LG Plasma or LED 3D???

There is a difference of around Rs 40000 between the plasma and LED models. Is it worth going for LED over the plasma TV at this price? The plasma model is around 47000 and LED for 87000.

The IPS panels of LG (and Panasonic) LED TVs offer better angle of view but sacrifice on contrast and black levels. In this respect the Sony's and Samsung's are better. But angle of view importance is hyperventilated. IPS panels claim 178 view which is 89 from perpendicular. Will anyone watch TV at more than 50 from perpendicular? Highly unlikely. And even if they do, there will be no joy, regardless on whether picture is impaired or not.

When it comes to 3D, I personally prefer the passive 3D. But 3D viewing will be less than 10%. And at more than 40 angle (from central perpendicular), 3D effect is greatly reduced if not eliminated. But all said, if 3D is very important, stick to LG's passive 3D. Between the two models you mentioned, LM6400 will definitely be better.

Finally, where is the 40,000 difference coming from? Which plasma models are you comparing? From the price front it looks like LG plasma and LG 42LM6400. Without trying to get into the plasma vs. LED debate (oh no! not again!!), I would say it is better to look at Panasonic 42XT50 which is definitely better VFM than 42LM6400 (or LG plasma).

Last edited:
Finally, where is the 40,000 difference coming from? Which plasma models are you comparing? From the price front it looks like LG plasma and LG 42LM6400. Without trying to get into the plasma vs. LED debate (oh no! not again!!), I would say it is better to look at Panasonic 42XT50 which is definitely better VFM than 42LM6400 (or LG plasma).

Thnx for the reply! The price difference of Rs 40000 is between the 2 models of LG I mentioned (42PM4700 and 42LM6400).
I want to go for a passive 3D TV. On reading reviews, it appears that a plasma is better than the LED TV. Though LG offers passive 3D technology for its LEDs, I am not sure if the plasma tv (42PM4700) is passive 3D.

On reading this forum, I gather that Panasonic plasmas are good. So now I'm confused - whether to go for the LG models I'd identified or zero in on a pana.

help!

Thnx for the reply! The price difference of Rs 40000 is between the 2 models of LG I mentioned (42PM4700 and 42LM6400).
I want to go for a passive 3D TV. On reading reviews, it appears that a plasma is better than the LED TV. Though LG offers passive 3D technology for its LEDs, I am not sure if the plasma tv (42PM4700) is passive 3D.

On reading this forum, I gather that Panasonic plasmas are good. So now I'm confused - whether to go for the LG models I'd identified or zero in on a pana.

help!
Be very sure that plasma is the right choice for you. Learn about plasma drawbacks:

- not sutable for brightly lit rooms where light cannot be controlled (reduced)
- temporary image retention problems
- higher power consumption

Further entry level plasma such as 42PM4700 are HD-Ready and not full HD. Now this does not matter for HD DTH/Cable but if you will watch true HD stuff via BD. But the LM6400 is a full HD model. The LG plasma used active 3D and check whether glasses are included.

And then you must have already read (or should read) about plasma benefits. If you decide plasma Panasonic and Samsung are better bets, not that LG is bad.

But first thing is to get clarity on the plasma vs. LED.

If you wish to see a lot of SD content then go for LG Plasma, it seems they have mastered the SD upscaling area better than any other player in the arena. recently there was a software update on my airtel HD STB after which the SD channels look even better on my LG Plasma. They were pretty good anyways to begin with. So if you watch a lot of regional stuff or SD channels then go for LG plasma blindly.

But the LM6400 is a full HD model. The LG plasma used active 3D and check whether glasses are included.

Thnx. for the info! I was under the impression that the LG plasma is passive 3D. The showroom salesman also said so!

So this automatically rules out this model.

Are there any 3D plasma models with passive technology?

No. There are no passive 3D plasma models. You should not rule out any 3D TV just because it is not having passive technology. 2D PQ is more important because 2D is what you will watch 90+% of the time - perhaps as high as 98%.

