LOOKING FOR CLASS A AMPLIFIERS FOR MUSIC PURPOSE

sachin.shiva

I am looking for class A amplifiers only for music listening.
Existing speakers Focal 714 chorus. Himedia q10 pro, SONY PS5 and Denon 4200W.

OPTION 1) https://soundfoundations.in/products/avante-sa-60-class-a-power-amplifier/
OPTION 2) SIGNATURE SAPTAK
OPTION 3) Your valuable suggestions.

Budget -up to Rs 2 Lakh

Auditioned signature saptak ,very good .Just want to know how they will sound in comparison to AVANTE SA 60 please.

Need your valuable inputs.

Thanks a a lot for your time.

shiv

Hi,
If I were to buy a Class A I would stay away from this.
US $791.35 5% Off | WEILIANG AUDIO A65S class A HIFI power amplifier reference Accuphase-A65 circuit

It’s just my opinion but yeah if you like it then go ahead.

Look at used market too. If you are lucky you can get a Firstwatt.

All the best!

Regards,
Som

OPTION 1) https://soundfoundations.in/products/avante-sa-60-class-a-power-amplifier/

Budget -up to Rs 2 Lakh

Auditioned signature saptak ,very good .Just want to know how they will sound in comparison to AVANTE SA 60 please.

shiv
Only purchase items that you have auditioned, as there is a high likelihood that something will be off once it is added to the actual chain. Actual audition is the only option. See whether SF can assist with audition in your city

Hi,
US $791.35 5% Off | WEILIANG AUDIO A65S class A HIFI power amplifier reference Accuphase-A65 circuit

It’s just my opinion but yeah if you like it then go ahead.

Look at used market too. If you are lucky you can get a Firstwatt.

All the best!

Regards,
Som
It would be wise to avoid because it appears to be a Chinese copy. @Prodigy, is your first watt original or DIY? A First Watt in Resale is coming at 4L+, I was told sometime back. DIY is a big risk due to support, warranty unless we do it ourselves

The power supply is a Very Important part of any Power Amplifier (It supplies the power!)

Yest, most DIY amps use any (untested) transformer they can lay their hands on....

Budget -up to Rs 2 Lakh

shiv
@sachin.shiva, please search this forum and you will find number of threads on Class As, see if you can profit from them

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt5oUiI
+1 i also have the same thought
class A amplifiers
This needs high sensitivity speakers. You looking only solid state or valve amps will do?

If you can stretch your budget, check out with unison research. Another option is Sugden comes to my mind.

Budget -up to Rs 2 Lakh

shiv
+1 i also have the same thought

This needs high sensitivity speakers. You looking only solid state or valve amps will do?

If you can stretch your budget, check out with unison research. Another option is Sugden comes to my mind.

Focal 714 are 8Ohm, 91dB sensitivity as per the spec sheet.

With my Elekit SE amp 8Wpc, I could drive my old Jamo E855 6Ohm, 89dB (i.e. @1.33W) to nuts. I hadn't observed any clipping or distortion even at 90% volume level.

Theoretically, Focal will give 101dB with my amp while Jamo will play at 97dB.

Will you listen at those levels?

Focal 714 are 8Ohm, 91dB sensitivity as per the spec sheet.

With my Elekit SE amp 8Wpc, I could drive my old Jamo E855 6Ohm, 89dB (i.e. @1.33W) to nuts. I hadn't observed any clipping or distortion even at 90% volume level.

Theoretically, Focal will give 101dB with my amp while Jamo will play at 97dB.

Will you listen at those levels?
Just a General comment / flag....

Assuming that the Manufacturer's Sensitivity Specs are correct ...
Just nice (In general) to keep in mind that the SPLs indicated are 1 meter from the speaker....

2 meters from the speakers will be 3 dB lower

and 4 meters from the speaker will be 6 dB lower

2 speaker simultaneously driven will be a little less than 3 dB higher (Since the stereo signal is not identical in both channels)

Good single ended Class A amps usually have a robust high current power supply, so watts do not really matter. A 20 or 30 watt amp can be as powerful as a 100 to 150 watt class ab amp

As many have written above please do not go just by Class A., its not easy to get it right and you can always get better Class A/Bs also . MOst A/B amps are biased to a certain level at Class A after which it switches to Class A/B.

Pure class A amps have an efficiency of 10-20% hence a 20W amp will consume 200 W all the time it is played. whatever is unused by the speaker is dumped out as heat.

The 714 Chorus has impedance which goes between 8-4 ohms. Hence do look at the amp specs at 8 ohms and 4 ohms as well. eg a Sugden A21a classic has 25W at 8Ohms which falls to 14 W at 4 ohms

Unless you are really hell bent on a class A, and are unable to hear the combination, my suggestion is to stick to class AB as your speakers go very well with something like a Naim amplification and may be a lower risk than buying a Class A unheard. it is a tried and tested combination and they go together during shows as well.

While accuphase is very good, would not classify it as best. Pass Labs and older Krell/ML and Plinius amps are very good. Sugden masterclass series is another very good pure class Amp.

problem with above links are being 100V, will need a high quality step down and the hassle in terms of time/effort and the shipping customs will make one think.

Last edited:
Actually OP wants Class A up to 2 lakh Rupees and other amps like Sugden masterclass series , Pass Labs, Krell/ML and Plinius amp are more expensive then USED Accuphase but Accuphase can purchased below INR 1.5lakh in Japanese Auction sites

Add Around 20k INR will be shipping cost of Japan post EMS service for 28 kg Delivered in 15 days Japan to Our House

Duty Will be Your Declared Amount in the invoice these sites have option to set declared amount

Accuphase Built in transformer are multi tapped it can be converted from 100v to 120 or 220/240 by changing Jumpers below transformer

Also if he wants STEP down Nissyo Step down transformers 240v to 100v are Available in Japan these are best quality
Yes there is hassle in terms of time/effort and the shipping customs But its Worth Equipment You Get

Thats true. I am not sure if Buyee has the option of under invoicing at least for what I had bought so it would declared be in full value.if there is an option would love to hear that !
IF you do have access to someone who can repair electronics its a risk worth taking.,

Thats true. I am not sure if Buyee has the option of under invoicing at least for what I had bought so it would declared be in full value.if there is an option would love to hear that !
IF you do have access to someone who can repair electronics its a risk worth taking.,
https://yahoo.aleado.com/ has that option to change value also if you want to declare value now or later
but Buyee has advantage that your money will be deducted after you won the auction But in yahoo.aleado.com you have to fill money into their account prior bidding

Actually OP wants Class A up to 2 lakh Rupees and other amps like Sugden masterclass series , Pass Labs, Krell/ML and Plinius amp are more expensive then USED Accuphase but Accuphase can purchased below INR 1.5lakh in Japanese Auction sites

Add Around 20k INR will be shipping cost of Japan post EMS service for 28 kg Delivered in 15 days Japan to Our House

Duty Will be Your Declared Amount in the invoice these sites have option to set declared amount

Accuphase Built in transformer are multi tapped it can be converted from 100v to 120 or 220/240 by changing Jumpers below transformer

Also if he wants STEP down Nissyo Step down transformers 240v to 100v are Available in Japan these are best quality
Yes there is hassle in terms of time/effort and the shipping customs But its Worth Equipment You Get
I don't know if it will be easy to get the shipment through our customs, as import of used electronics is officially banned in our country. Of course it can be circumvented if there are the right acquaintances in our babudom. Either ways, I would make sure I had the wherewithal to manage the customs before embarking on this adventure 😅😅

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back