Live music concerts you have attended

sachin_k5

All audiophiles,

List out the live music concerts you have attended or any other way you listen to actual instruments

What are you going to do with the Answers? Again ask the artist to come and perform? just kidding.......

I have never attended any live Concerts , but have heard people say that its a good experience if you listen to a live concert in a good auditorium with good system

In Mumbai
1) Roger waters ( awsome!!!!!!) The man,the music ,the visuals and the pig!!
2) Bryan Adams - around 8-9 Years back -Simple ,Downplaying and MIIINDBOGGLIKG!!
3) Ghulam Ali - Cool - he is too modest and funny ( really!)
4) Pankaj Udhas - again silky voice and good presentation
5) Daler Mehdi ( Free passes and sponsored booze!!!)

In Dubai
1) Junoon ,Sukhbir and Some paki artists - Very Good
2) Ghulam Ali
3) Twice attended some British Indo new age remix music stuff - again free passes and sponsored booze :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:( I think one of them was rishi rich project)

Badly missed foll acts in my college days ( Money!)
1) Bon Jovi
2) Deep Purple

Oh Boy, I have a huge list here...

Jethro Tull
Roger Waters - twice
Megadeth - 4 times
Metallica
Aerosmith
Motley Crue
Ozzy ozbourne
Motorhead
Jimmy Page and robert plant
Santana (absolutely the worst concert of my life)
L Subramaniam (absolutely the second worst concert of my life:))
Jean Luc Ponty
Zero
AC/DC
Iron Maiden
Alan Parsons Project
Alice Cooper
Deep Purple
KISS
Queensryche
The Rolling Stones
Shakti - 3 times
U Srinivas, in planet M, got his autograph also, played with a tiny mandolin.
Manna Dey - once (short concert in planet M, got his autographed CD too).
Jagjit Singh

Missed These, some intentionally, and the rest I still regret.

The Other Ones
Phil Lesh and friends
BB King
The Who
Chuck Berry
Buddy Guy
Bob Dylan
Dave Matthews Band
Phish
Scorpions
Bon Jovi

I am sure there are more concerts that I have attended, just cant remember the names. Will update later.

Last edited:
only one - and i hated it - i was at the back - at an outdoor venue in bangalore organised by DNA networks - deep purple? - i forget. - the people were potted, the music was bad!

but, i have been an attendee with local musicians and their instruments (without electronic aids) and have enjoyed that experience tremendously - even the local temple festival!:)

All audiophiles,

List out the live music concerts you have attended or any other way you listen to actual instruments

Its a very broad question. What are you specifically looking for? Music genres, artists, reviews? For instance I attended a live concert of LL Cool J and it was horrible but I rather like his studio albums. Same with Eric Clapton. On the other hand I prefered to listen to Kunnakudi live but his albums pretty much suck wrt quality recordings.

Long long list!

The Big Foreign Bands
---------------------
Mr. Big
Iron Maiden (twice)
Megadeth
Machinehead
Deep Purple (twice)
Scorpions (twice)
Roger Waters
Rolling Stones
Mark Knopfler
Joe Satriani
Opeth

The smaller foreign bands
------------------------
Metro
Carlos Bica and Azul
The Saskia Laroo quartet
Shawn Lane, Jonas Hellborg and Andreas Marchesini
Prasanna, David Gilmore, Rodney Holmes and Mike Pope

Gotta run now, will update

Motherjane (many many many times.....still my favourite band of all time)

Judas Priest
Anthrax
Washington Blues Festival
Queensryche
Stabbing Westward
Uriah Heep
Iron Maiden
Jethro Tull

Euphoria @IITG
Live concerts @ bangalore
Iron maiden
Megadeath ,Motherjane+ prestorika etc (rock in india)
boneyM

of course October fest 3 times

Its a very broad question. What are you specifically looking for? Music genres, artists, reviews? For instance I attended a live concert of LL Cool J and it was horrible but I rather like his studio albums. Same with Eric Clapton. On the other hand I prefered to listen to Kunnakudi live but his albums pretty much suck wrt quality recordings.

