lg pq70 - initial reactions/doubts/questions

Got the HTS for 43k, best I could find, now only If I can get the TV for around 55-57k, would be awesome. Unfortunately PQ70 is out of stock.

If bluetooth is not that important, then go for PQ60. BT, while a good feature to have, should not be a decisive factor. IMO, if you are getting an AMP, then all you need is a Sony Headphones , that comes with a neat 10.5 feet cable :)

hey guys

1) when i play divx movies through usb i cant access the aspect ratio and picture options which means that i cant change the brightness/contrast which i especially want to keep low for the break-in period. also for the avi files which are 4:3 i cant stretch to full screen. the files which are originally 16:9 but with smaller dimensions then the screen can be zoomed to fit the screen but not the 4:3 stuff. is there any work around for the same?

Hey FilmGuy,

How do you do full screen on 16:9 videos too?
The ones which have cinema resolution (22:9?) have the black bars in my PQ60 and wont become full screen..

I guess this can't be changed? :(

FilmGuy/Allajunaki,

What is the DTH you are using and what is your experience with the PQ?
What is your satisfaction level when you compare the PQ with the CRT you had earlier?

Thanks,

hey blasto
i have TS+ connected via component.
till a week or so ago my viewing distance was about 12ft and i found the PQ frm that distance really good and smooth (and this was on break in settings). things like TIR also was not bothersome and only if i put off all lights and stood a feet away from the tv wuld i notice it.

but just got the ps3 few days back and so to get full effect of HD i moved things around and now my viewing distance is abt 7ft which is the reccomended distance for HD. havent watched blu ray yet but 720p net vids look really good. havent done any calibration yet so will reserve judgement on how good till later.

of course now SD looks like cr*p. the low res pixels stand out like anything. and i notice TIR more and now i see why that can be a deal breaker for some. my brother prefers the previous position but i say that anyways most of the stuff on regular tv is cr*p anyways :eek:hyeah: so we'll get used to it and live with it. atleast this way making full use of the HD aspect.

you know honestly my previous TV a 54" RPTV was more of a wow factor compared to HD. till it died after almost 5 years not a week went by when i didnt get impressed. and this was at 12 ft distance. the 4:3 TS and even the letterboxed dvd's and divx PQ was woah on that. the jump from there to the HD gen hasnt wow'd me as much. i dont know why. there's alot riding on blu-rays to impress me now :rolleyes:

also have posted this on another thread but havent recd a reply as yet, have you'll noticed this -

the tv's native resolution is 1366x768 ie 720p as per tv's website, so max resolution should be 720p or max 1080i.
but now when i hv the ps3 connected via hdmi the tv shows 1080p!! thats strange na?

also when i switch from hdmi to any other input and then back again to hdmi the tv takes 2/3 secs to display the picture. it says 'connecting....' is this normal?

also what height have u guys put up the tv at. my tv's bezel starting 35 in. from floor. now that i have shifted the seating closer i find it a bit high and might hv to lower it.

phew... long post eh...

Hey FilmGuy,

The ones which have cinema resolution (22:9?) have the black bars in my PQ60 and wont become full screen..

missed this..
yeah we have to live with it. my ps3 does zoom in some 4:3 and letterboxed movies to fill the screen. but some it doesnt. i guess it depends on what exact ratio the original file has. but my pio dvd-p doesnt have any options so u get the black bars.

the tv's native resolution is 1366x768 ie 720p as per tv's website, so max resolution should be 720p or max 1080i.
but now when i hv the ps3 connected via hdmi the tv shows 1080p!! thats strange na?

also when i switch from hdmi to any other input and then back again to hdmi the tv takes 2/3 secs to display the picture. it says 'connecting....' is this normal?

also what height have u guys put up the tv at. my tv's bezel starting 35 in. from floor. now that i have shifted the seating closer i find it a bit high and might hv to lower it.

phew... long post eh...

I think the TV is displaying 1080p because it's trying to scale it, I would try and manually allow PS3 to output only 720p and see if that makes any difference. If it's making things worse then I will revert back to 1080p.

Hey FilmGuy,

True.... I just fail to understand why TV manufacturers and studios cant sit together and arrive at a single format. The zoom option will become redundant.

4:3 was too square.... now 16:9 is too wide, guess how the philips 21:10 looks as that is the only HDTV currently available in the amrket where you dont get black bars on top and bottom. The worry there is how will a 4:3 format picture which most of the channels are in look if zoomed to 21:9

all in all the consumer is always at the receiving end....

Hey FilmGuy,

True.... I just fail to understand why TV manufacturers and studios cant sit together and arrive at a single format. The zoom option will become redundant.

4:3 was too square.... now 16:9 is too wide, guess how the philips 21:10 looks as that is the only HDTV currently available in the market where you dont get black bars on top and bottom. The worry there is how will a 4:3 format picture which most of the channels are telecasted in look if zoomed to 21:9

all in all the consumer is always at the receiving end....

FilmGuy/Allajunaki,

What is the DTH you are using and what is your experience with the PQ?
What is your satisfaction level when you compare the PQ with the CRT you had earlier?

Thanks,

Hey Basto,
Sorry not been regular here... Anyways, I use TS+ via Component. Viewing distance is about 8 ft. And yeah, the feeds dont look as good, except for maybe star movies (and few malayalam channels). Axn was a disappointment ( Too bad, Most of the regular stuff I watch are on AXN). So was World movies.

Im yet to hook up my DVD player to the the TV (Its an old unit, Pioneer DV-366).

Also, in the pipeline is to get Boxee running on my 2Ghz P4 Machine and hook it up to TV and use it as HTPC.

There are plans for PS3 in the pipeline. :p :D

Guys,

I am almost zeroed down on LG 42PQ70. Its going to be my living room TV. Could you please rate this TV on my following parameters:

1. Viewing distance: shortest - angular - 6-7ft, longest - straight - 12-14 ft
2. Windows would be on the wall opposite to TV. Currently I have 29" CRT and curtains with thick material.
3. Usage: TATA sky - 70%, upscaling DVD player - 30%, at times connecting pc to the tv. Will buy HDMI compatible motherboard in few months time.

Thanks
NeoOnWheels

Which store in Mumbai would give be a great price for the LG 42PQ70 in exchange of a working flat screen 29" CRT.

Croma (Phoenix) gave me the best price of 37500.

Back