Looking for Speaker recommendations (Bookshelf Speakers only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Prodigy if you are keen on DIYing this kit has been creating a lot of buzz all over the internet. It's not cheap even in kit form, though.
Sure Sir. This is interesting too. Let me check on this. Any idea if the drivers are available locally ? Probably will need to take Sadik bhai’s woodworking expertise

@FMs
Any thoughts on B&W 606 or 607S2?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have golden ears. And I say so subjectively :). On a scale of 10 subjectivity scale …..or should I say wide soundstage, fluid and smooth highs, and bass with sub bass that’s hits on chest……I would recommend the Kali LP 8. The 8inch woofers , the well tuned amps. And the inbuilt dsp. And the price is sweet spot on. The directivity is also optimum….not so narrow like other ‘high end’ audiophile active speakers.

Off course you can believe me if you are subjectivist (hey I am a FM)…..or you may not, with a pinch of salt.(you can or cannot trust the measurements, it’s upto you. It’s your money and your hobby :))

PS: this is an addendum.

For once you are correct on the my money/hobby part. It is indeed my money and how I choose to spend it and this applies to everyone. It would (for me at the very least) be better to donate said money and give up the hobby than spend it on objective gear. The day I am forced to listen to objective based gear with a more clinical/cold sound I will give up the hobby. Preferences vary of course. An 8" woofer is nothing to write home about.

If you are open to 3 way speakers and a little bigger bookshelves, I would suggest the Philharmonic BMR speakers by Dennis Murphy & they are supposed to be excellent in all areas. The drivers and crossovers are supposed to be very well designed and implemented. It is supposed to be better than some towers and other expensive speakers where the quality of sound and amount of bass are concerned. These were the objective reviews. But in this case there is no way you can hear them here unless if someone has them.
I have not heard them but it was on my list a year ago. The cost of logistics and the ridiculous customs duty here dampened the desire to have them. The US price has increased since then & may be around 1700 usd.
You can source them either from the US or Taiwan. It's an ID company which does not advertise much.
Although the sensitivity of these speakers are quite low, they are supposed to be easy on the amps, have a very wide dispersion and less placement issues. All the best.

Regards,
Nitin

If you are open to 3 way speakers and a little bigger bookshelves, I would suggest the Philharmonic BMR speakers by Dennis Murphy & they are supposed to be excellent in all areas. The drivers and crossovers are supposed to be very well designed and implemented. It is supposed to be better than some towers and other expensive speakers where the quality of sound and amount of bass are concerned. These were the objective reviews. But in this case there is no way you can hear them here unless if someone has them.
I have not heard them but it was on my list a year ago. The cost of logistics and the ridiculous customs duty here dampened the desire to have them. The US price has increased since then & may be around 1700 usd.
You can source them either from the US or Taiwan. It's an ID company which does not advertise much.
Although the sensitivity of these speakers are quite low, they are supposed to be easy on the amps, have a very wide dispersion and less placement issues. All the best.
Hey Nitin, This is an interesting one but considering the other hiccups, it may be too difficult to get that and even if we manage then customs is gonna rip me apart.. For the cost of customs duties, we may pretty much end up getting something locally..

Edit:
After several recommendations on DIY, i happened to stumble upon this.. https://audiofy.in/collections/spea...shelf-speaker-kit-pair?variant=36920226447521

Anyone here have built or heard these?

Regards,
Som

Hey Nitin, This is an interesting one but considering the other hiccups, it may be too difficult to get that and even if we manage then customs is gonna rip me apart.. For the cost of customs duties, we may pretty much end up getting something locally..
Yes Som, totally agree. That's the sad part of custom duties here. They are available at Salk, but priced quite high & won't be worth it by the time it reaches the Indian shores. A preowned one is available at US audiomart though.

Hi @Love4sound and @Bloom@83 ,

Valid point! Why am i looking for a speaker? That too a Bookshelf now? Hmmm.

To all who are curious, I have 5 different amps and each one is different from one another. I am happy with my floor stander but some of my amps can’t drive those.

Another factor is I am in the look out for a Bookshelf this time. We all have upgrade itch right? So the same is with me.

Now I am in lookout for something really nice to pair with the amps I have built and that’s where the hunt is. I have heard a some of the bookshelves so far and I am trying to zero in. I want to look for more options before pulling my trigger.

As of now Trying to lug my amps along and see what goes well. If you guys have any suggestions for me, please advise. Let me try and see if I can audition it somewhere.

Another thing:). Just because one brand is good, I don’t want to make my house as a showroom for that brand. I have enough rooms to house multiple setups. People who know me in this forum and have come home know it. So it’s just an itch to own a BS. I think if one can host, having 2 to 3 set of speakers should not be a problem. I have multiple amps so I can set up things like how I want my music to sound. Again depends on the mood one is in. It’s just easier for me that way.

Suggestions are welcome on Bookshelf’s. Please feel free.

Hey Gopi… me and Raghu did have a come discussions today on the very same model. I’ll connect with you. Never heard the Gold Series till date but I have heard a lot of good review about it. I shall connect with you sir!

Regards,
Som
I have couple of enquiries / offers for my MONITOR AUDIO GOLD 100 book shelf speakers. If you too are serious you can message.
Thank you
Wish you great musical experiences.

