Looking for a Power Conditoner

My speaker manufacturer recommended the Furman line with series mode protection, so I ended up with one of the 16A and a pair of the 10 A classic series.

I wish I had done this sooner, but better late than never. I was not expecting any differences in SQ, but I did get a significant uptick in clarity and a noticeable improvement in imaging (most audible across my front stage).

It does look like advertised prices from the Indian distributor for Furman (https://www.reynoldonline.com/) are up more than 20% from when I purchased last October. I was told prices were going up for their next batch of stock when I bought, so I got somewhat fortuitous with my timing. HST, I did feel that pricing was high then and I dithered for a while before I ponied up. Any remorse I might have had vanished within a few days of having them installed.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
So what type of connectors go in these furman conditioners? Do you have to put an adaptor for all your power cables?

@indusinkc
Here is my take on the power supply side of the game.

1. A suitable UPS (online of offline usually for single phase circuit)
- power supply from electricity board can cut off at any time; hard fact
- even if you are in an society where there is DG backup, this takes anywhere between 10-60 secs to come on
- a sine wave UPS is desired
- online UPS do AC --> DC --> charge battery --> DC --> AC cycle (generally noisy; host them away from TV/audio gear)
- offline UPS do AC --> charge battery + passthru on mains and battery out --> AC on standby (less noisy)
- if the UPS output can provide some voltage stabilization it is a bonus

2. A voltage stabilizer (for single phase circuit or specifically for AV gear if hosted, say only living room)
- choose something that would correct voltage over a fairly large swing, say 180-270V
- if output is programmable, set it to 230V/50Hz
- servo stabilizers do make some noise when correcting voltage; if you can live with this temporary inconvenience place it near AV gear

3. Surge protectors + multi socket outlets
- this has nothing to do with voltage fluctuations
- if there is a surge then electronics will fry; could happen when mains supply comes on after an outage
- surge protector fuse will cut out protecting your electronics
- multiple outlets are convenient to connect devices in play

4. Power conditioner
- these suppress RF and other line noise, supposedly
- our homes are not industrial style where you have stray loads and definitely not RF soup
- IMO this is not required, but some folks swear by it; so that's your call

5. Shielded power cords (after market or DIY)
- this is to mitigate any stray EMI emanating from the mains cord of the equipment
- theory is this EMI may affect small signal cables like digital ICs and/analog ICs
- IMO these are not required, but some folks have had positive and pleasant surprises by using them

6. Dedicated circuit for AV
- if possible, have a separate circuit/s for AV gear with its own MCB at LDB
- this may be possible in new homes, but in older homes may not be practical

In my home, this is what I've done.
Mains --> 1.1KVA offline UPS + Battery (Exide) --> 2KVA Servo Stabilizer (Vertex) --> Surge protectors --> AV gear

The UPS is spec'd to power on a few lights, fans, TV and an amp when power cuts out. It is placed away from AV gear.
It does make some noise while charging the battery.
The servo is co-hosted along the AV gear for lack of space. It is a bit noisy when correcting, but we have grown to ignore it.
We use TV on UPS power very often. Usually, I switch off audio gear when power goes out.
Why do I have servo after UPS? Because with the old UPS I has seeing higher than 250V when on DC/battery :)
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Raghu
Very nice detail information sir

@Yelamanchili manohar I actually went with Kala Power Servo for a few reasons. K-Power came highly recommended from @Nikhili & @drkrack …..I wasn’t even remotely convinced on Vertex dealer’s reasoning why Vertex “audio” models cost exactly twice as much!!…..K-Power is Hyderabad based. Also, K-Power owner turned out to be friendly and transparent.

K-Power is also an OEM for Amararaja (a very good company). The servo I got was “Hima Power” branded, which is a division of Amararaja.

As far as the changes to the SQ…I’m noticing a smoother and more natural tone. Also, overall consistency has improved a bit. And my power amps run a tad bit cooler. Pretty satisfied with the spend.

I think Invention Audio is coming up with a V3 conditioner. But its sales might be limited to their HT installations considering the controversy some folks here have created around it :D
Thanks a lot for sharing the above :)

I might be running out of capacity on the regenerator soon, and will have to get something for the power amps I think. Will sync up about the Hima power once iam back :)

@indusinkc
Here is my take on the power supply side of the game.

1. A suitable UPS (online of offline usually for single phase circuit)
- power supply from electricity board can cut off at any time; hard fact
- even if you are in an society where there is DG backup, this takes anywhere between 10-60 secs to come on
- a sine wave UPS is desired
- online UPS do AC --> DC --> charge battery --> DC --> AC cycle (generally noisy; host them away from TV/audio gear)
- offline UPS do AC --> charge battery + passthru on mains and battery out --> AC on standby (less noisy)
- if the UPS output can provide some voltage stabilization it is a bonus

2. A voltage stabilizer (for single phase circuit or specifically for AV gear if hosted, say only living room)
- choose something that would correct voltage over a fairly large swing, say 180-270V
- if output is programmable, set it to 230V/50Hz
- servo stabilizers do make some noise when correcting voltage; if you can live with this temporary inconvenience place it near AV gear

3. Surge protectors + multi socket outlets
- this has nothing to do with voltage fluctuations
- if there is a surge then electronics will fry; could happen when mains supply comes on after an outage
- surge protector fuse will cut out protecting your electronics
- multiple outlets are convenient to connect devices in play

