Looking for 4K Projector

Hi Sid,
I have Sony 270 es, I am using it in a partially light controlled room. I have a 150 inch elite screen with a gain of 1.3. In my room of 32 by 18 feet. It's brightness is more than adequate. Don't go by the numbers .
It's like comparing apple phone -12 mega pixels to android 42 megapixels.

In a 100 percent light controlled room you will love this projector. It's very vibrant.

There is no comparison between a native 4 k (Sony)and a non native pixelating 2 k projector( Epson).
I hope you would have read it - Epson only superimpose twice and not 4 times like the Benq ht5700- hence it has only half pixels

I have seen it Epson -it has only half pixels and if you watch it close - you will see a lot of pixels in screen

If you want I can send you some video clippings - you will be able to assess it.
I auditioned the 270es today. Simply blown away. Absolutely no issue with brightness. IMO native 4k is definitely superior to pixel shifting. More sharpness, detail, depth etc. however the main stand out feature - at-least to my eyes - that stole the show was the black level. Dark scenes simply popped out (screen was a grey screen so that must have helped a lot). I checked out a 4k disc and also streaming. Even 1080p up-sampling looked excellent. My mind is made up now, will pick this up. Thank you all FM's for your feedback. Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Sid

+1. I'll say this: Without an external VP, the JVC NX5 is quite possibly the best value for money 4K projector that properly supports HDR. And IME, HDR trumps 4K in terms of viewing impact. I'd strongly encourage comparing the Sony with the NX5 before you make your decision, @sidvee.

If you need contacts of dealers with better pricing for the NX5, I'm happy to help. Good luck with whatever you end up choosing!
Thanks Liverpool - along with the projector I have to upgrade my receiver which is a lowly marantz 6009, which won't do HDCP HDMI. Plus new HDMI cables etc. etc. I just picked up a Nvidia shield pro 2020. So my HT upgrade budget is crossing the 5 lac mark significantly, for something that I will use maybe 3-4 hours a week tops. So for now I will stick with the sony, really liked it in my audition. Maybe in 2-3 years will look out for JVC level of PQ.
Cheers,
Sid

I auditioned the 270es today. Simply blown away. Absolutely no issue with brightness. IMO native 4k is definitely superior to pixel shifting. More sharpness, detail, depth etc. however the main stand out feature - at-least to my eyes - that stole the show was the black level. Dark scenes simply popped out (screen was a grey screen so that must have helped a lot). I checked out a 4k disc and also streaming. Even 1080p up-sampling looked excellent. My mind is made up now, will pick this up. Thank you all FM's for your feedback. Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Sid
Hi Sid
Your welcome, Congrats on your selection,What's the price you are quoted ?

Cheers,
Sid
Check out German Gamma Curves for the 270ES. Very helpful for HDR viewing on that Projector.

So my HT upgrade budget is crossing the 5 lac mark significantly, for something that I will use maybe 3-4 hours a week tops.

Fair enough. I didn't realize that your usage was going to be so limited. FWIW, I have ~4000 hours across 2 different PJs in roughly 4 years.

So for now I will stick with the sony, really liked it in my audition.

Cool. The 270 ES is no slouch. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I am using Sony 270ES since past 6 months.
I have no issues with brightness or detail
you can go ahead with your choice, I paid 3.6 - I think its a good buy

Hi Sid,
I have Sony 270 es, I am using it in a partially light controlled room. I have a 150 inch elite screen with a gain of 1.3. In my room of 32 by 18 feet. It's brightness is more than adequate. Don't go by the numbers .
It's like comparing apple phone -12 mega pixels to android 42 megapixels.

In a 100 percent light controlled room you will love this projector. It's very vibrant.

There is no comparison between a native 4 k (Sony)and a non native pixelating 2 k projector( Epson).
I hope you would have read it - Epson only superimpose twice and not 4 times like the Benq ht5700- hence it has only half pixels

I have seen it Epson -it has only half pixels and if you watch it close - you will see a lot of pixels in screen

If you want I can send you some video clippings - you will be able to assess it.
Hello Sivasathya,
I have been playing with my 270 past few days. For settings I used these values (in reference preset):
It looks very good. Only changes I made was pumped up the brightness to 75 because I have a grey screen nd I feel this level is required for my subjective requirement.
Can you let me know what settings you are using? And I request other users of sony 270es to also share their settings.
@Moderators, if this is too OT from the OP's thread kindly move it to a new one. I didn't want to create a new thread just for this since this projector is being discussed here.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Hello Sivasathya,
I have been playing with my 270 past few days. For settings I used these values (in reference preset):
It looks very good. Only changes I made was pumped up the brightness to 75 because I have a grey screen nd I feel this level is required for my subjective requirement.
Can you let me know what settings you are using? And I request other users of sony 270es to also share their settings.
@Moderators, if this is too OT from the OP's thread kindly move it to a new one. I didn't want to create a new thread just for this since this projector is being discussed here.
Cheers,
Sid

Here are some screen shots using the above calibration settings - used Cinema Film 2 for 4k hdr10 and reference for 1080p . I hope some other users of this projector share their settings and hopefully screen shots as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Since 270ES has been discontinued and replaced with 295ES, has anyone experienced the latter model? Any idea about the price?

Also, is it possible to carry a projector from USA? Just came to know that 295ES-W is 4000$ there, couldn't resist asking!!

u can try epson eh-ls500.ultra short throw laser projector 4000 lumens . i got it for 2.31L last year and it rocks
Hey got this comment over Google randomly. I was looking for reviews for this .
1. How are the black levels?
2. Are you using this in a dedicated room or living room.
3. What fixed screen are you using and what was the cost ?
u can try epson eh-ls500.ultra short throw laser projector 4000 lumens . i got it for 2.31L last year and it rocks

Since 270ES has been discontinued and replaced with 295ES, has anyone experienced the latter model? Any idea about the price?

Also, is it possible to carry a projector from USA? Just came to know that 295ES-W is 4000$ there, couldn't resist asking!!
I was confused, but I think the 270es and 295es are the same projector with different nomenclature for different regions. You can carry the projector from US, no issues, but this is a big unit.
Cheers,
Sid

Hey got this comment over Google randomly. I was looking for reviews for this .
1. How are the black levels?
2. Are you using this in a dedicated room or living room.
3. What fixed screen are you using and what was the cost ?
black levels are good
i am using this in a dedicated home theatre only
i am usiog a elite screen aeon 120 inch fixed screen it costed me around 40k

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back