lg pq70 - initial reactions/doubts/questions

3) you can play mkv files using your PC/laptop. even my four year old PC plays them well. using DVI/HDMI converter you can connect it to your TV. you will get decent quality. I use a WDTV for the same. in my experience it gives better PQ.

WDTV will give you better convenience, or more cost effective (if you are building a PC from the scratch for this purpose).
Agreed, with the default Divx codec + TV wont take you far, but there exists some very High Quality open source decoders, that can do some amazing post processing. You are only limited by how much ur PC can take.
I have been using ffdshow for last couple of years, and I can tell you that no standalone player can come close to the magic that these codecs deliver.
The downside of this codec is the learning curve with it (But if anyone is willing to give it a shot, Im willing to help em out :) ).

ffdshow tryouts | Official Website

If you transport video via HDMI (DVI <-> HDMI converters will not incur any loss of PQ, since HDMI carries DVI signals for video anyways) at native resolution, then all the scaling you do off the image can be entirely in software. This gives some of the best upscaler algorithms available, along with some of the best postprocessing of images.
The obvious downside of this way will be the convinience aspect, where you have to hookup cables, do some right click menu action to get everything playing nicely.

BTW, why is pana x10 more by 12K? I guess it's around the same price as LG right?
Well, I was talking from cost at my end.

I got the PQ60 for 40k without home delevery.. (Took it in my car)

The panny guy will not come down from 50k for X10 + 1500 extra for financing which makes it 11.5k more than LG PQ60.

Also, What is the aspect ratio setting you have on the TV? The laptop is displaying 1024 x 768 as 4:3 format?

Thanks,

When I connect my Laptop to TV, laptop auto sets the Resolution to 1366*768.

This takes care of the aspect problem from laptop's perspective. The images are internally scaled by TV to fit in the TV. This is done by TV via EDID interface (All the graphics cards released in last 6 years or more should support this interface, as far as I know).

So you dont have to worry about the pixel mapping.
However, if you set the res to 1024x768, just make sure that you correct the Pixel aspect ratio accordingly.
If you are using XBMC for video playback, then there is an option to do this.
They have this option in ffdshow too (I never used it though, since I let the TV decide upon 1366x768 and let its internal scaler scale to its native res).

@allajunaki, are the images horizontally stretched with a PC input ? I remember reading that these plasmas have rectangular pixels (and hence widescreen with 4:3 aspect ratio) ?

When I connect my Laptop to TV, laptop auto sets the Resolution to 1366*768.

This takes care of the aspect problem from laptop's perspective. The images are internally scaled by TV to fit in the TV. This is done by TV via EDID interface (All the graphics cards released in last 6 years or more should support this interface, as far as I know).

So you dont have to worry about the pixel mapping.
However, if you set the res to 1024x768, just make sure that you correct the Pixel aspect ratio accordingly.
If you are using XBMC for video playback, then there is an option to do this.
They have this option in ffdshow too (I never used it though, since I let the TV decide upon 1366x768 and let its internal scaler scale to its native res).

My TV sets it directly to 1024*768 and so no processing in TV whatsoever. it does displays whatever signal is coming from the PC. I think you have 50" then?

@allajunaki, are the images horizontally stretched with a PC input ? I remember reading that these plasmas have rectangular pixels (and hence widescreen with 4:3 aspect ratio) ?

Whatever happens, happens great!
You can't see any strech in native 16:9 videos. The processing is done by the computer for the native resolution of 1024*768 (meaning the image appears comressed side ways with black bars at the sides in the PC while the picture in the TV appears 16:9.

Congrats! It finally happened.

BTW, why is pana x10 more by 12K? I guess it's around the same price as LG right?

Do post the pics with hathway signal and let us know the tv performance once you test some HD media.

Hey, i honestly took some pictures which look like junk.. :D
If you are around madhapur, drop by if possible.

BTW HD is awesome.. ;)

quick update -
i connected my laptop to the tv thru vga and played a few hd videos (720p trailers, docus) and a tad disappointed.

this is not a criticism of the tv's PQ but HD's PQ. the image was clear and sharp and all but didnt feel like that much of a jump over a good quality dvd seen on a good crt. my 54" rptv was v gd with original dvds connected with pioneer dvdp (component).

i hope that its a case of the laptop/vlc being the culprit and when i buy a ps3 i'll then understand all the fuss abt HD :eek:

I did the same and I have a complete different view. 720p cannot be compared to SD by any strech of imagination.

BTW, I was using SMPlayer and am looking for better media player. VLC somehow displays junk.

Can you try with SMPlayer?

First of all, I have 42PQ60 (42 inches).
Basically, your card perhaps support Pixel aspect ratio and is applying compensation for that. Mine perhaps doesnt. So I get this res.

My Laptop Runs on Vista with an ATI Radeon X2300 Card.

Secondly, Re: Bad qality of media playback from PC. You need to understand that Computer screens are pricipally different from TV's. So whatever settings worked for your laptop screen may not work well with TV.
Also, I dont prefer VLC for anything other than the stuff windows media player(with ffdshow) cannot handle. VLC's Divx and Xvid handling is not very impressive.

Hey Allajunaki,

I have "Just Scan" and "Black Level" settings always greyed out (disabled). Why is that so? Are you able to modify them?

How are you tackling the black bars telecasted in the Cable channels? Zoom looks ugly IMO.

If the purpose of break-in settings is to age all pixels uniformely to 100 Hrs, Is it wise to leave the white wash on for a day or two?

