Logitech Squeezebox

jai1611

Folks,

I currently have a lot of music on my pc and am looking for a solution that allows me to access it remotely. Using it as an HTPC doesnt work as I have systems set up in two rooms and would need to be able to access it from both places when needed. Looking for wireless options as I live in a rented house and dont want to go through the trouble of setting up an ethernet network. Please note that I need the solution for music only.

Looking around, I came across the Logitech Squeezebox. It supports all the major audio formats, can give bit perfect digital output and has a decent-ish dac built in. I plan to use it largely with an external dac. I had some queries:
- Anyone here have first hand experience with the device?
- Are there any other options to explore?
- What is the pricing in India and where can I buy it in Mumbai?

Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jaibir

Folks,

I currently have a lot of music on my pc and am looking for a solution that allows me to access it remotely. Using it as an HTPC doesnt work as I have systems set up in two rooms and would need to be able to access it from both places when needed. Looking for wireless options as I live in a rented house and dont want to go through the trouble of setting up an ethernet network. Please note that I need the solution for music only.

Looking around, I came across the Logitech Squeezebox. It supports all the major audio formats, can give bit perfect digital output and has a decent-ish dac built in. I plan to use it largely with an external dac. I had some queries:

Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jaibir

iam using a logitech squeezebox3 from last 5 months and have found it to be very good lot of internet radio channels & terrific streaming of music from my pc and very easy to configure on wifi too, you will be able to buy it at chroma/reliance or any good electronics showroom

you may also try apple airport express. Though not too many features as compared to squeezebox, it is bit perfect and uses itunes. You can control it via you iphone/ ipod touch as well. It would cost about 5k.

regards

No I actually meant airport express. Read more here - http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB321LL...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253181341&sr=8-1

If you use a comp to control music, and have a comp, and want to use an external DAC, this is cheap and best solution.

Just add this to your home wireless network, or (I am not very sure though) create an adhoc network between your PC and this, or use this as the wireless router. And it would show up in your itunes player. You can direct the music output to airport express. Then, from the airport express, take the optical out, and feed to your DAC.
Now that I have a DAC, I think I should buy one airport express now.

But I think a better solution is squeezebox touch - as it does not require any computer to be on. It would just play music from an external drive. I am waiting for someone to get this for me from the US. This is better if you are like me and do not have/ do not want to have a comp always on (or switch on everytime you want to listen to music).

regards

Well airport express is just a wireless router. I guess you mean to say apple tv.

Yeah it is somewhere in between the wireless router and network media player.I guess the price difference of almost 12 k between squeezebox and airport express is the no dac and no direct interface.One need a ipod touch or some other apple product to work along with it.

I think the squeezebox receiver also has similar feature list. There is no interface, and you need a server on all the time, and then you need a separate controller, either the logitech duet controller, or more preferred one these days, ipod touch/ iphone. But it does have a DAC and not just an optical out.

Well squeezebox has its own interface where you can select songs manage play lists and select internet radio stations as well. It comes with its own remote control. I have used apple tv and netgear eva 8000 and it terms of audio reproduction quality it beats them hands down.

Folks,

[/I]

Thanks
Jaibir

I have used squeezebox for a few years now... without a problem.
Its the best bang for buck solution out there.
It changes the way you listen to music.
Go for it!

Jai1611

Ive been a satisfied SB 3 user for the past 2 years-it's a great product. I dont keep my computer switched on all of the time, instead I use a ReadyNas Duo server as my source.In addition you can access internet radio stations as Mahi said.All in all a great gizmo, and strongly recommended by all who have it!

George

I got it free from my big bro here in the US-big bros duties are normally to bully their younger bros, but hey, we can reap the rewards as well!

The ReadyNas Duo goes normally for around $400 with a single 500GB HDD, though it can accomodate a second hard disk that will mirror all the data. It used to be called "Infrant" before Netgear bought them out, and are currently among the better NAS units on the market-it's built like a tank and very sophisticated, and has a custom SB application. I have programmed my unit to fire up at 630AM and shut down at 11PM each day. It can also store vidoe, photos etc, apart from backing up cricitial data.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back