while watching the euro cup through tatasky. Expert modes with their motion handling switched off are unusable. Gives you a headache .
Using normal mode or cinema mode. Anyone got the settings for watching sports ? I will set the sports mode to the suggested settings and test. Currently the sports mode with default settings is too garish.
Reverted all picture settings to original and the viewing experience is back to normal. Watching sports in standard mode.
My tv has been on for 270 odd hours in 48 days with a average of 6 hrs per day.
How do we know that the pixel refresher is working when its operating ? Any indications ? I have not touched the default settings.

Reverted all picture settings to original and the viewing experience is back to normal. Watching sports in standard mode.
My tv has been on for 270 odd hours in 48 days with a average of 6 hrs per day.
How do we know that the pixel refresher is working when its operating ? Any indications ? I have not touched the default settings.
It will not work while it’s operating. Once every 4 hours it runs a short cycle of 5-10 mins when the tv is shut down using only the remote. When you go near the tv you will hear faint click sound and once it’s completed you will hear a loud click noise. What I do is when ever I finish watching something I shut down the tv using remote alone and leave the power on in the main switch for 15 mins.

It will not work while it’s operating. Once every 4 hours it runs a short cycle of 5-10 mins when the tv is shut down using only the remote. When you go near the tv you will hear faint click sound and once it’s completed you will hear a loud click noise. What I do is when ever I finish watching something I shut down the tv using remote alone and leave the power on in the main switch for 15 mins.
How long is this cycle ?

Reply from lg regarding hotstar app not in 4k in india -
"
Greetings from LG Electronics.!!
We would like to inform you that OLED65CXPTA is true 4K TV and will support any 4K content playback if Disney Hotstar App provide .
For any further assistance, please call us on LG Toll Free number 1800-315-9999 / 1800-180-9999.
You may also connect with us on Whatsapp. Our whatsapp contact no. is 9711709999.
For any additional helpful information about LG product, please visit the following link:
https://www.lg.com/in/support/product-help
Thanking and assuring you for best services always.
Thanks and Regards

LG Customer Support"

As expected they passed the buck to hotstar . Scum.

Reply from lg regarding hotstar app not in 4k in india -
"
Greetings from LG Electronics.!!
We would like to inform you that OLED65CXPTA is true 4K TV and will support any 4K content playback if Disney Hotstar App provide .
For any further assistance, please call us on LG Toll Free number 1800-315-9999 / 1800-180-9999.
You may also connect with us on Whatsapp. Our whatsapp contact no. is 9711709999.
For any additional helpful information about LG product, please visit the following link:
https://www.lg.com/in/support/product-help
Thanking and assuring you for best services always.
Thanks and Regards

LG Customer Support"

As expected they passed the buck to hotstar . Scum.
Obviously not their fault that hotstar has not rolled out the 4k update on webos but they should also taken it up with hotstar as being an organisation it would have created more pressure on hotstar to update at the earliest and would have benefitted the end consumers. Though in India I would have been surprised if LG had actually taken the cudgels on our behalf. As expected.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back