Thnx. for your responses. My requirements basically are:

1. Tata Sky HD
2. Gaming - PS2 as of now, maybe upgraded to PS3/XBOX sometime later
3. 3D content (I'm not sure how much of this will be used....maybe it will lose its novelty once bought! So passive 3D as it's mre user-friendly)
4. Being in a transferable job, the TV will be moved around every 3-5 yrs. So should be suitable for all types of lighting.

I liked LG 3D coz of-
1. user friendly 3D features
2. 3D technology is passive 3D
3. clarity (though I'm not so sure about this as I have not compared with other brands)

I'm looking to buy a 3D model as it is future-ready (i.e. later on I may not repent not buying a 3D TV!) plus it's actually seems fun to see 3D content.

As LG plasma 3D turns out to be active 3D, I'm open to other good brands/models in the market.
I'd appreciate if the forum helps me decide on one!!http://www.hifivision.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

I have purchased lg 47 lm 6200@77k in mumbai,and for lg 47 lm 6400 offer was 89k,pl check price with other dealer. 87kg for 42 lm 6400 is very high

Get the LG 3D LED LM6400, you need passive 3D and also no tension of massive reflections and image burn from a plasma.

well if a 3d is a must LG is better in terms of passive
but for the best picture quality you have to trust plasmas only....only very very hi end leds can compete with it.
however plasmas need some extra care to prevent burn in.if you are open to that buy it.

otherwise sony leds offer the best picture in led catagory........

at 75k 50 inch full hd UT panasonic is avilable,
also sony ex series 40 inch is avilable under 70k.......

demo and decide..55 incher leds are very very expensive....40 is good...

What is your budget? What are your viewing habits? What do you want from your TV? For the LG models that you specify - the plasma TV model is about 40K cheaper than the LED TV model - for the same screen size. Both are 3D TVs, yet the plasma model is active 3D, while the LED model is passive 3D TV. Also, the plasma TV model is not full HD, while the LED TV model is full HD.

I have almost finalised on LM6400. There is a variation of around 30K between its 32 and 42 sizes, which I feel is unjustified.

One conundrum - The salesman in the showroom said an improved model LM6410 has been launched, with an increased price differential of Rs 2000. LG WRSherlock says LM6410 is the designated for LM6400 in Africa!

The Smart TV functions seem soooooo complicated for LM6400 (I was going through the user guide).

For 3D viewing, will 32 size be OK? Does someone have 32/42 LM6400 and can guide me?

Last edited:
I have almost finalised on LM6400. There is a variation of around 30K between its 32 and 42 sizes, which I feel is unjustified.

One conundrum - The salesman in the showroom said an improved model LM6410 has been launched, with an increased price of Rs 2000. LG WRSherlock says LM6410 is the designated for LM6400 in Africa!

The Smart TV functions seem soooooo complicated for LM6400 (I was going through the user guide).

For 3D viewing, will 32 size be OK? Does someone have 32/42 LM6400 and can guide me?

No, 32 size will not be ok for 3D viewing, get the 42 INCH set.

newtechie, if you are going for 32incher,my suggestion is, dont waste money on a 3D model. As Etios has suggested, try to get a 42 incher atleast for 3D.
If not stick to a good full HD LED or see if a 3D Plasma will suit your needs.

newtechie, if you are going for 32incher,my suggestion is, dont waste money on a 3D model. As Etios has suggested, try to get a 42 incher atleast for 3D.
If not stick to a good full HD LED or see if a 3D Plasma will suit your needs.

Thanks for helping in decision making. So, I think I will have to go for 42 LM6400 - basically for passive 3D.

Hi newtechie,
As suggested by I audio it is always better to go for a bigger size when buying a 3d TV. I bought my 3d TV in Nov 2011, a 47 incher Lw5700 for exactly 1 lac. The 55incher was around 35k more. Both me n my wife were tempted by the immersive experience it provided but were deterred by the price diff. But now after a years time of owning it whenever we come across a 55 in her we look at each other and say 'we should have bought this one'. So probably you can wait for sometime add some more money to your budget n buy a bigger TV.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back