Life of solid state integrated amplifiers.

partho

Hello friends,
Recently I am thinking of purchasing some used hi-fi amplifiers. These are quite old (5-10 years) and available at very good prices. Can anybody throw some light regarding the life of a solid state integrated amplifier. Is it a wise decision to buy such an old item?
Thanks & regards,
Partho.

I keep on buying and selling the stuff esp amps...

I traded a no of amps 10 years pld and never had any complaint.
I had one vintage Cyrus 1,and Hitachi amp( appx 25+ YEars) which were giving good service.

In case of Indian amps to many peoiple still trading Cosmic ,which was closed 10 years back and amps are still in service,

I have seen real vintage stuff like 30+ Year old Harmon Kardon and Sansui and they were functioning very well.

In fact there is sort of Cult for vintage amps and there is market for premium vintage amps like McIntosh,Quad ,Luxman etc...

It depends on the amps you are considering. Products from the likes of Byrston, McIntosh, Accuphase, Marantz, Denon etc. can survive for a very long time! There are always exceptions but a 20yr warranty like Brystons' itself shows their credibility.

the advice i got from someone, is to check the capacitors and replace if necessary.......otherwise they should be okay......(i have no idea about the technical aspects of these things, this is just something someone told me)

Thanks for your reply. I want to know which component of an amplifier is responsible for limiting the life span. Is it the capacitor bank or the transistors or the transformer.
Regards,
Partho.

It is a great reply. What do you mean by thermal cycle? Does it mean how many times we have started & stopped the amplifier? One listening session can be considered as one thermal cycle?
Regards,
Partho.

Hi Partho,

I have a 21 year old Harman Kardon HK6300 integrated stereo amp and this one is still working flawlessly. Three years ago it developed a problem, namely the left channel stopped producing any output after a period when it was going off intermittently. I got it repaired by a local person here in Kolkata by the name Rajesh Tanna and he basically replaced the caps in the power supply section (exactly as Mr Pass mentioned in audio_engr's post. After the caps were changed, the amp started functioning, but intially the sound was very harsh, but in 20-30 hours of running in, the sound became smooth as before, if any thing, it became more dynamic than just before.

I'd say used amps especially of a good make and from an audiphile (generally maintained well, therefore) is a relatively safe buy and may be a great VFM. But after 15 years of continuous use, some of the caps may need changing.

Regards

PS: However, I should add: buying used sources (CDP, TT, Cassette decks) may not be as safe.

Last edited:
Thanks Asit for your reply. A few months back I purchased a Marantz PM17 SA amplifier from a second hand hifi dealer. I was very much impressed with the sound quality. But after using for some time (one week) the right channel started produceing humming sound. I could not take the risk of correcting the problem. I returned the amplifier. But till date I am missing that sound. And today if anyone wants to sell me a perfectly ok Marantz PM17SA I'll buy it immediately. The problem is that electronic item repair shops take the advantage of the ignorance of it's customer. I feel the age of the amplifier is not the actual problem. The way it has been handeled/used matters most.
Regards,
Partho.

Thanks Asit for your reply. A few months back I purchased a Marantz PM17 SA amplifier from a second hand hifi dealer. I was very much impressed with the sound quality. But after using for some time (one week) the right channel started produceing humming sound. I could not take the risk of correcting the problem. I returned the amplifier. But till date I am missing that sound. And today if anyone wants to sell me a perfectly ok Marantz PM17SA I'll buy it immediately. The problem is that electronic item repair shops take the advantage of the ignorance of it's customer. I feel the age of the amplifier is not the actual problem. The way it has been handeled/used matters most.
Regards,
Partho.

hi partho,

the amp that finds the most use where i stay is a marantz pm17 - and i think that the humming sound that you heard must have had it's cause remote from the amplifier.

there was a marantz pm17 for sale here in kannur a few months back - if you are interested, let me know, i will try and contact the person (not sure about present status)

regds

edit - sorry partho, i called the person as i was typing, and he laughed and said that amp was sold long back!

Hi suri,
Thanks for the post. Really PM17SA was a beautiful amplifier. It may not be a very high precision amplifier but it has a lovely sweet presentation. I really miss the amplifier. How people can sell such a beautiful amplifier. Also I have seen it is an amplifier which is made to serve for a long time. Components used for making the amplifier are to some extent old fashioned but high quality.
Regards,
partho.

I keep on buying and selling the stuff esp amps...

I traded a no of amps 10 years pld and never had any complaint.
I had one vintage Cyrus 1,and Hitachi amp( appx 25+ YEars) which were giving good service.

In case of Indian amps to many peoiple still trading Cosmic ,which was closed 10 years back and amps are still in service,

I have seen real vintage stuff like 30+ Year old Harmon Kardon and Sansui and they were functioning very well.

In fact there is sort of Cult for vintage amps and there is market for premium vintage amps like McIntosh,Quad ,Luxman etc...

Isn't there any degradation in the dielectric properties of the Capacitors due to aging?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back