LG smart TV having issue with the HDMI ARC

Dineshshank

All these days I have been using the optical audio output on my the LG TV to get connected to my AVR .I can hear the sound both from my TV and AVR.
Recently I upgraded my HDMI cables with HDMI 2 and was trying to connect it to the HDMI ARC port in my TV and AVR HDMI output and turn ON the ARC option in HDMI Settings on my AVR .which shows TV as ARC audio output.
But the sounds comes in my AVR and switch back to the TV speakers.
How to fix this ? Is there any other options ?

By sound coming in avr do you mean sound coming through the speakers connected to the avr? And if you want the audio source to be HDMI you have to connect a blu ray or dvd player to the avr via HDMI. Could you please explain more clearly. What is the source? is it a bluray player or DTH. The audio settings in the tv will work only when you connect the source directly to the Tv and try to get the audio output to the avr.

" And if you want the audio source to be HDMI you have to connect a blu ray or dvd player to the avr via HDMI"

This is not true. You can connect the HDMI ARC output (tv needs this feature, like the one OP has) to the ARC suppported output of the AVR. AVRs can have just HDMI out (like the older ones without ARC). If TV and AVR both has ARC then the OPs connection is right as his sound comes and goes. ARC is really convinient, that you dont need two remotes after such a connection, as the AVR automatically turns on and off with the tv, and the volume control adjustment on tv would adjust the avr volume. Literally u can keep the avr remote out of the table.

My avr is a older Marantz, but for a short while I had a Onkyo (TX NR 809) which didnt had the power of my older Marantz (SR8500). After a while the HDMI board of this Onkyo failed, and if you look in internet about Onkyo and Pioneer receivers HDMI problems, u will get tones of pages filled with the same complaint. Hope thats not your problem. Have you tried another AVR on this tv? Or have you tried this AVR on another TV?

This is not true. You can connect the HDMI ARC output (tv needs this feature, like the one OP has) to the ARC suppported output of the AVR. AVRs can have just HDMI out (like the older ones without ARC). If TV and AVR both has ARC then the OPs connection is right as his sound comes and goes. ARC is really convinient, that you dont need two remotes after such a connection, as the AVR automatically turns on and off with the tv, and the volume control adjustment on tv would adjust the avr volume. Literally u can keep the avr remote out of the table.

My avr is a older Marantz, but for a short while I had a Onkyo (TX NR 809) which didnt had the power of my older Marantz (SR8500). After a while the HDMI board of this Onkyo failed, and if you look in internet about Onkyo and Pioneer receivers HDMI problems, u will get tones of pages filled with the same complaint. Hope thats not your problem. Have you tried another AVR on this tv? Or have you tried this AVR on another TV?
As per my understanding ARC means the audio signal is sent back from the TV never knew it can be used like an output as well. In this case my statement is wrong. So how does it work? You said connect the HDMI ARC output to the ARC suppported output of the AVR. What about the source? Very confusing when u say connect output to output. So when the signal is sent from the TV and you connect it to the output of the avr how is that going to work?

Last edited:
As per my understanding ARC means the audio signal is sent back from the TV never knew it can be used like an output as well. In this case my statement is wrong. So how does it work? You said connect the HDMI ARC output to the ARC suppported output of the AVR. What about the source? Very confusing when u say connect output to output. So when the signal is sent from the TV and you connect it to the output of the avr how is that going to work?
Anything which played on TV like Netflix or YouTube in my case. I dont have a cable connection, but I think it works for EVERY sound which comes to TV despite of the source just like optical out.

These links should clear the air...

Thanks for sharing this. Well IMO the simplest way to connect is all the sources to your AVR and the AVR output to the TV. There are Two scenarios i see where ARC is a Must. 1st is for pple who use a 4k Tv paired with an AVR that doesn't support 4k and second for pple who want to use apps in TV for streaming. My case i am least bothered as i connect my bluday and nvidia shield to AVR. In this case i see the OP has a blu ray player and airtel DTH. He can directly connect them to the avr. My Tv has one HDMI port marked as ARC but it is an input port where i have connected my AVR output.

Last edited:
Hi Dinesh,

Can you check with the older HDMI 1.4a cable? While HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible, in general, it has been a cranky method of communication as a standard in general. The VSX-1122K is not HDMI 2.0 compatible.

What happens when you switch to Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)?

Also; there is no specific switch to enable HDMI ARC on the receiver. You enable it once in the Settings Menu and leave it that way. You don't have to switch it on each time.

I used this receiver with a Samsung PS51E550D1R Plasma TV. When I choose USB drive on the TV, the receiver automatically displayed TV on its front panel. No specific button on the remote of the Pioneer had to be pressed in order for ARC to work. It just works.

Can you go to General Settings on your TV and check for any HDMI/HDMI CEC settings in there.

What are the options under Digital Sound Out (Aside from PCM)?

One more thing to try is, before loading up a streaming APP or Selecting USB on your TV, try switching to Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC) and then load your respective APP.

Hi Dinesh,

Can you check with the older HDMI 1.4a cable? While HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible, in general, it has been a cranky method of communication as a standard in general. The VSX-1122K is not HDMI 2.0 compatible.

Also; there is no specific switch to enable HDMI ARC on the receiver. You enable it once in the Settings Menu and leave it that way. You don't have to switch it on each time.

