Looking for budget/mid range 5.1 AVR

neogen

Hi,

I am looking for a budget / mid range 5.1 AVR that is HDCP 2.2 compliant.

What should I consider and shortlist?

Cheers!

I'm sure you would have given these a thought, just helping to revisit incase uv skipped

Start with what you're looking for in terms of product.. A few pts to consider

1. Power output req. - will depend on what, and how many speakers you plan to pair with these, what's the wire runs going to be like. Less sensitive speakers and fronts in HT req major chunk and it will depend on what efficiency speakers ur connecting..

2. Use case - only movies or music too? Even avr have sound signatures, so will depend on how much more of one use over other matters to you

3. Features and connections - how many devices will you connect to it, how many through what ports (HDMI, optical, coax, analog, etc.) do you want streaming built in? Will use the internal dac or external for music playback, which services are important to you (tidal, Spotify, gaana). Which HT formats are important to you (Atmos or no atmos)

4. Integration vs Seperates - do you plan to upgrade in future to separate comp one or will to be OK with one box for longterm.

5. Brand value/affinity - does any particular brand products appeal to you more than others from look feel ecosystem perspective. Do you want a system with Dirac, Audessey, YPAO, etc. room correction built in? Do you value resale, reliability more than functionality/options?

The easy way to do it is the hard long way - because it's an investment in the future and your peace of mind/contentment with purchase. If I could do it again, I'd prolly start with used gear (plenty available on HFV from certified users), connect with a few owners to get their perspectives on why they purchased their specific gears, and then compare with my priorities/wishlist to make a decision. Alternately, if you have a shortlist, you may seek out inputs (pros n cons) from owners in the forum to decide.

Good luck hunting

I'm sure you would have given these a thought, just helping to revisit incase uv skipped

Start with what you're looking for in terms of product.. A few pts to consider

1. Power output req. - will depend on what, and how many speakers you plan to pair with these, what's the wire runs going to be like. Less sensitive speakers and fronts in HT req major chunk and it will depend on what efficiency speakers ur connecting..

2. Use case - only movies or music too? Even avr have sound signatures, so will depend on how much more of one use over other matters to you

3. Features and connections - how many devices will you connect to it, how many through what ports (HDMI, optical, coax, analog, etc.) do you want streaming built in? Will use the internal dac or external for music playback, which services are important to you (tidal, Spotify, gaana). Which HT formats are important to you (Atmos or no atmos)

4. Integration vs Seperates - do you plan to upgrade in future to separate comp one or will to be OK with one box for longterm.

5. Brand value/affinity - does any particular brand products appeal to you more than others from look feel ecosystem perspective. Do you want a system with Dirac, Audessey, YPAO, etc. room correction built in? Do you value resale, reliability more than functionality/options?

The easy way to do it is the hard long way - because it's an investment in the future and your peace of mind/contentment with purchase. If I could do it again, I'd prolly start with used gear (plenty available on HFV from certified users), connect with a few owners to get their perspectives on why they purchased their specific gears, and then compare with my priorities/wishlist to make a decision. Alternately, if you have a shortlist, you may seek out inputs (pros n cons) from owners in the forum to decide.

Good luck hunting

Thanks, very useful.

Power requirement: I already have Taga 606 V3 5.0 ( and a Yamaha subwoofer (I do plan to change that to better subwoofer. That would be another topic/hunt but that may be straight forward I feel)

Use case: 50% TV-OTT(40%), Movies (40%), Music (20%). Important services: Prime, Netflix, Spotify and Kodi (for local content). Current room size is 18 x 15. Display is a 75" QLED.

Features & connections: Firestick 4k, Cannon Connect Station, Local NAS. AVR has to be HDMI 2.1 & HDCP 2.2 compliant. (No need for wifi on AVR)

Future upgrades: Would upgrade the subwoofer and that happen in parallel.

Brand Value: Nothing specific. Reliability is the top most priority. I have been a Yamaha user for past 15 years, and currently have 3067 that I plan to upgrade.

Yes, I am open to a used gear.

Anywhere between 25K to 75k
75K is a very low budget for a decent AVR setup.

This setup itself will cost around 90K.
30K for a low end AVR.
30K for a midrange speaker package 5.0
30K for a decent subwoofer.

