Listen to Free Radio on the internet

ash147

Some of the free radio services which I found while browsing the internet and would like to share with all my fellow hifi-visioners.

StumbleAudio

You can randomly listen to music and rate them thumbs up or thumbs down. You can browse music by channels and save favorites when you sign up.

SHOUTcast

Shoutcast is one of the oldest and most popular radio services on the internet. Browse by artist or genre and make advanced searches. Thousands of radio channels add to its glory.

Musicovery

Musicovery is an interactive and intuitive radio service which adjusts itself according to your mood. You can also choose music from genre, timeframe and browse their hit songs.

Deezer

With Deezer, you can listen to all kinds of music from rock to hip-hop, jazz, electro and world music. You can browse their top charts and listen to the radios.

iLike

iLike integrates a sidebar to your iTunes from where it can track your listening habits and then provide music suggestions. You can play their radio by genre or artist. They also have added features like concert listings and free mp3 downloads for some songs. When you play music there, you can also see the youtube video for that song alongside.

Tunerec

Tunerec is a web based service, that records songs off internet radio streams and then tags them all for your convenience. You can search songs by artist, album or song name. It has got a very sleek interface, though it takes some time to record songs for you.

Live365

With Live365, you can search for more than 6000 online radio stations. You can browse as per genre or you can see which radio station is playing a particular song you want to hear. In all, a great package.

RadioBeta

RadioBeta lets you search for radio stations by geography or genres. You can play radio stations from RadioBeta itself and also queue them for playing. With the geo search feature, you can listen online radio in your regional language. Works quite well!

Aol Radio is another good radio channel wherein you can skip the songs just like a personal music player. Its also avaliable for the users of Iphone and Ipod touch and that too for free.

I started tuning to Live365, almost 5 years back, and it's still one of my favorite Net Radio stations...

will try the other ones also...

Let's say you choose 128kb stream from a streaming source like Radio Paradise. This would mean you're downloading 128000 bits per second. Listening to the stream for an hour would need a download of 128000X60X60 bits, which is roughly about 440MB...

Let's say you choose 128kb stream from a streaming source like Radio Paradise. This would mean you're downloading 128000 bits per second. Listening to the stream for an hour would need a download of 128000X60X60 bits, which is roughly about 440MB...

Never thought of it this way :)

Buttt .. 128000 * 60 * 60 = 460800000 bits / hr
= 460800000/8 = 57600000 bytes/hr = 57600 KB/hr
= 57600/1024 = 56.25 MB / hr

Is this calculation correct?

toilet_claw.gif
Might just be, seeing I forgot the bit to byte conversion...
1.gif
Oh well, math was never my forte...
fryingpan.gif

Listening to radio paradise through windows media player on my office laptop - wireless connection to internet, and wireless keyboard, and screen on my projector.
I am playing via analog out of my laptop. This relatively new hp laptop (2yrs old) analog out is quite quiet - compared to my 2003 hp laptop (which was really a desktop with an lcd attached)

Absolutely right on the calculation. One thing to remember is that many radio stations broadcast at different bit rates even as low as 32. Also, usually ISPs have no way to track streaming data and thats why they usually cap the total usage to certain MB. If you are using cable, then since its bandwidth shared, I dont think you shoudl be too worried about data usage. Its not like a cell phone where they can track by a particular device.

Could anybody tell me how to use these Radio Stations on my Nr905 except Shoutcast as I am using the links from there for all the radio stations setup, wherein when we try to tune up a particular station in the winamp then the a direct link to that station is highlighted on a separate box which is the address which I have to enter onto the Nr905 internet radio configuration page. Whereas all the other radio station open up on a separate page running Java Scripts so the actual direct address which would work directly on the 905 is not revealed.
So guys could anybody in this forum know a workaround for this specially AOL radio and Accuradio.

The morning of December 31 was a sad day as Worldspace fell silent. The music just stopped.

That forced me to explore Internet Radio. And joy of joys, I got united with my favourite station of past 16 years almost immediately.

WFMT radio, Chicago
WFMT - Live Streaming Classical and Folk Music

The station has been broadcasting free over the internet all these years. A few selections on the monitor, and music was streaming in crystal clear. One of the rare stations that streams also in AAC+ through winamp.

If anyone wants some of the best programming in Western Classical music, tune in. The quality of sound in AAC+ is fabulous.

Viren

If someone can point me to some station that plays music of the type played in Worldspace's Radio Farishtha, I would be obliged. The few that I tired including RadioNRI are useless. I am looking for Hindi film music of the 50s to the 80s segregated properly for listening.

Cheers

Not a radio but you can go in.com >music.They stream very
well have a large collection and there are classic playlists u can try as well as make your own.

the site is from network18.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back