Looking for Streaming Media player

karthick raja

Hi All,
I am looking for plain and simple budget streaming media player. I will be using primarily for YouTube videos (80%) and local content from pc/mobile (20%).

Device should stream 1080p videos seamlessly.

Budget : 5K

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Karthick

AVR 2113 is DLNA complaint and should be able to stream contents from PC, why not connect PC to receiver to browse youtube? just a suggestion.

AVR 2113 is DLNA complaint and should be able to stream contents from PC, why not connect PC to receiver to browse youtube? just a suggestion.

Thanks. But I guess AVR supports only MP3,FLAC,WAV so DLNA works like it reads the supported formats from network I guess. Correct me, If I am wrong.

I don't like to connect my PC directly as there will be wire clutters around in the living hall and I need a convenience to browse wirelessly and use them as remote control as well.

Thanks. But I guess AVR supports only MP3,FLAC,WAV so DLNA works like it reads the supported formats from network I guess. Correct me, If I am wrong.

I don't like to connect my PC directly as there will be wire clutters around in the living hall and I need a convenience to browse wirelessly and use them as remote control as well.

Yes, you are right.

Hi All,
I am looking for plain and simple budget streaming media player. I will be using primarily for YouTube videos (80%) and local content from pc/mobile (20%).

Device should stream 1080p videos seamlessly.

Budget : 5K

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Karthick

I have been using Roku for several years now. With Roku, you get one of the best user interfaces and software I have seen in *any* device. Period. And it has a massive app store.

Personal experience: Youtube quality is significantly better (both audio and video) via the Roku youtube app compared to Chromecast. Which is ironic as one would imagine that Google would do a better job of casting youtube in their own chromecast device - but Roku actually does a significantly better job.

And in their youtube app, you can either navigate youtube from the Roku app, or you can run/search youtube on your phone/tablet/computer and cast the video from your phone to the Roku app.

Roku also has multiple apps to allow you to stream audio and video from your phone to Roku.

It supports mp3, FLAC, WAV. It also has a USB port to which you can connect a pen drive or external HDD. Again, works really well - I use it all the time.

Finally, Roku 3 has a cool feature where the remote has a headphone jack. So you can listen to audio wirelessly even with normal headphones (Roku 3 comes with a pair of okay-quality earphones), and quality is quite decent actually (it uses wifi).

Plus, it has hundreds of internet radio and even more streaming video channels.

For almost a year, I had "cut the cord" i.e. got rid of cable and was using Roku exclusively for all audio and streaming video. It never let me down even once. No bugs, no issues, even no upscaling/frame/video glitch/audio issues.

And yes, it supports 1080p. I think all their models do.

I have been using Roku for several years now. With Roku, you get one of the best user interfaces and software I have seen in *any* device. Period. And it has a massive app store.

Personal experience: Youtube quality is significantly better (both audio and video) via the Roku youtube app compared to Chromecast. Which is ironic as one would imagine that Google would do a better job of casting youtube in their own chromecast device - but Roku actually does a significantly better job.

And in their youtube app, you can either navigate youtube from the Roku app, or you can run/search youtube on your phone/tablet/computer and cast the video from your phone to the Roku app.

Roku also has multiple apps to allow you to stream audio and video from your phone to Roku.

It supports mp3, FLAC, WAV. It also has a USB port to which you can connect a pen drive or external HDD. Again, works really well - I use it all the time.

Finally, Roku 3 has a cool feature where the remote has a headphone jack. So you can listen to audio wirelessly even with normal headphones (Roku 3 comes with a pair of okay-quality earphones), and quality is quite decent actually (it uses wifi).

For almost a year, I had "cut the cord" i.e. got rid of cable and was using Roku exclusively for all audio and streaming video. It never let me down even once. No bugs, no issues, even no upscaling/frame/video glitch/audio issues.

Thanks for the detailed info.

I have gone through several reviews and found Roku 3 to be the best but I don't need many features just an youtube and local streaming is enough as most of the channels like Netflix wont work here in India.

Meanwhile I found Teewe 2 as the best bet as it support 1080p as well as plays local content and cheap too at 2.4K but based on the reviews, it seems the streaming quality is not consistent and known to have frequent drop in connection.

Can Someone who uses Teewe 2, please confirm the above issues and how it fairs in daily usage.

I am also contemplating Roku 3500R Streaming Stick but its the costliest stick around and would like to know how it fairs against Teewe2 considering the price gets doubled.

Last edited:
you don't need to buy Roku 3. Roku 2 wil also give you reliable and good quality 1080p support. And I think if you look around, you can get it for a good price. My honest opinion - I do think the price markup is worth it - I have been burnt too many times by no-name or up and coming products that offer much value for money in the beginning but later on, we realize that they have some limitation or bug or the other. But it is just me.

Buy a raspberry pi for 2700 and install the he latest xbmc software- just plug and play. You can subsequently reuse the pi for any other project. There is no programming or any other complication.

Thanks for a short review, I am in decision to purchase Roku 3 2015 model, but I am not sure if you know this, I use DNS service like UnblockUS to access US locked channels like Netflix, currently on browser. So I need to know if Roku 3 can be used with a DNS service, of it the device is locked with a US based DNS. Can you (or any one else for that matter) share your comments on this ....

Thanks for a short review, I am in decision to purchase Roku 3 2015 model, but I am not sure if you know this, I use DNS service like UnblockUS to access US locked channels like Netflix, currently on browser. So I need to know if Roku 3 can be used with a DNS service, of it the device is locked with a US based DNS. Can you (or any one else for that matter) share your comments on this ....

Yes Roku 3 can be used with Unblock US to activate it. Also you need to disable the following Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to enable playing of Netflix through Roku 3.

I have bought Roku 3 a month back and thoroughly enjoying all the programs.

So does Roku 3 provide the option to disable Google DNS? Or is this something that needs to be done on the router .............. Thanks for your reply ...

So does Roku 3 provide the option to disable Google DNS? Or is this something that needs to be done on the router .............. Thanks for your reply ...

You have to use Static Routing on your router to block Google Server 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Use Metric 2 and Gateway 198.168.1.1. In case of any problem send an email to Unblock-US and they will revert back promptly.

You can ping 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 from any of your connected equipment to check whether the host is unreachable.

All the best and enjoy Netflix and other programs on Roku.

If you have a wifi tv already, you can simply use mobile you tube app and steam it to your TV.

Else one option is apple tv. But for that you need to have iphone / ipad.

For last 6 months I am using Amkette EVO TV MC. Nice little gadget. Streams from your home media server, supports USB and SD, has preinstalled XBMC v14 and of course as its an android (icecream sandwich, not upgradable) Youtube and other apps can be installed. With 1GB ram its not super fast but quite good for streaming, no lags while playing videos with 1080. Best part for me was audio pass through for videos, which helps to play Dolby or DTS using your AVR. Another thing is the remote, its a pleasure to use, cursor movement is very easy. Supports 1080i and 1080p. Wifi make it wireless for network connection. Bought it for 5300 from Snapdeal last December.

Bought Roku 3 and also set it up with DNS and Static routing. Enjoying NETFLIX and Amazon Instant Prime Video. Will probably write a complete review of Roku 3 soon

Back