Line level attenuators

Shivam

In my search for a solution to attenuate the signal reaching my preamp, I came across these -

Amazon.com: Harrison Labs 3 dB RCA Line Level Attenuator Pair: Electronics

They look like a comfortable solution with no soldering required anywhere. However now there is a little doubt. These attenuators have values of 0.5 dB, 1dB, 3dB, 6dB and 12dB. They are used at line level.

My query - I understand dB by the amount of sound that (loudness) comes out of the loudspeaker. How do I interpret the the dB value for these line level attenuators? How much reduction of signal would a 6dB RCA attenuator cause ?

In my search for a solution to attenuate the signal reaching my preamp, I came across these -

Amazon.com: Harrison Labs 3 dB RCA Line Level Attenuator Pair: Electronics

They look like a comfortable solution with no soldering required anywhere. However now there is a little doubt. These attenuators have values of 0.5 dB, 1dB, 3dB, 6dB and 12dB. They are used at line level.

My query - I understand dB by the amount of sound that (loudness) comes out of the loudspeaker. How do I interpret the the dB value for these line level attenuators? How much reduction of signal would a 6dB RCA attenuator cause ?

Go for the highest value. The volume control will be two or three "hours" further round its range than it was before, giving better control at low levels and operating well away from the end stops. Further you will maintain a better S/N ratio by attenuating the pre-amp noise as well as the signal. This pushes the noise floor down enough to create an inky black silent background from which the music can emerge with better resolved fine detail and transparency.

3 dB of attenuation means the power of the signal that comes out of the attenuator will be half of what is given as input. Since there is another 3 dB more of attenuation, you get 1/4 of your original signal power. I believe that's half the perceived loudness.

3 dB of attenuation means the power of the signal that comes out of the attenuator will be half of what is given as input. Since there is another 3 dB more of attenuation, you get 1/4 of your original signal power. I believe that's half the perceived loudness.

I thought too the same but then I read reviews on Amazon and understood that 3dB attenuator does very little change in volume level and sometimes is hardly noticeable and another review said that there was almost half the power loss with 3dB.
I am suspecting some sort of dependance on the components used too.

I am planning to go for a pair of 6dB and another pair of 12 dB.

Now to find a way to buy them. Amazon doesn't ship these to India !

Shiv, Have you considered these in-line attenuators ?

I did. Unfortunately they are available in only 10dB and occasionally 20dB.

Going by online reveiws, some people consider Rothwell inferior to Harrison labs and some others consider things the other way round. I plan to opt for Harrison labs since they cost less and can be bought from US using ishopinternational services.

Do you people think that it would be anything other that 2 resistances inside each making voltage divider network?
I don't think it will have anything like autotransformer to attenuate exact 3,6dB.

Please have look at these too. Tube and Passive Preamps-Auto Transformers for Attenuators/Volume Control - Overview - diyAudio

I know that it will be two resistors inside one on line and other across but in a neat sealed package.

Trying to make my own will require two rca plugs, two female plugs / sockets, a way to connect them (cable or plugs that fit into each other) and obviously good quality resistors and some effort. Considering this the cost of the attenuators on Amazon looks attractive to me.

Why don't you first decide exactly how much attenuation you need by constructing a voltage divider and playing around with the resistor values? Resistors are inexpensive. Then when you are done, you will know exactly what you need to order.

I opted for the attenuator based on a friend's recommendation.
Resistors are inexpensive but I don't know which configuration (L, U, H etc..) to opt for and the exact ratings required.

I just now tried the attenuators. The sound from my CD player suddenly has turned more enjoyable. They are the best value for money tweak available out there in my opinion for systems like mine.

The sound itself sounds exactly as before but I am able to go higher up on my pre-amp's volume control. The soundstage seems better and somehow I am getting the same feeling as with my turntable.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back