• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Linn Studio Masters download for free

Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 Speakers

Staxxx

Thanks. I have bought six or seven albums from their site and the quality is superb. These free downloads are individual tracks from larger works (usually) and will give you a good taster of the music and recording prowess.

jls001

I have only heard Barb Junger's Just Like A Woman album from Linn. It is 24/48. Lilac Wine from this album is stunning! if a bit spooky.

ranjeetrain

So, it's that time of the year again, huh? Thanks for sharing. Cheers for Linn for their awesome gesture. In the process they are also making a loyal fan-base. Good on them.

IndianEars

THANKS ! jls001

I am not a Western Classical music fan, but I did download the file, just to check it out.

WOW ! The Quality is SUPERB.... and I do have a few 24/192 and even DSD files in my collection, so this is hardly the 1st High Res file that i have heard. ( incidentally, I do not think that high Res always wins Hands down with a well ripped file, ripped on yr own m/c.... but I dont want to stir up a hornets nest on this count :eek: )

Interestingly, the Highest res option is : FLAC 24bit 88.2kHz

Clearly, LINN is strictly staying with integral mulitiples of the 44.1 KHz CD freq.

What ever hey are doing, they are doing a Great job..... !! :clapping:

Thanks again jls001.... cant wait for each day in December !

IndianEars

:THANKS ! Guys... this a Serious 'motherload" of Hi Res links, besides the usual HD Tracks & 2L links.

You know what I will be doing this weekend with my 50 MBps Hathway connection ! :)

Only trouble ...... I have practically run out of HDD space.

netant: Any place/way to get HD Tracks Discount coupons, without buying HD Tracks music ?

Thad E Ginathom

How do you buy from HDTracks? They accept only US credit cards.
Paypal.

This thread prompted me to do some tasting, and I bought/downloaded a couple of 24/96 (which is my hardware limit) Mahler symphonies last night. Paid by Paypal with no problems at all.

Haven't done any listening yet.

The High-res-is-it-worth-it debate will very likely go on for ever. Whilst I'm cynical, I'm certainly prepared to try it. Not really regarding this as a test of high-res, though, as I am not going to buy the 16/44 versions for comparison. Bottom line, hopefully: Whatever! It's good music! :eek:hyeah:

IndianEars

Thad,

Download and listen to the HD Tracks free Sampler CDs.

Not only Great recordings, but musically very good too.

...and ofcourse ..... they are Free !

Thad E Ginathom

This thread prompted me to do some tasting, and I bought/downloaded a couple of 24/96 (which is my hardware limit) Mahler symphonies last night. Paid by Paypal with no problems at all.

Haven't done any listening yet.
I listened to two of the pieces last night --- well, one and bit because I gave up.

Mahler 1: there is a lot of noise. It is the same kind of noise that I was listening to on sample files from one of the hi-res-contraversy papers. I believe my software/hardware chain plays a part in this, but it is a pain. I have to do the research. But... should I have to research just to listen to music? :(

Mahler 2: Harsh and fatiguing. Just like listening to low-bit MP3. I turned to my CD version just to soothe my ears --- and could have listened happily to the whole >1-hour contentedly if bed time had not intervened. Not a comparison, they are different recordings of different performances

Mahler 9: not listened yet. Actually, it was an accidental purchase: I clicked on the wrong thing. Wouldn't mind if it was good, though.

Not too worried about the $30+, but I'm glad it didn't cost more than that.

Thad E Ginathom

<The Next Day>

Now, this is very odd, and I have no idea what is going on or has happened. Yesterday, I was getting what is apparently text-book intermodulation errors. Today... I'm not.

Well, at first I was, and I was doing some low-pass testing stuff, and then, somehow, they just stopped happening. Hmmm... Hope it stays that way!

Did I imagine it? It's easy enough for mental/emotional state to totally change one's perception of music, but I was getting noises like the ones in the test files in the above links, and my brain certainly did not invent those.

~

Last edited:

jls001

I downloaded Day 1 freebie:)

Track is "Chorus And the Glory of the Lord" from Messiah, Dublin Version 1742 by George Frederic Handel.

Naturelover

Staff member
Oh that was the appetizer. Its been available since 25th if I am right. Good you downloaded it when you did coz today is the last day it will be available (Available to download until Sunday 1st December 10:00GMT). Day 1 download is still not available at this time.
Thanks for the reminder, anyway!

canchi

The foll tracks are now available for download -
1 - Ghost Narrative (Single Version) from Ghost Narrative EP Studio Master FLAC 24bit 69.7MB
2 - Ladieu des bergers: Il sen va loin de la terre from Berlioz: L'enfance du Christ Studio Master FLAC 24bit 72.2MB
3 - Embraceable You from Too Much In Love To Care Studio Master FLAC 24bit 91.6MB