4. Power conditioner
- these suppress RF and other line noise, supposedly
- our homes are not industrial style where you have stray loads and definitely not RF soup
- IMO this is not required, but some folks swear by it; so that's your call

5. Shielded power cords (after market or DIY)
- this is to mitigate any stray EMI emanating from the mains cord of the equipment
- theory is this EMI may affect small signal cables like digital ICs and/analog ICs
- IMO these are not required, but some folks have had positive and pleasant surprises by using them

6. Dedicated circuit for AV
- if possible, have a separate circuit/s for AV gear with its own MCB at LDB
- this may be possible in new homes, but in older homes may not be practical

Mains --> 1.1KVA offline UPS + Battery (Exide) --> 2KVA Servo Stabilizer (Vertex) --> Surge protectors --> AV gear

The UPS is spec'd to power on a few lights, fans, TV and an amp when power cuts out. It is placed away from AV gear.
It does make some noise while charging the battery.
The servo is co-hosted along the AV gear for lack of space. It is a bit noisy when correcting, but we have grown to ignore it.
We use TV on UPS power very often. Usually, I switch off audio gear when power goes out.
Why do I have servo after UPS? Because with the old UPS I has seeing higher than 250V when on DC/battery :)
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Raghu
Excellent info as always raghu :)

Rontek is the only INDIAN made soulution for power conditioners. Check out some good products from sound foundations too.

Mains --> 1.1KVA offline UPS + Battery (Exide + Exide) --> 2KVA Servo Stabilizer (Vertex) --> Surge protectors (Belkin, MX/MDR) --> AV gear
I think you would gain a lot by simplifying the chain by replacing the offline UPS and servo stab and surge protectors with a good pure sine wave UPS from APC or Emerson. The reason being too many circuits do hamper performance, secondly, the offline UPS in most cases give a Square or a simulated sine wave which is not getting corrected in the chain (unless you want to add a power conditioner :))

My use cases are rather simple. Two 2.1 stereo rigs and a 3.1 HT
Anyways, in my home/rig, each power component serves its purpose.
UPS - backup for single phase circuit/s
Servo - voltage stabilization for expensive AV gear
Extension boards - surge protection and multiple outlets

I believe most UPS units these days do a fairly good job of recreating the sine wave.
I don't find it hampering performance, so it's OK for me.
Maybe more complicated HT setups would benefit from a bigger or integrated UPS/stabilizer.

Cheers,
Raghu

I actually didn't want to say anything on this thread, but then I remembered my initial stage into hi-fidelity audio. And so here it is :

1. Why do OP feels there is a need of power conditioner? Are mains fluctuations common in his part of region?

(If voltage fluctuations are there then a UPS with regulated supply will be fine)

2. Do OP feels the sonic quality of his system will improve by the power conditioner?

(Modern DACS/audio devices have inbuilt noise filtering .....so cleaning up a mains noise has no role in audio reproduction)

3. Does OP have very expensive system? And hence feels a need of protection?

(A properly wired house will have circuit breakers and surge protectors. MCBs and RCCBs can be used for more protection.....and if used is enough to protect PCs)

SImilar to @raghupb , my system is connected to a belkin surge protector (8 sockets).

I actually didn't want to say anything on this thread, but then I remembered my initial stage into hi-fidelity audio. And so here it is :

1. Why do OP feels there is a need of power conditioner? Are mains fluctuations common in his part of region?

(If voltage fluctuations are there then a UPS with regulated supply will be fine)

2. Do OP feels the sonic quality of his system will improve by the power conditioner?

(Modern DACS/audio devices have inbuilt noise filtering .....so cleaning up a mains noise has no role in audio reproduction)

(A properly wired house will have circuit breakers and surge protectors. MCBs and RCCBs can be used for more protection.....and if used is enough to protect PCs)

SImilar to @raghupb , my system is connected to a belkin surge protector (8 sockets).
I use power treatment for 2 reasons :)

1. Protection : I once blew a amp in a surge. And it was not pretty :D. So considering that these are a one time investment. I'd rather have one, than not.
2. Sound quality : Iam aware of the negative feedback these things get. But everyone I know in hyderabad, with a serious interest in music, has power treatment in one form or the other. And none of us are willing to go back to plugging our kit into the wall again. So that's enough proof that these things work :)

P.S : I didn't believe these things worked for a very long time after I got them. Only recently I plugged in my gear direct to wall after almost 4 years, and I now definitely am a convert .

Thank you Enkay78 for your valuable feedback and analysis.

I have been under the impression that a Power Conditioner such as Furrman Elite, besides providing safe power also cleans up the noise to improve the sonic quality.

I use a pretty decent American made heavy duty step down transformer to 110V, and I use Belkin Surge Protectors for all the HTheater electronics at home.
At my work studio, primarily for 2Channel music listening, I use the same setup on a APC Smart-UPS 5KVA, again via step down transformer and Belkin Surge Protectors in 110V.

House is messed up wiring as it was remodeled, but my office I spent considerable amount of effort in making sure the wiring is all proper.

So what type of connectors go in these furman conditioners?

Apologies insane79, missed this. IEC.

Do you have to put an adaptor for all your power cables?

Yes. I had the original outlet plugs replaced with the IEC connectors, but using adaptors would've allowed for an easy A/B with and without the Furman.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back