Linton Crossover Upgrade

AKT

Dear FMs,

I am planning to perform a simple upgrade on my Linton speaker crossovers. I am looking for following exact parts:

1. Caps: Intertechnik Audyn Tri-Reference 6.8uF
2. Shunt: Silver mica 20000 pF, 350 V caps (Russian)
3. Resistor 1: Mundorf MOX Supreme 20W, 2.2 ohm
4. Resistor 2: Audio grade MOX resistor 10W , 5.6 Ohms

Any links to where I could find them (which ships to India) would be very helpful.
If any of you diyers have one or more of these in surplus, it would be even better.
I feel as if I am hopping pharmacies with a doctor's prescription in hand! I hope the effort would be worth it.

Thank you.

Finding parts like these in such limited quantities will be very difficult. Unless someone knows such a source. Why don't you approach someone into high end DIY and commission this as a project ?

upgrade on my Linton speaker crossovers
Interesting. Why you want to upgrade only specific caps and resistors? Why don't you consider upgrading the complete crossovers, wires and the binding post, as it may bring better results.

1. Caps: Intertechnik Audyn Tri-Reference 6.8uF
2. Shunt: Silver mica 20000 pF, 350 V caps (Russian)
3. Resistor 1: Mundorf MOX Supreme 20W, 2.2 ohm
4. Resistor 2: Audio grade MOX resistor 10W , 5.6 Ohms
check Hificollective.co.uk , you can order to get it shipped to your door.

Interesting. Why you want to upgrade only specific caps and resistors? Why don't you consider upgrading the complete crossovers, wires and the binding post, as it may bring better results.

These components are part of tweeter connection in the crossover. Intent is to add some top end air while keeping the original sound signature intact.

Giving credit where it is due. I am merely trying to implement the instructions.

These components are part of tweeter connection in the crossover. Intent is to add some top end air while keeping the original sound signature intact.

Giving credit where it is due. I am merely trying to implement the instructions.
What Amp you are using with Linton?

A high power amp may change the sound output, it can control the bass, in that way you may hear more high frequency.

I do had a feel to improve the hi frequency response on my lintons, I bought pure copper terminals and plugs, but didn’t do the change.

Decided to try better cables, got some improvement post adding a lifatech optics instead of RCA between CDP and AMP. Then changed my regular (parallel run) 10AWG speaker cable to coaxial speaker cable from Mogami, gave me a better control on bass and improved highs.

later, I happen to see this video, but didn’t had a will to try changing the caps and resistors. I think he put one more video on tweeter pullover and soldering it to wire.

good that you posted it in this forum. Let’s here others view too.

@AKT any development on your upgrade?

AKT :

Is the new Audyn 6.8 uF cap to become the main cap to be used for the tweeter??

Is there a 6.8 uF cap in there, stock ??

The Audyn purchase may possibly not be needed !!

Does the 20,000 pF ( 0.02uF ) cap you describe get used alone by itself, or in conjunction ( in parallel - bypassing ) the 6.8 uF main cap?

Does a 0.02uF exist in the stock crossover, as a bypass to the main tweeter cap ??

Does any such small value tweeter film bypass cap exist, stock.?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Note : The 20,000 pF ( 0.02uF ) - if used a high frequency bypass cap, ( because of it's small uF size and construction ), will give you more perceived highs VS : any 6.8 uF cap used all alone.

However, as a warning, a 0.02uF value cap - used as a 6.8 uF bypass, creates " holes" in a speaker's perceived linear high frequency response.

This should be avoided.

A single bypass cap, ie: single 0.02uF value cap, will never be able to play back music linearly, and with full musical expression.

Properly selected multiple bypass caps can easily outperform any 0.02uF single cap. But, you must know the best uF multiple-cap value sequencing - and choose carefully these film caps.

Before we bother to go into details ( of how to get that good top-end you seek ), please first confirm to us here : that the 0.02 is supposed to be a bypass - across the 6.8 uF cap ( be in parallel with it ).

Then, we can proceed. I have suggestions you can implement and you can easily self-evaluate cap changes - totally on your own.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WIRING :

Also, could you please precisely describe the wiring you use, amp-to-crossover ( AWG and wire type, copper, silver, solid, stranded, etc. ) and the wiring from the crossover-to-tweeters' voice coils.

Is this wire length twisted, anywhere along its path - from the amp to the tweeters' voice coils ??

Jeff

Do not use tie wraps anywheres - to secure film caps, or to bundle the wiring, in the crossover. Throw tie wraps away !!!

