Live music concerts you have attended

It is a pleasure to be in a concert ( of any genre.), because you are Live ! (without music you are dead ! )

But if it is a Jazz cocert,it gives immense pleasure espesially during jamming sessions.

A concert I would like to keep it to my heart is that rendered by Jean Luc Ponty in St.Andrews Auditorium, Bandra. A real violin fusion magic !

Jazz Utzav Concerts too provide variety of Jazz.

Thanks

vjc

square_wave;88603@Marsilians Live music is much better than studio albums. The trick is to get the sound system right. Which sadly in India we do not have. For western classical there is always the NCPA in Mumbai. [url=http://www.ncpamumbai.com/facilities/auditoriums said:
Auditoriums | NCPA Mumbai[/url]

Live music is hard to get at for quality. Its usually the experience and the thrill of seeing the fav artists in person that drives people to attend concerts. I hav experienced this in India as well as abroad. Even some top shows like Sting is not as good as his albums

hey marsilians, i think that's what square wave was saying....when it is big artistes and big venues, it's very challenging to get good sound to all parts of the venue. Usually there are some small sweet spots, and most of the venue gets sub-standard sound, but the 'experience' makes up for it.

But take the example of watching a jazz band (or even a rock band like a thermal and a quarter or motherjane) at an intimate venue, or a philharmonic/symphony orchestra at a superb auditorium like jamshed bhabha.....no recording can match that.....not a chance in hell.

Motherjane used to play on this floating restaurant called 'the ancient mariner' in Kochi (till the harbour guys had it shut down). Just amps, un-mic-ed drums, and a mic for the vocals....open air, out on the water....magical stuff....their albums, while superlative, cannot capture the magic of those live performances, and the sound was flawless, because there was no mixing or processing done to it.

At the end of the day what the recording is trying to do is recreate the live performance. Which is the problem with many modern recordings. Everything is computer corrected and over-produced....so it's all very precise, but it sounds like many machines making the music. The more the mistakes that get wiped out, the more the spark goes out of the music. Actually now I think I am getting to understand what a lot of people were saying when they objected to Rahman's music on the grounds of it being 'digital'.

in school(ooty)-was lucky to have experienced every artiste who was part of the SPIC-MACAY foundation as we used to have concerts,albeit small,time to time in our school auditorium.the list is endless..lalgudi jayaraman,zakir hussain,bhimsen joshi,bismillah khan,mandolin srinivas,hariprasad chaurasia,shiv kumar sharma,ravi shankar,etc etc.small,closed venue but loved them all as i still remember the sound reverberating in the burmese teak floored,approx 200 seat hall.amazing.also as a boarder,the fact that most kids hate this kind of stuff at the age was difficult for me,peer pressure and all.the training in indian classical helped i suppose.really never understood hw i could enjoy it then,now i do :p.was very lucky,yes.

at college(manipal)-again,being one of the preferred college destinations for bands in india,was fortunate to see quite a few..agni,parikrama,euphoria,etc etc.unfortunately,the later few years werent as atmosphere 'incredible' due to limitations of curfews on gatherings past 12pm and such.lotsa fun but sucked.at these occasions it was never the sound,more the event per se!!used to be so envious of my friends frm the us who used to go to every damn concert out there(u2/rush/metallica/green day/coldplay/tupac/snoop/police/tull/the list just goes on..),and collect the venue tickets for posterity.not to mention to infuriate me :mad:

post college-dire straits,iron maiden(blore).with work,these things tend to take a back seat:rolleyes:

cheers

Actually now I think I am getting to understand what a lot of people were saying when they objected to Rahman's music on the grounds of it being 'digital'.

Over producing a live performance is still acceptable if it is not over done.

Manufacturing music compositions on a computer which cannot be reproduced by a band takes it to next level. It is called electronica. This kind of music causes an automatic disconnect due to a lack of natural flow of music as opposed to being created live by natural instruments or birds or people. This is what essentially separates live from artificial

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back