Looking for high end Android Media streamer

heart_hacker

Hi all,
I am looking for an high end android player as i want all the media player applications in one box. i.e XBMC/KODI, Netflix, Hulu and many more and i think android comes top on that. I dont have 4k TV but planning to upgrade in future so dont mind buying 4k box. I will be connecting android TV box to my AV received (AVR-X1000 - Denon 5.1) My main usage will be:

1) Stream from Internet (HD/ Blueray videos)
2) Stream from Synology NAS (HD/ Blueray Movies)
3) Occasional gaming ( is multiplayer/ two player gaming possible with android TV? with two gaming controller?)
4) Google Play store
5) Mirroring from iPhone

I have shortlisted 'Xtreamer wonder' but looking for better alternatives as well. Kindly suggest me a good power packed media player which will work flawlessly.

Thanks You All

Nvidia Shield is what you need - Rule the Living Room with NVIDIA SHIELD

Roku 4 also does 4K, it is just not as powerful as the Nvidia Shield. Also, it does not do gaming like the Nvidia.

You can also achieve the same functionality with a HTPC plus Chromecast, but gaming will be a limitation, and Chromecast does not do 4K just yet.

thanks @regeHA,
Have seen the specs of Nvidia Sheild, impressive but little expensive....any other options any one?

Thanks

Was checking some reviews on nvidia sheild...it has limited apps as compared to other android boxes, what does it mean? Sorry for this basic question as I am new to android tv world.

Hi all,
I am looking for an high end android player as i want all the media player applications in one box. i.e XBMC/KODI, Netflix, Hulu and many more and i think android comes top on that. I dont have 4k TV but planning to upgrade in future so dont mind buying 4k box. I will be connecting android TV box to my AV received (AVR-X1000 - Denon 5.1) My main usage will be:

1) Stream from Internet (HD/ Blueray videos)
2) Stream from Synology NAS (HD/ Blueray Movies)
3) Occasional gaming ( is multiplayer/ two player gaming possible with android TV? with two gaming controller?)
4) Google Play store
5) Mirroring from iPhone

I have shortlisted 'Xtreamer wonder' but looking for better alternatives as well. Kindly suggest me a good power packed media player which will work flawlessly.

Thanks You All

You are looking for an one-stop shop that aint there as far as my experience goes. We have a winner in Streaming Media player, that does not do much good when it comes to local playback (like from Synology). A local media player is not a good streaming device so on and so forth. Then there is gaming. No media player does gaming except if it is an android media player, that has its own limitations. This is how I will rate/recommend

1) Stream from Internet (HD/ Blueray videos) :::: ROKU 4 (with 4K support)
2) Stream from Synology NAS (HD/ Blueray Movies) :::: WD Live or Minix Neo X8 Plus
3) Occasional gaming ( is multiplayer/ two player gaming possible with android TV? with two gaming controller?) :::: Shield or Minix Neo X8 Plus
4) Google Play store :::: Minix Neo X8 plus Better plays store android compatibility than Shield
5) Mirroring from iPhone :::: Roku 4 or Shield. (Though I have only tried from an Android, but I presume it will also work for iOS)

Nothing simply nothing can beat Roku when it comes to internet streaming channels, like Netflix, HULU, Amazon Instant Prime or rest close to 2000 channels Roku supports including free ones as well like Crackle is unprecedented. Unfortunately Roku is not a very good local streamer. You can stream from your Synology but its limited, (and very shakey) and not many channels available to perform that activity nicely, and NO gaming. few pathetic games available but that comes just as a formality. (and they are paid as well..lol)

Minix Neo X8 Plus will not do streaming channels like Netflix or HULU as good as Roku (since it uses Android aap), but will do local videos via XBMC or you can view local videos via MX Player as well. To view videos on network like from Synology, get ES Explorer. X8 will also do decent Android Gaming. Nothing heavy I presume

Shield, will do gaming best with high-end android games as well, will do game streaming from your PC as well. Can play local video via XBMC and again since its android you can use MX player or VLC to view videos from network i.e Synology as well. Not to forget will do Netflix as well and HULU.(but again its android app so not sure how good it is) No Amazon Prime Video or any other streaming service (free or paid), except the ones that are available for Android, but those are just pathetic. (i mean not the service or the channel, they just work pathetic on Android)

Boils down which feature you prefer most. I wanted BEST streamer for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. other free channels for streaming were also welcomes, so I went for Roku 3. For playing from my Synology I just use Rasp Pi 2 with Kodi which does a very decent job.

Left is gaming, I am not very much in to Android gaming, but PC gaming I do and the PC game streaming that shield offers is something I am interested in, plus Android gaming as bonus is also welcomed. Plus Netflix is also there, so I might go for Sheild in near future. But for now I am pretty happy with Roku 3 and Rasp Pi/Kodi combination for now......

Last edited:
Was checking some reviews on nvidia sheild...it has limited apps as compared to other android boxes, what does it mean? Sorry for this basic question as I am new to android tv world.

All Android devices have access to the Play Store, pretty much all apps can be installed. The Shield has the added advantage of streaming games over Wi-Fi and in the cloud (paid service) that makes it an entirely different beast.

You need to make the call based on what is more important, local streaming or Internet streaming, get a primary device for your main need and then mix and match accordingly.

If you stream local content a lot, then HTPC is the way to go. You can take a look at WD Live or other recommended Android TV boxes, but do keep in mind that they are not upgradable the same as a PC, so you will be looking for a new streaming box for 4K, HEVC, etc. eventually.

If it's streaming content from the Internet, then it is hands down the Roku 4 you should be looking at. It's excellent for Netflix and similar services, and also gives you a ton of free channels. It is probably the closest thing to getting rid of DTH TV a.k.a. cutting the cord. However, it is extremely limited for local streaming, but easily solved with an external HDD plus Chromecast for up to 1080p streaming. For anything more, like 4K streaming of local content, high res music streaming, etc. you will need a HTPC and Kodi (not a fan of Plex).

Haven't tried the iPhone mirroring, so can't talk of it, but it is easily done with Chromecast for Android phones.

Thanks sam9s and regeHA for the detailed explanation. Now i have decided to go with Minix Neo X8 plus or Nvidia Shield....but Nvidia shield tv is not easily available in india, it is there on ebay USA but expensive one. Can i get it locally here in Mumbai? any shop details in mumbai? or on any other online store which ships in india?

Thanks a tonn

thanks @reignofchaos
$125 deal wasnt available there...ne ways ordered nvidia shield pro+ remote+ controller from amazon.com...it will take 7-10 days to deliver...

Thank you all

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back