Secure film caps with GE Silicone 2, allow 24 hours minimum to have this silicone set up. Wire leads do NOT touch each other. Their fields interact, negatively to the music playback.

Last edited:
AKT,

I have looked at the 21 minute video you referenced, and the shorter video on on the tweeter mod.

I have not found written directions where you seemingly have gotten the Parts List. Can you refer us to a URL, as it was not in either video ?

I can not find a schematic of the Linton Crossover on line. It is entirely possible, that the 6.8 uF cap is for the midrange's roll off, and not the tweeter at all.

If the 6.8 uF is for the midrange, it would sound best, NOT with a 0.02uF single bypass/shunt cap, but rather, a minimum of three bypass caps, to play back audio with full music- expression. The video presenter simply is unaware of how to do such modifications. Frankly, many people, likewise, are unaware.

The tweeter's roll-off cap, also would use three or more of the same value and type as the midrange's capacitors for bypass / shunt caps. " Whatever you do to the mids, for multiple bypassing, you do to the tweeter ". I would think the added bypass caps are much-needed on the tweeter, to make up for the too-heavy tweeter lead wire from the crossover, and the metal perforated grill over the high frequency driver.

Your first post describes the 20,000 pF Russian cap as a " shunt " and that could be possibly interpreted as a way of expressing what I call a " bypass",...... a film cap in parallel with the 6.8 uF Cap.

I much-liked his idea of soldering speaker leads to the voice coil terminals directly, but ..... that HAS to be done by someone with the correct tools, skill and knowledge, or you will destroy the drivers !! Yes, it makes a difference. I would suggest using a Weller D-550 Soldering GUN, on 325 Watts, 0.062 inch diameter solder, and a hemostats to sink away the heat from the plastic surrounding. In and out quickly.

All three drivers' lead wiring is very heavy inside the speaker. For no cost, I would separate the two wire polarities from being molded together, pull them apart carefully. Put some distance between the positive and negative polarities.

Notice how the presenter said the distance from the speaker binding posts to the crossover was short, and hard to reach " but he soldered it anyway ". Right ON !! " An inch of bad wire can ruin the musical experience. "

The same driver lead wire used for the woofer is used for the tweeter. Such heavy wire " loses highs " in the wire itself, to the tweeter. But, I would be highly hesitant to change the stock tweeter wire to lighter wire, as the entire speaker was factory voiced with ( too ) heavy wire going to the tweeter. This does make for a better reason to employ multiple bypassing of the crossover cap that is associated with the tweeter, not just the midrange cap........( if that is the 6.8 uF cap ).

Those Mundorf resistors are fine, and the 20 Watt Mundorf MOX " Supreme" sounds delicious. An other very good choice would be Mills MRA-12 wirewounds ( Michael Percy in the USA stocks them, he ships Internationally, and is an excellent parts supplier, truly top notch ). The 2.2R value will need to be two 4.5R values in parallel, if the 20 Watt rating is needed ( it will be 2.25 Ohms at 24 Watts rated ). Another cost-effective alternative for the 2.2R is an ARCOL HS series " pulse resistor " at 50 Watts rated, chassis mount, operating without being heatsinked.

If I were to follow the video presenter, I would do his mods, then after break-in of the caps and resistors, add the same 20,000 pF Russian Silver micas to bypass the tweeters' caps ( which he didn't do ). . You decide, with your own ears, what sounds good to you. Its your show !! Not the video presenter, nor me !!

Jeff

PS,

I just looked at Parts Conne Xion in Canada, and seem to stock the Audyn and Mundorf parts. If they do not ship Internationally, PM me , and I will re-send them to you from the USA. FMs Sadik and Hari Iyer, have done such things, with Indian products, for me in the USA.

Last edited:
Above is a screenshot of the official schematic received from Mofi (the vinyl record people) as they are the distributor for Wharfedale in US.

Note, there may be differences between the schematic and the values on your actual crossover. The drawing I received was version 14 and I do not have any info about earlier or later versions or why any particular changes were made...WYSIWYG.

My actual crossover in shown above and my C11 is 80uf vs 68uf on schematic. There could be other differences but I would need to desolder the crossover and measure all components...I'm not ready to do that yet.

For the sake of being able to directly compare the schematic with the actual parts, I put labels that show the schematic values. I did my best to ensure nothing is mislabeled but I can't guarantee it without performing full surgery.

What am I waiting for? I'm trying to first educate myself on how a crossover works and determine why Wharfedale designed the Linton crossover in the way they did...only then will I move forward.