I always hear people talking about their equipments but never about live music

Roger Waters in Mumbai Dark Side of the Moon 2007 tour
Iron Maiden in Bangalore - Somewhere back in Time tour 2009

Iron Maiden - Some where Back in Time World Tour 2008, Bandra Kurla Complex.
Independence Rock - Rang Bhavan, Chitrakoot Grounds Andheri.
Vayu - Live @ The Hard Rock Cafe, Mumbai.

Have attended at least a dozen large scale ROCK concerts. Almost all of them had bad sound gear except for the Roger waters one. These are the worst places to study sound.

Learning about natural sound was mostly in studios and small scale Jazz and rock concerts with mostly un-amplified instruments. Have couple of friends who play the piano too. Used to play the guitar a bit in the past.

yeah, many large rock concerts have poor sound, and there's always the paradox. You get the best sound near the console.....but the best view of the band right up front.....where the sound is not too great.....you hear stuff straight from the amps as well....so the guitars, bass and keys are loudest.....and the vocals are always a bit suppressed right up front, plus you have no line-of-sight with the PAs so you only get a very diffuse hearing of what the PAs are putting out.

The Roger Waters concert I was in the cheapest section at the back and the sound was awful, perhaps the sound in front was good. Roger Drego usually does good sound. Reynolds again does good sound, but their best sound is delivered in smaller venues, as is the case with Acoustic Control. The best sound for a large rock concert I've heard is probably the Rolling Stones, where all the sound equipment was flown in as well. The next best sound for a big concert i remember is from Deep Purple in 2001 (Reynolds).

But the finest sound is easily in small, good venues. Thermal and a Quarter used to do shows at this eco-village called Trans-Indus (off Kanakpura road, in Bangalore), and the sound they got together with Acoustic Control was fabulous.

There was also the 'Metro' concert that i attended at Good Shepherd Auditorium. The sound and the band (Chuck Loeb, Mitch Foreman, Dave Weckl, Eric Marienthal, Melvin Davis) was absolutely first rate.

This is an interesting thread. Just like the ones where people talk about the equipment they have owned, it's interesting to see what concerts people have been to, to know the kind of music they enjoy and the kind of artistes for whom they'd spend money to see live.

By the way, for all the people in Chennai, the next week has a superb line-up of performances including Abida Parveen (which is sold out, thankfully I booked early) and a jazz quartet from Australia....a nice lead-in to the official 'music season.'

college fests in mumbai including mood-i at (iit powai), horizon at rait (nerul), oasis at bits (pilani).

independence rock in rang bhavan days

couple of jazz yatra's at rang bhavan

samantha fox a longgggg time back in andheri sports complex

bryan adams at cci, churchgate.

rolling stones, palace grounds, banglore

live performances in pune at abc farms, not just jazz by the bay, and jazz by the bay in bombay (older names of both joint and city!).

hmm, what else!

I always hear people talking about their equipments but never about live music

Live music does not have the same fidelity as studio albums. When someone speaks to fidelity, its the clear distinction of each instrument when played in unison. So that may be the reason.

To me the biggest advantages of live music is that some bands innovate and some get into long solos/duets on the stage and do not necessarily stick to the strict timelines/schedule as when they record on a CD.

But the finest sound is easily in small, good venues. Thermal and a Quarter used to do shows at this eco-village called Trans-Indus (off Kanakpura road, in Bangalore), and the sound they got together with Acoustic Control was fabulous.

@ Psycho
Yup. The Acoustic control guys are pretty good when it comes to small venues. :)

@Marsilians
Live music is much better than studio albums. The trick is to get the sound system right. Which sadly in India we do not have.
For western classical there is always the NCPA in Mumbai.
Auditoriums | NCPA Mumbai

Ooh yes how could I forget. One of my life changing experiences was to watch the West Kazakhstan Philharmonic Orchestra play at the Jamshed Bhabha Auditorium at the NCPA. It was spellbinding.

Another such brilliant concert was the jazz concert by Carlos Bica and Azul at the Tata Theatre.

I do miss the days of working in Nariman Point, when I could sneak down for a show, and come back and finish my work.

For western classical there is always the NCPA in Mumbai.
Auditoriums | NCPA Mumbai

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back