Looking for Speaker recommendations (Bookshelf Speakers only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some Bookshelves recommendations for stereo purposes only.
My requirements are:
1) Should be easily drivable
2) Good Dynamics
3) 2 way designs only
4) Something that’s no too small in size, typically looking for 6.5” drivers and will be placed on stands.
5) Budget, let’s consider to be around 1 to 1.1max.

Suggestions are Welcome.

Regards,
Som

Hi Guys,

My requirements are:
2) Good Dynamics
3) 2 way designs only
4) Something that’s no too small in size, typically looking for 6.5” drivers and will be placed on stands.

Suggestions are Welcome.

Regards,
Som
Hello sir,
1. Something upwards of a published sensitivity of 87 dB and above works best?

There are many lovely options around. Have you tried any before the Indiqs and have any particular preference?

And, finally:
a. Room size?
b. Do you like ribbons/folded motions?

Asking all this cos that's a good budget and options are aplenty.

Regards and best

Hello sir,
1. Something upwards of a published sensitivity of 87 dB and above works best?
Hey!! Yup that’s what I am looking for. Something that’s >87/88 DB & anything more than that is a blessing in disguise ;)
There are many lovely options around. Have you tried any before the Indiqs and have any particular preference?
Yup, back then when I picked up the Indiq, my inclination was towards Floor Standers and did audition couple of them before jumping the gun but now, after listening to couple of bookshelf at friends place, and even got a loaned Jamo Concert form a friend to try out and pretty much liked it.
I used to own a Elac B6.2 and pretty much liked it but sold those after I got the towers but yeah! You know. Dil maange more :p
And, finally:
a. Room size?
b. Do you like ribbons/folded motions?
Room size : it’s big enough but not huge. Plan to keep it in a dedicated space. Typical 16X18 you can say with some soft furnishings. I have no plans to treat the room fully. So max to max I may look at making some of my own absorbers and diffusers eventually.
Asking all this cos that's a good budget and options are aplenty.
Your posts sounds like an invitation to Klipsch to me. If you like their sound I reckon you might find it "fits the bill".
Thought about this for a moment! Infact Klipsch did pop up in mind at the very beginning. I have heard the Heresy briefly at my friends place, paired with a good class A amp and it was phenomenal but finding one is difficult.
Not heard anything else from the Klipsch stable. So may be, will try and audition some of their line up.

Regards,
Som

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the thing is, I have several in my list so far to audition.
Wharfdale Evo 4.1
Focal Chora 806
Revel Concerta M16

Will find out if I can audition these somewhere.

The M16, my nephew is using. Excellent dynamics, but needs good power. He was using with 120 watt dual mono amp, but now I made him a 20 watt single ended Class A amp, and he likes it better.
It is a little bit on the warmer side though.

You could have added KEF R3 to the above, but that will up the budget and will also mean, you will need a high current amp

Why not add actives to the list?

What will be your source and amplification?
@Kannan ji. It will be typically be the class A and the Class A/B I recently completed.
Source is Pi > Paired with Soekris and Line stage as a pre.
The M16, my nephew is using. Excellent dynamics, but needs good power. He was using with 120 watt dual mono amp, but now I made him a 20 watt single ended Class A amp, and he likes it better.
It is a little bit on the warmer side though.

You could have added KEF R3 to the above, but that will up the budget and will also mean, you will need a high current amp

Why not add actives to the list?
The R3, yes ji. It’s way over my budget. I did check with Profx and the best they offered was around 1.7. But like you said, amplification is something very important for the R3.

Hi Guys,

My requirements are:
2) Good Dynamics
3) 2 way designs only

Suggestions are Welcome.

Regards,
Som
For your requirements 1,2 &3 consider AudioNote AX 2 . But these have 6 inch drivers.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

My requirements are:
2) Good Dynamics
3) 2 way designs only

Suggestions are Welcome.

Regards,
Som
Hi , I have MONITIR AUDIO GOLD 100 (boxed ) for sale . Rs.95K.

If keen feel free to contact

Cheers
GOPI N JOSHI

Wow. After only a few months of buying and praising IndiQ floorstanders to the skies , with long defensive posts on every thread who questioned their sound , now on the hunt for another pair of speakers that too BS ? Great.
+1 wondering the same. He also had a separate thread with the indiq BS vs Polk and elac. My post is not a biased comment against the brand. Just a genuine curiosity. I would have posted the same if some one who hyped svs or any other brands and then planning for another speakers.

There is one KEF R300 on sale in headphonezone for 95k. If you can get for around 65/70 it will be a good bargain.

https://www.headphonezone.in/collec...acs-speakers/products/kef-r300-pre-owned-2963
@Prodigy was home with his DIY amp and DAC. I'm borrowing the DAC (another Soekris implementation).
The amp is huge and heavy. It is a class-A, 20W I think. More than enough to make the KEFs sing.
The amp is fantastic!! It can drive the KEFs to produce a lovely sound.
The depth and height of soundstage is unbelievable. I enjoyed the experience.

@Prodigy
If you like the KEF sound signature, something along these lines would make a great second rig in huge your living room.
In fact they would sound good even on the 2nd floor space that you have.

Keep on the lookout for used speakers. I have read that MA have a similar signature/presentation.
Take your time and hear out offerings in your home (with stands) in the intended space before you pull the trigger.

Listening to your build of Soekris. It is subtly different than the other one.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
The Soekris DAM 1021 of a Chennai FM is now sitting on my desk with a Amareno i2s USB board.
Have to fix the board and then find away to implement input switching between USB, coax and optical.

+1 wondering the same. He also had a separate thread with the indiq BS vs Polk and elac. My post is not a biased comment against the brand. Just a genuine curiosity. I would have posted the same if some one who hyped svs or any other brands and then planning for another speakers.
Hi @Love4sound and @Bloom@83 ,

Valid point! Why am i looking for a speaker? That too a Bookshelf now? Hmmm.

To all who are curious, I have 5 different amps and each one is different from one another. I am happy with my floor stander but some of my amps can’t drive those.

Another factor is I am in the look out for a Bookshelf this time. We all have upgrade itch right? So the same is with me.

Now I am in lookout for something really nice to pair with the amps I have built and that’s where the hunt is. I have heard a some of the bookshelves so far and I am trying to zero in. I want to look for more options before pulling my trigger.

As of now Trying to lug my amps along and see what goes well. If you guys have any suggestions for me, please advise. Let me try and see if I can audition it somewhere.

Another thing:). Just because one brand is good, I don’t want to make my house as a showroom for that brand. I have enough rooms to house multiple setups. People who know me in this forum and have come home know it. So it’s just an itch to own a BS. I think if one can host, having 2 to 3 set of speakers should not be a problem. I have multiple amps so I can set up things like how I want my music to sound. Again depends on the mood one is in. It’s just easier for me that way.

Suggestions are welcome on Bookshelf’s. Please feel free.
Hi , I have MONITIR AUDIO GOLD 100 (boxed ) for sale . Rs.95K.

If keen feel free to contact.
Hey Gopi… me and Raghu did have a come discussions today on the very same model. I’ll connect with you. Never heard the Gold Series till date but I have heard a lot of good review about it. I shall connect with you sir!

Regards,
Som

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back