Looking for a BDP with MKV support off discs plus youtube

ruenigma

Looking for a BD player around the 10k mark with two must have requirements and a nice to have one :)

1. I have a ton of BDRips on DVDs in mostly MKV and some DivX. I already have a PS3 for playback and will continue to use it for myself. However it gets troublesome for my 4 year old and my parents to use the PS3. So the player must be able to play MKVs burnt to a DVD/BD.

2. It must do youtube reasonably well. Again I use the PC/Laptop but both the parents and the kiddo have grown wary of the iPad's small screen and having seen youtube on some other TVs elsewhere they are demanding the same. :p which my ~5 year old Panny can't do.

3. It'll be nice if it could play FLAC. Not a must, both parents and I have separate music setups apart from this HT so its very very rare that it'll be used for FLACs, however while there are kids around and/or guests in the living room it helps to let some FLACs in the background. I really don't want to put my precious CDs into an el-cheapo player.

4. PQ/SQ is not really a concern as the audience is not discerning enough. The first two features are mandatory though.

5. Only HDMI out is alright. Don't need a myriad outputs.

6. Lack of 3d is perfectly alright.

7. Lack of WiFi is alright. The place is fully wired

So far auditioned the following
1. Samsung BD-E5500
2. Samsung BD-E5300
3. Sony BDP-S190

The E5300 (7.5K) suits most of my requirements, except the FLAC bit. The 5500 (10.9K) is an overkill, has same specs as E5300 with the addition of 3d and some samsung app for android to control it.

The sony could not play any of the MKVs off the DVDs and played some from USB so its a no-go.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Consider a media player instead of bdp. You can play almost all types of media files including FLAC off a usb drive.

Whatever player you buy, make sure its not ridden with cinavia. Else mkv playback will stop after 10-15mins on some movies.

The sony could not play any of the MKVs off the DVDs and played some from USB so its a no-go.
Weird..played all mkvs from usb(support external hdd with power supply upto 2 TB) and DVDs with loss-less audio dts hd ma and dolby true hd.

@baijuxavior MKVs off DVDs is a must have. Otherwise I already have a Asus O!Play mini and PS3 as well. This is specifically for "ease of use"

@chaos: Thanks for the heads-up sire. I thought the cinevia crap is only with the 2012 and later players. And last year models are exempt. I could be wrong though.

@lake1988: Yeah weird for sure!

Looking for a BD player around the 10k mark with two must have requirements and a nice to have one :)

1. I have a ton of BDRips on DVDs in mostly MKV and some DivX. I already have a PS3 for playback and will continue to use it for myself. However it gets troublesome for my 4 year old and my parents to use the PS3. So the player must be able to play MKVs burnt to a DVD/BD.

2. It must do youtube reasonably well. Again I use the PC/Laptop but both the parents and the kiddo have grown wary of the iPad's small screen and having seen youtube on some other TVs elsewhere they are demanding the same. :p which my ~5 year old Panny can't do.

3. It'll be nice if it could play FLAC. Not a must, both parents and I have separate music setups apart from this HT so its very very rare that it'll be used for FLACs, however while there are kids around and/or guests in the living room it helps to let some FLACs in the background. I really don't want to put my precious CDs into an el-cheapo player.

4. PQ/SQ is not really a concern as the audience is not discerning enough. The first two features are mandatory though.

5. Only HDMI out is alright. Don't need a myriad outputs.

6. Lack of 3d is perfectly alright.

7. Lack of WiFi is alright. The place is fully wired

So far auditioned the following
1. Samsung BD-E5500
2. Samsung BD-E5300
3. Sony BDP-S190

The E5300 (7.5K) suits most of my requirements, except the FLAC bit. The 5500 (10.9K) is an overkill, has same specs as E5300 with the addition of 3d and some samsung app for android to control it.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Hi Friends,

I also in need for a BDP with similar needs such as FM ruenigma.

Whether the Samsung BD-E5300 is good?
There is also Philips Model 2600/24 is available for some Rs. 4800/-. Can I go for it? will it play the MKV off the discs?

Please give me suggestions... :)

Finally got the Philips BDP5000 series. Philips - 5000 series Blu-ray Disc player 3D playback DivX Plus HD Net TV - BDP5200/51 - Blu-ray players - Home video - Sound and vision

Initially was disappointed as it did not play a lot of MPEG2 vids in MKV (mostly older HDTV Rips), but then realized the firmware was too old. A flash to the recent 1.61 restored everything and since then it hasn't failed me on any rip. Youtube capabilities are decent, some other useful apps like TED are nice to have.
It has wifi onboard and setup was a breeze. Even the over the internet f/w upgrade went fast n smooth. No cinavia crap here even after the upgrade :) so i believe it wont haunt later as well.

Rants:
The disk tray sucks, its too deceptive and the disk slot is not deep enough. Does not play flac :(

PS: Got it for 10k

My player is a certified cinavia device..never got any problem while playback of mkv..also it supports ntfs and 2 TB hdd where philips one supports only fat-formatted drive, sony can play lossless audio dts hd ma/dolby true hd full internal decoding via hdmi, philips won't..philips one costs almost double than that of sony one.

Finally got the Philips BDP5000 series. Philips - 5000 series Blu-ray Disc player 3D playback DivX Plus HD Net TV - BDP5200/51 - Blu-ray players - Home video - Sound and vision

Initially was disappointed as it did not play a lot of MPEG2 vids in MKV (mostly older HDTV Rips), but then realized the firmware was too old. A flash to the recent 1.61 restored everything and since then it hasn't failed me on any rip. Youtube capabilities are decent, some other useful apps like TED are nice to have.
It has wifi onboard and setup was a breeze. Even the over the internet f/w upgrade went fast n smooth. No cinavia crap here even after the upgrade :) so i believe it wont haunt later as well.

Rants:
The disk tray sucks, its too deceptive and the disk slot is not deep enough. Does not play flac :(

PS: Got it for 10k

there's a deal on indiatimes for Philips 5200 for 9200 - with coupon code (given on the site itself) - Good deal though i a still leaning towards BDT220 - as I need to get the BLU-RAY side unlocked

My player is a certified cinavia device..never got any problem while playback of mkv..also it supports ntfs and 2 TB hdd where philips one supports only fat-formatted drive, sony can play lossless audio dts hd ma/dolby true hd full internal decoding via hdmi, philips won't..philips one costs almost double than that of sony one.

I am buying the BDT220 (from infi beam) - and keeping the fingers crossed - majority of the people havent reported issues in playing mkv files

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back