Looking for options to upgrade MC phono Pre Amp

Sushant Sharma

Hello All
I am looking to upgrade from my current Ad797 Hynotoad LOMC phono. Just curious to see how much the chain can be made better with the introduction of a new phono pre amp.

Will request members to suggest upgrades. My TT is PTP Audio with Thomas Schick arm and Ortofon Classic SPU Cartridge and Electrocompaniet 70watts Amp and Harbeth C7es speakers.

The options available so far are Lyrita MC phono preamplifier. Another is pairing my Graham slee era gold, which I already have with a Graham Slee Elevator.
It will be great if I can get some guidance/advise from forum members about how I should go about it. Am good with pre owned ones too in the 30 to 50k range.
Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Many thanks

I am also thinking about the same thing. Have read some reviews of the ifi phono 2. Whats your opinion regarding the same?

I am also thinking about the same thing. Have read some reviews of the ifi phono 2. Whats your opinion regarding the same?
Thanks for your comments. Like you, I have also seen only the rave reviews on the internet for the iphono2. It had some quality control issues earlier which might have been sorted out now. I haven't been able to make up my mind on this little gadget even though theres a lot of praise showered on it. Maybe someone on the forum who owns it can do a comparison.

I recommend M.A. cotter set up transformer. Best matching to SPU.
Thanks for the suggestion banner. Had never heard of this phono before you mentioned it. Where would you be able to get one here in India? seems on the expensive side. Do you have any experience with it?

Check with Peter or Thomas Schick and see what they recommend. Go with what they recommend.

Hello All
I am looking to upgrade from my current Ad797 Hynotoad LOMC phono. Just curious to see how much the chain can be made better with the introduction of a new phono pre amp.

Will request members to suggest upgrades. My TT is PTP Audio with Thomas Schick arm and Ortofon Classic SPU Cartridge and Electrocompaniet 70watts Amp and Harbeth C7es speakers.

The options available so far are Lyrita MC phono preamplifier. Another is pairing my Graham slee era gold, which I already have with a Graham Slee Elevator.
It will be great if I can get some guidance/advise from forum members about how I should go about it. Am good with pre owned ones too in the 30 to 50k range.
Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Many thanks

Rega Aria
Lehman Audio SE2 PWX..i have this
Nighthawk

Many options but you might need to up your budget

Buy once and remain happy

It's easy to say this about budgets but not so easy to do for many self included

Get a good one

Regards

Get the Rega Aria. It’s available with any Rega dealer.
It’s outstanding.

Would appreciate the pricing info pls. If any indicators are avaliable.

I am currently using ortofon rhondo red cartridge with the project xperience with its stock arm 9cc or something

Rega Aria
Lehman Audio SE2 PWX..i have this
Nighthawk

Many options but you might need to up your budget

Buy once and remain happy

It's easy to say this about budgets but not so easy to do for many self included

Get a good one

Regards
Thanks Mahesh. The intent is to buy something apt and reasonable and "remain happy". You are right with the bit about budgets.

To get a phono at par with your turntable/amp and speakers, you will need to think of at least 2000+ USD approx as everything else will make that the bottleneck. I would suggest holding on to what you have now till you get there as any one of what you have mentioned will only push you to upgrade again.
Sutherland JC3, EAR 834P or higher , aurorasound vida, Allnic 1201/1202, manley chinook, jasmine audio 2.5 or Lyric PS10 are all very good.
I think the Lyric is the only one available in india.

The other area you need to look at is Gain and Impedance. Ortofon SPU has a .2 or .18 mv output and prefers a 20-100 ohm impedance. Hence need to choose the phono with the right gain and impedance option.

To get a phono at par with your turntable/amp and speakers, you will need to think of at least 2000+ USD approx as everything else will make that the bottleneck. I would suggest holding on to what you have now till you get there as any one of what you have mentioned will only push you to upgrade again.
Sutherland JC3, EAR 834P or higher , aurorasound vida, Allnic 1201/1202, manley chinook, jasmine audio 2.5 or Lyric PS10 are all very good.
I think the Lyric is the only one available in india.

The other area you need to look at is Gain and Impedance. Ortofon SPU has a .2 or .18 mv output and prefers a 20-100 ohm impedance. Hence need to choose the phono with the right gain and impedance option.
Thanks Arj for the detailed reply. I do agree with what you have said. I have also written to Peter asking more details and options. Many thanks.

Having heard mpw's Lehman Audio SE2 with the PWX power brick in my own setup for a very extended period, I wholeheartedly recommend it. The sheer lack of noise is amazing. I would love to be able to replicate this aspect in my own Hypnotoad and Isotope phonos.

Having heard mpw's Lehman Audio SE2 with the PWX power brick in my own setup for a very extended period, I wholeheartedly recommend it. The sheer lack of noise is amazing. I would love to be able to replicate this aspect in my own Hypnotoad and Isotope phonos.
Thanks Joshua. While the hynotoad is good and various audio forums have great things to say about it but I feel my combination of TT etc has more to offer in terms of sound. So a new hunt begins. haha. And Lehman Audio phono I have heard once in a senior members set up, will do some reading up and thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Pardon me for my ignorance. But if I already have a Phono In in my integrated Amp what benefit does a Pre Amp bring in extra in the entire rig?

Pardon me for my ignorance. But if I already have a Phono In in my integrated Amp what benefit does a Pre Amp bring in extra in the entire rig?
I do not have enough experience to answer but I think if you like the sound of the phono from your integrated amp then you are saving up on space, money and extra interconnects etc and should keep it like that. But a separate phono pre with it's own power supply etc could bring additional benefits. Not all audio components are made equal so it depends on what you own and how it merges with the rest of your audio gear. Nothing is set in stone and the best way is to either read up more or audition and experience first hand.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back