I have couple of enquiries / offers for my MONITOR AUDIO GOLD 100 book shelf speakers.
Hey Gopi.. I have decided to explore the BS via DIY Route.. As some of them suggested, i too got in touch with some of the Diy Experts and picked up the Satori Drivers and Tweeter kit. Probably the same will be delivered by Next Saturday is what Eight Audio has confirmed,,

Lets see how the build turns out to be.. Ill keep you all posted on how it turns out to be.. Whether or no my decision to go with this was a good / bad idea. There are mixed review about the kit and these are not so easy going on my amps too as per the specs but thought, lets give it a shot..

Anyways, if this does not work the way i intend it to sound, probably the hunt continues.

Hey Gopi.. I have decided to explore the BS via DIY Route.. As some of them suggested, i too got in touch with some of the Diy Experts and picked up the Satori Drivers and Tweeter kit. Probably the same will be delivered by Next Saturday is what Eight Audio has confirmed,,

Lets see how the build turns out to be.. Ill keep you all posted on how it turns out to be.. Whether or no my decision to go with this was a good / bad idea. There are mixed review about the kit and these are not so easy going on my amps too as per the specs but thought, lets give it a shot..

Anyways, if this does not work the way i intend it to sound, probably the hunt continues.
Hi Som,
Which specific model did you go with? Bromo 2 or Satori Ara or something else? Is it a full kit including the cabinet? Also please mind sharing the price as well if it is okay.

Hi Som,
Which specific model did you go with? Bromo 2 or Satori Ara or something else? Is it a full kit including the cabinet? Also please mind sharing the price as well if it is okay.
Hey MNX, I went with the Bromo 2.. We get an option to customize and choose the components. Reaching out directly to Sharvant may help there.
I went with the Aluminum Woofer and Ceramic Tweeter.
Did not want to choose any customization for the XO, planning to do it myself, once i see how their standard one sounds.
Price i paid is 38200/-

Need to assemble as it will not be fully assembled.

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some Bookshelves recommendations for stereo purposes only.
My requirements are:
1) Should be easily drivable
2) Good Dynamics
3) 2 way designs only
4) Something that’s no too small in size, typically looking for 6.5” drivers and will be placed on stands.
5) Budget, let’s consider to be around 1 to 1.1max.

Suggestions are Welcome.

Regards,
Som

JBL Synthesis HDI-1600 may fit the bill.

Hi @Love4sound and @Bloom@83 ,

Valid point! Why am i looking for a speaker? That too a Bookshelf now? Hmmm.

To all who are curious, I have 5 different amps and each one is different from one another. I am happy with my floor stander but some of my amps can’t drive those.

Another factor is I am in the look out for a Bookshelf this time. We all have upgrade itch right? So the same is with me.

Now I am in lookout for something really nice to pair with the amps I have built and that’s where the hunt is. I have heard a some of the bookshelves so far and I am trying to zero in. I want to look for more options before pulling my trigger.

As of now Trying to lug my amps along and see what goes well. If you guys have any suggestions for me, please advise. Let me try and see if I can audition it somewhere.

Another thing:). Just because one brand is good, I don’t want to make my house as a showroom for that brand. I have enough rooms to house multiple setups. People who know me in this forum and have come home know it. So it’s just an itch to own a BS. I think if one can host, having 2 to 3 set of speakers should not be a problem. I have multiple amps so I can set up things like how I want my music to sound. Again depends on the mood one is in. It’s just easier for me that way.

Suggestions are welcome on Bookshelf’s. Please feel free.

Hey Gopi… me and Raghu did have a come discussions today on the very same model. I’ll connect with you. Never heard the Gold Series till date but I have heard a lot of good review about it. I shall connect with you sir!

Regards,
Som
Hi,
If you wish to audition the amp with my speakers you are most welcome.
I have the following at the moment (talk about the itch; it’s maddening !!!) that can be tried out.
1. ATC SCM11
2. Harbeth P3ES
3. Spendor A5R (mini towers)
4. Indiq audio Diamond Achal (floor standers)

I have heard some very good feedback on your R2R DAC. I would love to hear this too if possible.

DM?

Hi,
If you wish to audition the amp with my speakers you are most welcome.
I have the following at the moment (talk about the itch; it’s maddening !!!) that can be tried out.
1. ATC SCM11
2. Harbeth P3ES
3. Spendor A5R (mini towers)
4. Indiq audio Diamond Achal (floor standers)

I have heard some very good feedback on your R2R DAC. I would love to hear this too if possible.

DM?
Planning to open a showroom soon are we.

Your thoughts on your speakers in a separate thread please, if time permits.

Planning to open a showroom soon are we.

Your thoughts on your speakers in a separate thread please, if time permits.
:) Eat your heart out!!!:D
But seriously I have collected too much stuff. I mostly buy used and I am struggling to choose which ones I will sell next to feed my upgrade itch. The day of the showroom is approaching. A new year sale? Hmmm
I am not sure my thoughts on these speakers would be of much interest as I have not really compared them and my analytical skills on this are rudimentary. I am lazy too. but I have just now written a short note to Bloom who asked a similar question and I can DM you too on this.
But next time you are in town, please come by for a listening session and maybe write up your impressions?

Reactions: ssf
:) Eat your heart out!!!:D
But seriously I have collected too much stuff. I mostly buy used and I am struggling to choose which ones I will sell next to feed my upgrade itch. The day of the showroom is approaching. A new year sale? Hmmm
I am not sure my thoughts on these speakers would be of much interest as I have not really compared them and my analytical skills on this are rudimentary. I am lazy too. but I have just now written a short note to Bloom who asked a similar question and I can DM you too on this.
But next time you are in town, please come by for a listening session and maybe write up your impressions?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a speaker you like rather than buying many? Just curious why you'd buy many speakers and still have the itch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back