For example, this crossover seems more complicated than it needs to be and I wonder if Wharfy is spoiling the circuit to prevent the Linton (usd$1500) from directly competing with the Elysian 2 (usd$7000), or does the crossover really need to be designed this way to produce the desired sound, or both???

DK

DK (@DaKine),
You actually created an account here just to share your thoughts and the schematic! That’s awesome and thank you.

Jeff (@drlowmu),
I am speaking with Mike at HEAudio and will soon share a list of replacement parts. However, if you wish to discuss the merits, I would suggest you reach out to him or better still discuss on YouTube comments section so all of us could benefit.

Jeff and DK, Thank you for your participation. Lintons are great speakers and if we can make them sound any better, that would be icing on cake.

Bala,
So far, I have only ordered the Russian micas (off eBay) and the expected delivery date is end Sep! Remaining parts are due to be ordered from HiFiCollective, UK.
I am also treading carefully and asking Mike a whole lot of questions (he is answering all of them!) to ensure neither the original sound signature gets lost, nor do they sound bright.

Last edited:
Thanks DaKine !!! Now that I see the schematic, and the quality ( or lack thereof ) of the stock parts, I think you are pretty much foolishly wasting your time and money, modding the speaker and buying those specific parts from that fellow's video.

My feeling / complaint : I think the fellow in the video only partially addresses what needs to be done, to get the speaker to play optimally. He is honest, but simply doesn't know any better.

It's a complex crossover, and now that I see the crossover schematic, ( and based on my experiences with caps and resistors ), I see much lacking in his mod. The parts cost VS performance gains you " hope" to achieve, while they will partially real, seems unworthy to me.

He does not " hit the nail on the head ". I like balavignesh002's initial comment - a lot !!

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/linton-crossover-upgrade.85749/post-959468.

The mods needing to be done to that crossover, as " I " see it, demand to be much more sophisticated in nature.

Wharfdale themselves does not IMHO know what to do !! This is often the case.

Also, you certainly can not ask the video-person if the mods will " retain the sound" and " not be too bright ". That is wishful folly. Only you should be the determining person, since it is your speaker, your ears, and your mind and soul that must be satisfied. .

To say it another way, I believe you are on the wrong course. I sincerely recommend you cease, desist, and abandon this specific approach.

Realize please, I am not trying to offend you, or the nice video-poster, or Wharfdale, in any way !! Thanks.

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff,
Hi, thanks for your feedback, you seem to know a lot about crossovers. Would you be willing to post a sketch of what you think would be a better way to design the Linton crossover? I'm not trolling you, I'm really interested to know exactly what you would do if owned Linton's?

Or maybe this...have you every made a YouTube video? Perhaps you could do a video where you discuss crossover basics, the function of the various components on an XO board, what you like and don't like about the Linton crossover, and what your take on an improved design might look like?

There are a lot of videos on YT but they're pretty rough or have significant gaps in there ability to explain things in terms that a junior DIY guy can grasp.

The problem for many of us is we don't have someone to learn from...like myself, I have zero-access to someone that even remotely understands crossovers or drivers or cabinets or acoustic etc, and if they do have the experience, can they explain any of it.

As it is, I've spent an embarrassing amount of time on the internet during 1-1/2 years of COVID lockdowns and gotten nowhere.

BTW do you have any speaker projects documented anywhere? I'd be interested to look at how you worked through a crossover upgrade.

Thanks for whatever you can do, or not,
DK

@AKT looking at the schematic, good to change all resistors R1 to R8. try Mills or Jantzen MOX or Superes. All are small in size and should be easy to change. Good to change L2 and L3 inductors both are for mids.

I prefer to change the complete Xover for my Lintons.

Jeff,
Hi, thanks for your feedback, you seem to know a lot about crossovers. Would you be willing to post a sketch of what you think would be a better way to design the Linton crossover? I'm not trolling you, I'm really interested to know exactly what you would do if owned Linton's?

Or maybe this...have you every made a YouTube video? Perhaps you could do a video where you discuss crossover basics, the function of the various components on an XO board, what you like and don't like about the Linton crossover, and what your take on an improved design might look like?

There are a lot of videos on YT but they're pretty rough or have significant gaps in there ability to explain things in terms that a junior DIY guy can grasp.

The problem for many of us is we don't have someone to learn from...like myself, I have zero-access to someone that even remotely understands crossovers or drivers or cabinets or acoustic etc, and if they do have the experience, can they explain any of it.

As it is, I've spent an embarrassing amount of time on the internet during 1-1/2 years of COVID lockdowns and gotten nowhere.

BTW do you have any speaker projects documented anywhere? I'd be interested to look at how you worked through a crossover upgrade.