If you want a better AVR, you would need to spend more than 45K an the total will be more than a lakh for a decent/midrange 5.1 setup.

This can be reduced if you get lucky with second hand products for AVR and subs. This way you can save some money.

I'm also recently planning to build a decent 5.1 setup.

My config would be
Taga 607 5.0
Taga 212 SE/ Yamaha Sw300.
Yamaha RX V585.(already have this)

Thanks, very useful.

Power requirement: I already have Taga 606 V3 5.0 ( and a Yamaha subwoofer (I do plan to change that to better subwoofer. That would be another topic/hunt but that may be straight forward I feel)

Use case: 50% TV-OTT(40%), Movies (40%), Music (20%). Important services: Prime, Netflix, Spotify and Kodi (for local content). Current room size is 18 x 15. Display is a 75" QLED.

Features & connections: Firestick 4k, Cannon Connect Station, Local NAS. AVR has to be HDMI 2.1 & HDCP 2.2 compliant. (No need for wifi on AVR)

Future upgrades: Would upgrade the subwoofer and that happen in parallel.

Brand Value: Nothing specific. Reliability is the top most priority. I have been a Yamaha user for past 15 years, and currently have 3067 that I plan to upgrade.

Yes, I am open to a used gear.
Since you're okay with an used avr, I would suggest to wait for a deal. Pray someone will part with their aventage avr, lol. But I must say that chances are thin as most aventage owners stick to them for a considerable time.

If you're not worried with the recent hdmi chipset issues, or you're not into gaming, I will suggest to get a Yamaha A2A. The bonus: you could cite the chipset issue and get a discount as well. I believe you should be able get one for ₹75k. ( If the bargain worked ).

Or try to source a rxv685, a very competent avr. You could get one for <= ₹65k.

I always suggest Yamaha for their reliability, though Denon sounds superior for movies. Since you're already a Yamaha user, you will feel right at home with a rxv685.

But both are 7.x recievers. As most of the titles are coming with Atmos content these days, a 7.x receiver can be a worthy investment for a long run.

All the best.

Edit: You could also consider Yamaha V4A, too. It's a 5.2 channel avr. And use the remaining budget for a better sub ;)

Last edited:
Like Silencer suggested, also check out A2A or V6A.
Even Denon x2700 is a good receiver, check it out too very good for movies.
A2A and V6A's have pre outs for front speakers it is a advantage.
All above would be within your ballpark wouldn't go wrong with either Yamaha or Denon.

Used receiver will keep prices in check, and the sub upgrade would keep you well in budget.

I too would recommend any recent models of 7.2 AVR from Denon or Yamaha that meets your 1- minimum specs and 2- budget constraint. I bought a Yamaha entry level AVR 18 years ago and it is still working at my friends home.

IMO Denon would be a good change in terms of sound signature and dynamic sound stage and is a great balance between performance and reliability.

Cheers!

75K is a very low budget for a decent AVR setup.

This setup itself will cost around 90K.
30K for a low end AVR.
30K for a midrange speaker package 5.0
30K for a decent subwoofer.

If you want a better AVR, you would need to spend more than 45K an the total will be more than a lakh for a decent/midrange 5.1 setup.

This can be reduced if you get lucky with second hand products for AVR and subs. This way you can save some money.

I'm also recently planning to build a decent 5.1 setup.

My config would be
Taga 607 5.0
Taga 212 SE/ Yamaha Sw300.
Yamaha RX V585.(already have this)
This budget is only for AVR, not the entire setup. I already have Taga 606 5.0. Currently using a Yamaha Subwoofer, that also I am planning to replace and have budgeted separately for that.

To reiterate, my major use be for movies & OTT, then music

This budget is only for AVR, not the entire setup. I already have Taga 606 5.0. Currently using a Yamaha Subwoofer, that also I am planning to replace and have budgeted separately for that.

To reiterate, my major use be for movies & OTT, then music
Try marantz 5015 u will get in that budget r any avr with preout u buy

I have used a fair share of cheap avr's over the years. when it comes to decent SQ on a decent budget I have always picked up a Marantz. I don't shy away from picking up a used one, when the budget is tight. Also i have found Marantz to be the most reliable in long run.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back