• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Loading USB CD drives in Volumio

rsponline

I bought Transcend drive as i got it for very less price in amazon deal. I can use it for multiple purpose as I any of my laptop does not have DVD drive.

Not yet tested with RPI though. Will update here my opinions accordingly.

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

jls001

Hi @Kannan (and others):
This is a bit OT from the thread's topic, but since you have experience using Volumio, I wanted to ask if you have tried playing songs in Volumio from a shared folder on a Windows PC?

I have been so far quite unsuccessful.

I created a folder called "Music" on the E drive of my Win10 PC and enabled sharing of the folder.

In Volumio configuration, within My Music > Network Drives, I enter the following:

Alias: Music
NAS IP Address: I give the IP address of the Win10 PC
Path: Music
File Share Type: CIFS
Username: <name of the PC>
Password: <password>
Options: I have tried "vers=1.0" as well as 2.0 & 3.0.

When I save it, I see a red cross below Mounted. It shows up the size also incorrectly (much lesser than actual content within Music shared folder). Under Network Drives:

Music <IP address>\Music Mounted <red cross> Size <displays incorrect size>

In Win10 Explorer window, under Network I can see the PC itself and VOLUMIO.

In Volumio Music Library screen, I can see USB and on clicking it I can see a 64 GB USB pen drive and a 1 TB HDD which are connected to the USB ports of Sparky. NAS doesn't show up at all. I can play music normally from both the pen drive and HDD.

Any idea what I had done wrong?

Kannan

I don't use Win-10 but am on 64bit Windows 7 and the SMB share is straight forward.

In your Windows Machine
Like you have done create a shared folder and under sharing give read/write access to 'Everyone' for that folder.

In Volumio
Do the following configurations
Give any suitable Alias Name
Udner NAS IP Adress - Keyin your "Computer Name" (which is permanent) instead of IP address as it is dynamically assigned by your router unless you have a fixed one.
Under Path just type the name of your "Shared Folder"
Click save and enter your PC "Username" and login "Password" in the pop-up window.
Next the Volumio will automatically mount your windows shared folder and update the library.
Here is the Screen Shot below

You can view your "Alias Name" now under the "NAS" in the Volumio "Music Library".
The music files in your shared folder will be now under the 'Alias Name".

jls001

Thanks Kannan for the guidance.

My mistake was in not giving sharing permission to the folder I wanted to share. I thought making a folder shared was enough, but clearly it wasn't. Within the Sharing screen it is also critical to enable inheritance. This allows all sub folders within the shared folder to inherit the property of the main folder.

I have successfully mounted two music folders from two 2TB internal HDDs. It's been 13+ hours and Volumio is still building up the library from these two folders.

jmascreen

I don't use Win-10 but am on 64bit Windows 7 and the SMB share is straight forward.

In your Windows Machine
Like you have done create a shared folder and under sharing give read/write access to 'Everyone' for that folder.

In Volumio
Do the following configurations
Give any suitable Alias Name
Udner NAS IP Adress - Keyin your "Computer Name" (which is permanent) instead of IP address as it is dynamically assigned by your router unless you have a fixed one.
Under Path just type the name of your "Shared Folder"
Click save and enter your PC "Username" and login "Password" in the pop-up window.
Next the Volumio will automatically mount your windows shared folder and update the library.
Here is the Screen Shot below

View attachment 37473

You can view your "Alias Name" now under the "NAS" in the Volumio "Music Library".
The music files in your shared folder will be now under the 'Alias Name".
When you put in hostname instead of IP, dns resolution happen at router or local host file based?

jls001

I have successfully mounted two music folders from two 2TB internal HDDs. It's been 13+ hours and Volumio is still building up the library from these two folders.
It's been more than 48 hours and the Volumio hasn't completed building the library:D

Kannan

It's been more than 48 hours and the Volumio hasn't completed building the library:D
Yes...it is a big pain. This was discussed in an other thread to bypass the mpd and just load it as a shared folder. After that you just pick and choose the song to play on the network

Kannan

Sometimes duplicate files, unrecignised files can cause unprecedented delays, with often Volumio crashing

SPONSORED ADS