DK

Hello DK,

OK, I just came across your post. No, I am not a speaker designer, nor am I any crossover expert. I have been building tube amps, and have had two fabulous audio mentors over the decades, to learn from. What I have learned about amps, and tube amp design and modding, in regards to capacitors and resistors, similarly applies to crossovers IMHO.

After a lifetime of audio chasing, I now have a very simple system, a two way speaker, both drivers horn loaded, having over 101 dB efficiency. So I would never own Wharfdale Lintons and such, even though they may sound nice.

Why ?? I want to own and use a system that will play well, on 2 Watt or less tube amps I can design and build. These are the best sounding audio amps to my ears, and it is my preferred way to achieve a high performance. Start with a good 101 dB or higher speaker, preferably a two way with a 15 inch woofer. Preferably, ......both drivers horn loaded.

Crossovers for my two-way speaker have been 12 dB octave Butterworth, at about 800 Hz.

As I learn things, I make changes. Here is what my crossovers looked like in 2018, three years ago :

First of all NO PC boards, all Military Spec wiring ( m22759/11 ) is installed, Pictured next, below, is low loss WIRING MAINLY, before the caps are added :

P1010030 edited.jpg

Now, where I differ from almost all other people in audio is in my understanding and use of multiple film caps, ( where almost everyone else employs a single cap ). In your schematic to the Linton tweeter, we see use of 6.8 uF and an a 15 uF cap, in series with the audio signal. While those Wharfdale values may be necessary, to get a certain frequency of crossover-driver filtering, there is no way, in a million years, that such size caps are capable of playing High Frequency MUSIC information in an acceptable manner.

Cap basics: The smaller the uF value of a cap, generally speaking, the higher in frequency it responds and plays back music to us. Conversely, the larger the cap, the less it will play back to us the midrange to the highest frequencies, in any ALL-OUT manner.

It takes multiple film caps, each of a successively smaller uF size, to obtain the FULLEST of fidelity, from any single cap position !! Only about 1-to-5% of the people in this world know this, and only about 1% of that small group, KNOW what values to use, to multiple film bypass caps properly . ( It is all done by ear , listening to music. )

So, where " everyone " has ONE capacitor in a crossover, I might have EIGHT high quality film caps, of successively smaller uF values. Each uF size plays a different part of the spectrum, and ALL are needed, and determined by ear, so as not to have any non linear playback ( holes ) in one's by-ear-perceived frequency response.

No friends, I am not pulling your legs. Here is what " ONE capacitor spot" looks like, close up, on what I prototype . Look :

8 CAPS listed, Value and Types.jpg

Now, it gets better !! What you do for bypassing a single cap position for the tweeter, you MUST use the same cap arrangement for the midrange driver section - below the tweeter !! That way, they blend perfectly, harmonically, and at the highest play-back level for each driver's range of play back.

This shot below will show TWO " SINGLE CAP POSITIONS" ( with equal multiple caps in each position ) for my tweeter and for my woofer, an early 800Hz crossover, later improved upon.. Again, I am not joking around here , SEE :

crossover wiring . 6.jpg " What you do with multiple film cap bypassing to one section ( the tweeter ) , you also precisely do to the other section ( woofer ) " It is costly !!

In about early 2020, I did the ultimate crossover mod, to the woofer in my two way ALTEC speaker system. What is that ?? I eliminated the crossover to the woofer completely, and allowed the lovely-sounding 515B fifteen inch woofer to play full range !! KISS rules in ultra high end audio. No crossover on the woofer, to degrade it's inherent performance. It is superior, no comparison. Half the crossover parts on the above photos are GONE !! :)

In 2021, I installed a better L-Pad to reduce the signal level to my tweeter. In mid 2021, I totally eliminated the entire L-Pad, and replaced it, not with a single-value high-sound-quality resistor, but with special resistance wire, 4 and 3/8 ths inches long did it . ( Constantan and Manganin wire ).

What to do with your Linton Wharfdales?? Well, it's a totally huge project !!!! The crossover has to be made four times larger, come out of the box, and you need a year of so of futzing, assuming you KNEW what uF values play in what music range, .........which you don't. And you can't use a 1.5 Watt SE tube amp on it when you are done. :-(

No, I will not do a video. People won't get it. Audio people have not " gotten it " in audio amps, after 30+ years of me trying, and I am not too confident when it comes to speakers !!

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff,

DK
Why don't you redesign the cross over from scratch after taking raw driver measurements? It's simply easier to do that way rather than trial and error with components imo.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back