Looking for a Budget Turntable.

soundofmusic

Hi all

I would like to add a Turntable to my system , my budget is around 15k including the catridge , tonearm and all accesories which is needed to run the turntable . Kindly suggest me the best model . Also where can i get the Vinlys ?

regards

Look for the Project Debut III turntable. Do you have phono support on your amp? Else look for the Debut III model which has built-in phono stage. Or, you can buy a preamp with phono stage.

If you are in Bangalore, you can check out the Project Debut III turntable at ARN systems. I got a call from Ali that they finally have one for audition.
I have been waiting for this since a long time.
Some reviewers feel that Project RPM 1 - Genie would perform better with a separate phone amp than Project Debut III at a similar price. I need to check out for myself. The Genie looks much cooler :)

Thanks,
Sharad

Thanks Particle man and Smedevi

Whats the price of Debut III and whos the distributor, i will also call the bangalore guy and check out the stuff he is having.

regards

Hi all,
I'm from ARN systems and we have the project turntables available with us,
DEBUT 3 is on demo, however the Genie has been ordered for this time and will be out shortly,
The setup being used is Debut 3+Advance acoustics MAP 305..:)

Hi all,
I'm from ARN systems and we have the project turntables available with us,
DEBUT 3 is on demo, however the Genie has been ordered for this time and will be out shortly,
The setup being used is Debut 3+Advance acoustics MAP 305..:)

Thanks, please could you share some details on pricing?

hi,
the prices will be out shortly,:)
any particular one?? pl mention the model,
Rgds,
Ali

Hello Mr.Soundofmusic

I am using Turntables for the last 20 years , i have got Dual , Sansui and Technics all in working conditions , lately i came across the new brands which i dont want to mention the names . All the new players are not quite good in build quality and even the sound from these turntable is not that fantastic when i compared them with my old players. having said that i would recommend you to look at various turntable before making a decision , i would recommend you to look in to old player too . ( the catridge and the tonearm condition should be noted here) . But an audiophile should have a Turntable , only then the true music is revelead. i think most of the people will agree to this.

David.

Hi David,

I have been curious to know if it makes sense for someone like myself who does not own any LPs to get a turntable. In your experience, is it easy to get them (the LPs) locally? Is Western music (Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock) available in sizable numbers and are they fairly priced? What do you think of the Rega turntables and the budget Project Debut series?

Thanks.

>>>Is Western music (Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock) available in sizable numbers and are they fairly priced?

You can buy only used ones locally.
I buy new Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock LPs from SACD, DVD Audio, Vinyl Record, Audiophile equipment - Acoustic Sounds. The service is good. The duty is just 12%, which is payed by FedEx/USPS and collected at the door step. The courier charges are about 30 to 40% of the LP value.

>>>someone like myself who does not own any LPs to get a turntable.

Not really. It takes years/decades to get to a decent collection. Then you need to spend more time and effort during your listening sessions too. So I feel that you should stick to CDs; but if you have the passion, take the plunge. The extra effort makes you enjoy the music even more.

Thanks,
Sharad

Sharad, thanks for your reply -- it was rather enlightening. Yes, that makes perfect sense. LPs are a scarce resource and no doubt a lot goes into acquiring and maintaining a collection.

I am surprised you have to pay a duty for LPs! I have so far been fortunate to not have to pay duty for any CDs I have ordered. It is good to know you have received your LPs safely from abroad as I thought it might be a risk given their fragile nature.

Hello Particleman ,

You should have a turntable if you love music, the quality in turntable is very good when you compare it with the CD player.
I am not against the new players .But the pricing of these products and the cost value ratio is not that attractive. I have heard Project debut , it is good ....but i get the same quality in my old sansui. Then whats the point buying a new one?

I started collecting LPs when i was in college. now i have around 300 to 350 titles ( very good ones ) and a lot more which has got scratches and minor problems .

First you audition an Turntable and then decide.

thanks

David.

You should be able to get a good TT for 4 -7k. I sold my Technics SLD20 for 7k last year but i also have Sonodyne Uranus belt driven TT with Audio technica diamond stylus, sounds very good.

For better sound your amp should have a good phono stage. Most of the modren amps do not support this, in some cases there is no phono input at all. Vintage amps like NAD 3020, Rotel RA-1412, Pioneer SA 9100, Sansui AU-9900,AU-11000, AU717, AU919,Yamaha CA-2010, Harman Kardon HK-730 & Marantz PM94 had excellent phono stage & input for 2 TT's. I always liked the Pioneer SA-9100's phono stage, sweet sound, lots of flexability, MM & MC plus it sound damn good!. t's well worth hunting down a good vintage amp if you really want to enjoy the sound from vinyl records.

One big problem with vinyl is STATIC, inspite of cleaning with shampoo static noice cannot be avoided. Most of the old Indian pressings were bad, so i had to switch to cd's.

Well said Anil ,

The quality of the Phono Stage is also important while listening to Turntables. The older amplifiers had a better phonostage then the latest ones available in the market. reg the Sansui 919 , its one of my fav and having them for more then 15 years. Sounds like a Power and pre amp combo. very detailed and clean sound.

David.

We can get a separate phone stage. ARN systems can provide Project as well as NAD phono preamps. CA phono preamps are available with Palani at BDA complex Koramangala, Bangalore.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi Sharad

hows the quality of NAD Phono , i have heard the Cambridge audio and was not quite amazed , the project seems to a better one , never heard the NAD , just to how it sounds.

david

Hi David,

I have not heard the NAD PP2. It is not easy to get these things for auditioning. I was about to buy the PP2 (Rs5K) a few months back, but the web reviews tilted towards the CA640P (Rs7K). I am planning to buy the latter. Did you hear the 640P or 540P? They seem to be quite different in terms of design.

I think the phono preamps just follow the sound we associate with the respective company. NAD is warm, while CA is detailed. I have a NAD C372 amp, so I thought CA 640P would complement it, while NAD PP2 might go overboard with the warm sound when coupled with a NAD amp.

By the way, the TT model with ARN has an onboard phono preamp.

Thanks,
Sharad

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back