If the purpose of break-in settings is to age all pixels uniformely to 100 Hrs, Is it wise to leave the white wash on for a day or two?

hey blasto - hope u liking yr new tv.
from what i've read (and there are conflicting opinions, as usual) the best way to break in is to put your brightness/contrast levels low (say 40-50%) and just normal tv. white wash will not have the same effect imo. i guess its like with new cars. you'd rather run it on the roads not just keep it running in the garage ;)
also all u guys who hv compared HD to SD via laptops is there alot of difference? i dont have hdmi out and its a thinkpad (ie more for busines type uses so maybe the graphics card isnt meant for a/v as such) and from vga the diff wasnt that much.

also all u guys who hv compared HD to SD via laptops is there alot of difference? i dont have hdmi out and its a thinkpad (ie more for busines type uses so maybe the graphics card isnt meant for a/v as such) and from vga the diff wasnt that much.

Either you have very good quality SD or a bad quality HD.
I too am running HD from a T61 only.

You might already know, a normal 720p HD movie is ~4.5GB in size and in MKV format. It can be anything above 4.5GB to 12GB depending on quality.

Also, With settings optimised for break-in, It is hard to see the difference..

Hey Allajunaki,

I have "Just Scan" and "Black Level" settings always greyed out (disabled). Why is that so? Are you able to modify them?

How are you tackling the black bars telecasted in the Cable channels? Zoom looks ugly IMO.

Well, When in PC mode, TV will turn off a lot of postprocessing done by electronics. This is reduce the input lag. Perhaps they do this for the same reason. Even Colour option is also turned off.

I use zoom. its pretty acceptable to me. But I have my cable fed via component cable ( Tata Sky +)

BLASTO, I guess you had G10 & LG PQ60 on your final list. What's the deciding factor for going ahead with LG? The images published by appuchan for SD looked good (which makes me believe that SD performance is decent) and having full HD should be useful in the near future. I too should be deciding between these two models pretty soon.

For others, could you comment on the following?

1) Several sites & owners mentioned that G10's de-interlacing has problems and it's best to use an external scaler. I don't have experience with AVRs etc, but how feasible & easy is it in practice to use an external device to upscale Tata Sky signal? What different machnisms exist to convert the interlaced signal to a progressive one?

2) I remember someone mentioning that G10 released in India has white balance & gamma controls. Could someone confirm this? And also this helps in improving the somewhat washed out SD pictures?

If I have satisfactory solutions for the above I might be inclined towards G10.

Thanks

Well,
Code:
Tv             59k
Philips BD     17k
Onkyo HTS 3100 20k
Your Cost      96k

Even more reason to seriously think about this combi. Please note that ppl have got HTS 3100 for as low as 16k. My HTS setup is not gonna be very far off from what I have quoted above (except for the BD player, which is gonna be a PS3 for sure).
Got the HTS for 43k, best I could find, now only If I can get the TV for around 55-57k, would be awesome. Unfortunately PQ70 is out of stock.

BLASTO, I guess you had G10 & LG PQ60 on your final list. What's the deciding factor for going ahead with LG? The images published by appuchan for SD looked good (which makes me believe that SD performance is decent) and having full HD should be useful in the near future. I too should be deciding between these two models pretty soon.

For others, could you comment on the following?

1) Several sites & owners mentioned that G10's de-interlacing has problems and it's best to use an external scaler. I don't have experience with AVRs etc, but how feasible & easy is it in practice to use an external device to upscale Tata Sky signal? What different machnisms exist to convert the interlaced signal to a progressive one?

2) I remember someone mentioning that G10 released in India has white balance & gamma controls. Could someone confirm this? And also this helps in improving the somewhat washed out SD pictures?

If I have satisfactory solutions for the above I might be inclined towards G10.

Thanks

Any help here? thanks

Was out on vacation. :D

I did not have G10 in my final list. I Had only X10 and PQ60.
I personally did not demo the G10. The showroom had only S10 and X10.
I did not find any notable difference between the two for the SD/HD videos being played. Even the store did not have 1080p videos so cannot compare in that front. Infact SD will be atleast theoritically better in the X10.

Also, In the near future too, there will NOT be 1080p transmissions. There will be only 720p and 1080i transmissions which X10/PQ60 handles pretty well, infact theoritically better than the 1080p TVs.

When you are talking about 1080p transmissions, you are talking of ~2020 year timeframe, by that time 1080p TVs will be as cheap as CRTs and I would not mind getting a new one as whatever technology exists today will be long lost past by then. If you have a extensive collection of blu rays, 1080p makes sense today.

Also, PQ60's USB though faithfully plays all formats, does not allow for menu access/picture settings/aspect ratio/zoom etc, so I invariably end up using my laptop for movie playback (which is awesome). USB will be useful only when you plan to wall mount. You might want to consider that when deciding between PQ60 & Panasonics. The PQ60 looks gorgeous in living room though while the panasonics have an age old design.

Not sure of G10, But the PQ60 has gamma settings and black level control. While the black level looks like a gimmick, gamma setting is great for SD. With Gamma high, the SD looks pretty much great compared to gamma low/off.

Was out on vacation. :D
Not sure of G10, But the PQ60 has gamma settings and black level control. While the black level looks like a gimmick, gamma setting is great for SD. With Gamma high, the SD looks pretty much great compared to gamma low/off.

Actually the black level Do make a difference in the PQ fo picture. Low Black level does make the blacks, blacker and marked improvement in the Picture.
Gamma level does a lot of magic on shadow details. High gamma makes shadows a lot more darker (but not eat em). High gamma makes tv look good. However for movies, I prefer Gamma mid.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back