Living Room Accoustics

rejeeb

Hi All,

Last weekend I audioned a 5.1 sysyem from a leading speaker company. Most of the dealers in bangalore have a "treated" demo room. But here, for the first time I listend in a real life environment. There was hardly any accoustic treatment, it was a "L" shaped hall/dining room. One side there was a glass french window, and it was covered with a very thin plastic panel curtain. Right side was open to the dining area. The distance between sofa and TV/speakers was nearly 8 feet.

Unfortuantely the entire experience was not pleasent, there was hardly any bass, instead it was booming like anything. (I listend from FS/BS individually and then in 5.1) I know it is nothing do with the speakers rather to do with teh accoustics of the room. In such scenario what are the best ways to get good results?

Hi All,

Last weekend I audioned a 5.1 sysyem from a leading speaker company. Most of the dealers in bangalore have a "treated" demo room. But here, for the first time I listend in a real life environment. There was hardly any accoustic treatment, it was a "L" shaped hall/dining room. One side there was a glass french window, and it was covered with a very thin plastic panel curtain. Right side was open to the dining area. The distance between sofa and TV/speakers was nearly 8 feet.

Are these dimensions are for the room where you auditioned or its your living room... :D

Most cases for such small rooms it is better go with bookshelves/standmounted or a sat/sub combo.. FS sure will be an overkill...or may be you will need to use them @ low volumes .. What is the point having good FS and not being able to enjoy them . So go for sub+sat or bookshelf speakers.

:) Kittu

It is not my living room :) Even I've similar shaped hall/dinning room, but the size is different.

My main doubt is what are the simple methods to improve Living Room Accoustics?
That is elegant and aesthetic solutions.

I've a 2 layer curtain (thick/thin) against my glass french window. There is a small sized floor matt at the center.

Last edited:
It is not my living room :) Even I've similar shaped hall/dinning room, but the size is different.

My main doubt is what are the simple methods to improve Living Room Accoustics?
That is elegant and aesthetic solutions.

I've a 2 layer curtain (thick/thin) against my glass french window. There is a small sized floor matt at the center.

Put a 2 inch carpet in place of floormat.

Hi All,

Unfortuantely the entire experience was not pleasent, there was hardly any bass, instead it was booming like anything. (I listend from FS/BS individually and then in 5.1) I know it is nothing do with the speakers rather to do with teh accoustics of the room. In such scenario what are the best ways to get good results?

DEAR RAJEEB

Try covering the Glass windows with thick curtians and put a centre carpet also try placing the sub next to your sitting place.I think it will solve your problem

Homiyar

I am yet to buy any system, still in 'audition' mode only:) Targetting to setup by mid of Dec. I will definitely try all these tips, thank u!!!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back