I used this receiver with a Samsung PS51E550D1R Plasma TV. When I choose USB drive on the TV, the receiver automatically displayed TV on its front panel. No specific button on the remote of the Pioneer had to be pressed in order for ARC to work. It just works.

Can you go to General Settings on your TV and check for any HDMI/HDMI CEC settings in there.

One more thing to try is, before loading up a streaming APP or Selecting USB on your TV, try switching to Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC) and then load your respective APP.

Mine is a LG b7oled. But has the same menu. For me I had only sound when I use the Pcm option. Since my receiver was onkyo, it had an option to turn on hdmi cec or something . But for pioneer it may be directly on all the time.

So how does it work? You said connect the HDMI ARC output to the ARC suppported output of the AVR. What about the source? Very confusing when u say connect output to output. So when the signal is sent from the TV and you connect it to the output of the avr how is that going to work?
The Source will be the USb Media or the Wifi app in my Smart TV

I will try and let you know on this
I was able to select the option and can hear the sound from the AVR and few seconds it goes back to the Internal TV speakers
Auto . I was able to get the Sound from the AVR speakers while connecting the Toslink cable and selecting this option
This i tired but the option keeps skipping after few seconds as i said earlier

I will try and let you know on this

I was able to select the option and can hear the sound from the AVR and few seconds it goes back to the Internal TV speakers

Auto . I was able to get the Sound from the AVR speakers while connecting the Toslink cable and selecting this option

This i tired but the option keeps skipping after few seconds as i said earlier
If it worked on auto with toslink it should work with same settings with hdmi. Check with another another hdmi. Also try to check the receiver with another TV. Or device. I am sceptical about onkyo and pioneer from that era as I read through forums about their hdmi failure rates. But hope it's not that. Onkyo and pioneer as sister firms or the same company with 2 brand names. So the hdmi tech must be same .

Mine started with losing sound every now and then before it totally gave up. It works some time and then goes off.

Hi Dinesh,

I just checked the receivers manual, it's possible to turn the arc on and off. And had the same options as my onkyo had. Page no.8 . Fiddling with these options should end up in a solution. I don't know a damn about what each of those options does. But I remember playing g with it on my onkyo before I could get it to work. May be when you got yours it must have set to the right ones from factory.

I see your audio output is set to TV speaker as per the screenshot. Or is it that it is changing automatically once it stops playing from AVR. Check this youtube video for the settings. Might help. I am using a Samsung TV & it works perfectly fine with my Yamaha AVR.
Since he has sound for few seconds I really suspect a problem with device or cables rather than settings .

Since he has sound for few seconds I really suspect a problem with device or cables rather than settings .

The FM has a problem with ARC only. All other HDMI source inputs work. Besides; I sold him this receiver. If it had a defect, I would not have sold it to him.

Aside from an occasional hand shake issue with my TV, ARC worked without a hitch.

The VSX-1122K is a pre Onkyo era phase model.

Toslink will always work. It is not the same as HDMI which is also a communication protocol. Devices essentially talk to each other, than just pass through a audio/ video feed. The implementation isn't exactly as seamless as say a Coaxial or Optical input.

I had picked up a new TV recently and wanted to send an ARC feed to my cheap Samsung plastic home theater system. It took me a good hour and a half to figure out how to get it to work and work the way I wanted it. This Samsung had no specific ARC setting it its Menu aside from some proprietary HDMI setting to work with other Samsung devices. Turns out, I had to turn this ON too though the partner device is a Sony. I now have the ability to switch on the Samung using the TV remote.

On the subject of HDMI board failing, I have heard of this problem extensively with Onkyo only. It is possible that current generation Pioneers suffer from this too. Hopefully; the LX series are isolated as they are truly great receivers.

Last edited:
The FM has a problem with ARC only. All other HDMI source inputs work. Besides; I sold him this receiver. If it had a defect, I would not have sold it to him.

Aside from an occasional hand shake issue with my TV, ARC worked without a hitch.

The VSX-1122K is a pre Onkyo era phase model.

Toslink will always work. It is not the same as HDMI which is also a communication protocol. Devices essentially talk to each other, than just pass through a audio/ video feed. The implementation isn't exactly as seamless as say a Coaxial or Optical input.

I had picked up a new TV recently and wanted to send an ARC feed to my cheap Samsung plastic home theater system. It took me a good hour and a half to figure out how to get it to work and work the way I wanted it. This Samsung had no specific ARC setting it its Menu aside from some proprietary HDMI setting to work with other Samsung devices. Turns out, I had to turn this ON too though the partner device is a Sony. I now have the ability to switch on the Samung using the TV remote.

On the subject of HDMI board failing, I have heard of this problem extensively with Onkyo only. It is possible that current generation Pioneers suffer from this too. Hopefully; the LX series are isolated as they are truly great receivers.
Then op has nothing to worry. Fiddle with those settings and it should be good to go.

I just checked the receivers manual, it's possible to turn the arc on and off. And had the same options as my onkyo had. Page no.8 . Fiddling with these options should end up in a solution. I don't know a damn about what each of those options does. But I remember playing g with it on my onkyo before I could get it to work. May be when you got yours it must have set to the right ones from factory.
Thanks hifitoaster I will check and update you .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back