Looking for Mini-Itx mobo for DIY NAS

Thank Baiju, I had found these earlier. Can you find me some additiooanl options which are slim but has more abundance of front USB ports? i.e more external device connection friendly?

The cooler master elite 100 that I'm using with e350 mobo is a very small cabinet. It has two front usb ports, audio ports and comes with a 150W PSU. I bought it from ebay for 3.4K appx, but couldn't find the listing now. You can contact smcinternational who are the sellers.

I liked the Antec Mini-ITX Case ISK100 more since it has 4 front ports, but at 5K + INR these are indeed pricey.

This case is an option though MINI ITX CUBE CASEING, @ 1600 | eBay and its image , it is almost a dito copy of Thermaltake cube cabinet.

$(KGrHqJHJDQE-n28fkIhBPv2fMD(Bg~~60_12.JPG

Utilizing the Disk bay I can fit one of these, will bring all desired ports to front.

Discount 3.5" USB 3.0 Front Panel Drive Bay 20Pins/10PIN To 2 USB 3.0+2 USB2.0

eg1890-1-sb3.0-20pin-cable.jpg

This will help keeping casing cheap but will add the cost of the front panel. Of course there are many variations of such front panels, some fit into SATA, some directly into pcie-e and the actial model have to be decided based on the mobo I select.

The other option is (since in the above option I do not hqave front load hot swap drive bays and might have to purchase sata racks later on) to buy one of these but again total price will go higher

Newegg.com - ARK ITX/CS-CI03 Black Mini ITX Server Chassis Internal 200W

@haisaikat, had you managed to find a cabinet you liked? I was pottering about on the 'net today when I found this new Mini-itx cabinet by Coolermaster: Elite 120 Advanced - Cooler Master

1.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

It will has three 3.5" drive bays. It also seems to have 2 full size expansion slots in the back. Weren't you looking for a mini-itx case with a full-size slot to accommodate a full-size sound card (or was it a video card)?

It has 2 USB 2.0 ports and a USB 3.0 port in the front.

It seems to have a pretty good internal cooling system (including a 120mm fan for the HDD bays) too.

An AnandTech review puts the price as $49 which sounds pretty reasonable. I couldn't find it in any Indian online store though.

Last edited:
Well done hydra, I will look into this. Thanks for remebering my need.

You know something, I actually did order the earlier ebay mini itx cube casing for 1800. But when the item arrived it was damaged probably due to courier mishandling moreover found the case to be very cheap in build quality. Returning it, seller has agreed to refund.

So am back to square one and this suggestion of yours is truly great.

I have the following configuration options in mind

Mini - ITX AMD Based (4 SATA 6gbps ports)
ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
Newegg.com - ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

Mini ITX Intel Based (6 SATA ports, with 2 being 6gbps)
Asus Motherboard P8H77-I LGA1155 H77 DDR3 PCI Express SATA USB 3.0 Mini-ITX
Asus Motherboard P8H77-I LGA1155 H77 DDR3 PCI Express SATA USB 3.0 Mini-ITX RetailCurrent - Motherboards - Computer Hardware - Computer Parts - HookBag
Intel G530 CPU 2.40 GHZ 2M CACHE 2.4 2 LGA 1155 Processor
Amazon.com: Intel G530 CPU 2.40 GHZ 2M CACHE 2.4 2 LGA 1155 Processor (BX80623G530): Electronics

Micro-ATX AMD Based
ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard (6 SATA 6gbps ports)
ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com
AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II 260 Processor
AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II 260 Processor | Processor | Flipkart.com

Last edited:
Well done baiju, ...

:sad: :p :cheers:

I have the following configuration options in mind

Mini - ITX AMD Based (4 SATA 6gbps ports)
ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
Newegg.com - ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD A50M Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

Mini ITX Intel Based (6 SATA ports, with 2 being 6gbps)
Asus Motherboard P8H77-I LGA1155 H77 DDR3 PCI Express SATA USB 3.0 Mini-ITX
Asus Motherboard P8H77-I LGA1155 H77 DDR3 PCI Express SATA USB 3.0 Mini-ITX RetailCurrent - Motherboards - Computer Hardware - Computer Parts - HookBag
Intel G530 CPU 2.40 GHZ 2M CACHE 2.4 2 LGA 1155 Processor
Amazon.com: Intel G530 CPU 2.40 GHZ 2M CACHE 2.4 2 LGA 1155 Processor (BX80623G530): Electronics

Micro-ATX AMD Based
ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard (6 SATA 6gbps ports)
ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com
AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II 260 Processor
AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II 260 Processor | Processor | Flipkart.com

For the NAS, I guess the E350 board might be a better bet, considering the lower power consumption, and the thing that all 4 ports are SATA3 (not that SATA3 will matter that much while accessing data over the network).

Sorry for the confusion on names guys, was feeling sleepy when I typed that post, nevertheless corrected it :)

On the mobo selection I was also looking at E350 option first but saw in the ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard that there is something called True SATA 6gbps speed which they claim in other mobos to be limited to 250 mbps by some internal bus speed limitation. '

If I underclock the processor / mobo bus clock will the power consumption not come down?

I also did another comparison, suppose the mini-ITX consumes 20 Watts and micro ATX 100 Watts (high though assuming no monitors and if I disable graphics in some way not sure if that will help), so difference in power consumption is 80 Watts. Assuming 10 hours run per day the daily consumption difference is 800 Watt Hours. On a yearly basis this is 292 Units of Electicity which is ~ Rs 1460 per year. This is of course promising for mini ITX but wonder with 4 - 5 HDDs will it still consume 20 Watts since each HDD ususally consumes 6-7 Watts for read and around 10 watts for write (1 - 2 TB HDDs).

Also read reviews that AMD processor (for micro ATX option) is very cool in operation, also this platform has advantage of 6 ports for future extensibility

Last edited:
^^No mini itx intel boards available in India. I searched long and hard but couldn't find any. Finally ended up buying one in the US.

Trying everywhere to get hold of any mini itx intel boards here in India..

Flipkart has out of stock. Tried locally in Hyderabad - no one has it.

Any ideas where can I get it?

Trying everywhere to get hold of any mini itx intel boards here in India..

Flipkart has out of stock. Tried locally in Hyderabad - no one has it.

Any ideas where can I get it?

I believe you can get the Intel DH77DF Dry Fork motherboard locally now if you look hard. It costs around 10 grand though so is a bit pricey.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back