Looking to buy an HTS under INR 90k

Hi Vaibhav,

Any update on the auditions ? Anything interesting? Shortlisted anything?

Thanks for following up efernand..

Yes, ofcourse.. I have shortlisted quite a few systems. I have soon share the list and ask for opinions. The hunt might go for a few weeks or a couple of months (I hope I could hold my temptations though to finalize the best possible option).:D

Hi Vaibhav,

I recently bought Denon AVR-1200W. It is a VFM AVR with very good options and good sound quality.

As for speakers, you can look for Q Acoustics 2000i Home Theatre Cinema package. I know a couple of dealers in Bangalore who can offer you a very good deal and can easily ship the entire package to you in Pune.

Let me know how it works for you.

Pushkaraj

Hi Vaibhav,

I recently bought Denon AVR-1200W. It is a VFM AVR with very good options and good sound quality.

As for speakers, you can look for Q Acoustics 2000i Home Theatre Cinema package. I know a couple of dealers in Bangalore who can offer you a very good deal and can easily ship the entire package to you in Pune.

Let me know how it works for you.

Pushkaraj

Hi Pushkaraj

Thanks for the info, at what price did you get both of them in b'lore. They are for 88k in hifimart?

Regards
Vaibhav

Last edited:
Hi Vaibhavi,

if you are visiting Mumbai, you should also check out various dealers with other brands you have not explored.

Hi Guys..

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I spent my last weekend in auditioning systems at 4 different shops in Pune. Below is what they had to offer around my budget:

Shop 1:
- Paradigm Cinema 100 CT 5.1 Speaker package (AVR additional) at 73.5k [Liked the sub it has but wasn't satisfied with the overall sound]
OR
- Different paradigm speakers with one pair of paradigm bookshelf for 37k, forgot the model (other speakers and AVR additional) [Liked the bookshelf but complete package would be out of my budget]

Shop 2:
- JBL HTiB [Wouldn't appreciate the sound, can spend more]
OR
- Focal bird and little bird [Sounds good, but too small drivers for the price, pretty costly]
OR
- Focal floor standing speakers, 1lac for two floorstanding speakers [Good sound, again out of budget]

Shop 3:
- Harman Kardon - Two kinds of 5.1 speaker package (85w -> 45k and a higher version for 65k) [Over good sound, nice clarity, sub 7" was under powered (didn't really produce a good thump when we played Hotel California]

Shop 4: (Here is what I got and thinking of finalizing)
- Polk audio TSX 220B (front), TSX 110B (rear), TSX150C (center), PSW 110 (sub), Denon x1200W (AVR) at approx 1.05lacs excluding cables. Auditioned the front, the rears, the sub (didn't have the center) and found good for music (couldn't audition movie since it didn't have the center). I took the tracks I liked for music in an audio CD (listened to some porcupine tree, eagles, tool).

(I could have mentioned the shop names too, but not sure if this would be appreciated here in this context)

My questions:
-Please advise if the deal by the Shop 4 sounds good or should I bargain more?
-Would these make a decent package for me?
-Would Denon and Polk go good together?
-AVR and speakers are 8ohms however somewhat vary in wattage, is that a matter of worry (I don't think so though)? Would that cause distortions at loud volumes?
-This guy tells that cables would cost an additional 10k - does this sound too much for speaker cables? I really don't need them too lengthy, only a little for rears to cover 8 feet. Should I get the cables online instead?

Vaibhav

Last edited:
Hi

ProFx in Mumbai used to deal with Denon AVRs + POLK speakers...now the AVRs are changed to Pioneer.....

More or less, Polks + Denon seem to pair well as long as you got the impedance and watts calculated ..you should be set to go....IMHO I was not too happy with the PSW110 somehow it lacked punch .....I have auditioned and used several different subs....

As for cables more or less, getting speaker wires (AWG 14/16/18) + HDMI cables + Subwoofer cable etc would cost around 10k depending on length, brand and quality etc.

Have you heard other AVRs? There are many still for you to decide unless you want to stop now and go for this setup....

Like I said before, if budget is a constraint , see the For sale by owner or Hi Fi Ads....you will find something nice....

All the best...

Thanks efernand

I have HDMI cables but yes would need speaker wires and subwoofer cables. 10k was a surprise for me though for it :(

I have seen some people selling used hifi products out of Pune and unfortunately it wouldn't be possible for me to travel out of city.

I hope that the Polk Audio package with Denon x1200w goes well. I am eagerly waiting for comments from people who have experienced any of these or all of these. :)

Regards
Vaibhav

... and by the way, is PSW 110 so bad? How is PSW 125 (higher model) or would you recommend any other sub in this price range i.e.: 25k max?

About the speaker cables, I see I could get a good 100 feet cable for 3k and a decent sub cable for another 3k making it no more than 6k. Am I right about them?

Hi,

As for the speaker cables...as long as the gauge is ok (14-16 AWG) then you should be fine...Subwoofer cable there are various brands.....Amazon sells BlueRigger....seems to be nice within 1.5k.

As for the sub 125 may work to your expectations....Audition and decide...the Pro550 is a good sub but expensive.....

Other subs you could look at are Jamo, JBL, etc...again all depends on size, power output and room acoustics....a sub which can perform to the lowest frequency (closer to 20hz) in a normal room with open / close windows is a good sub....

The details which i shared over PM is much much powerful and better....auditioning would be some challenge, YouTube videos may help to get some idea or else ask the person to send you a demo video....(WhatsApp).

Hi Guys..

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I spent my last weekend in auditioning systems at 4 different shops in Pune. Below is what they had to offer around my budget:

Shop 1:
- Paradigm Cinema 100 CT 5.1 Speaker package (AVR additional) at 73.5k [Liked the sub it has but wasn't satisfied with the overall sound]
OR
- Different paradigm speakers with one pair of paradigm bookshelf for 37k, forgot the model (other speakers and AVR additional) [Liked the bookshelf but complete package would be out of my budget]

Shop 2:
- JBL HTiB [Wouldn't appreciate the sound, can spend more]
OR
- Focal bird and little bird [Sounds good, but too small drivers for the price, pretty costly]
OR
- Focal floor standing speakers, 1lac for two floorstanding speakers [Good sound, again out of budget]

Shop 3:
- Harman Kardon - Two kinds of 5.1 speaker package (85w -> 45k and a higher version for 65k) [Over good sound, nice clarity, sub 7" was under powered (didn't really produce a good thump when we played Hotel California]

Shop 4: (Here is what I got and thinking of finalizing)
- Polk audio TSX 220B (front), TSX 110B (rear), TSX150C (center), PSW 110 (sub), Denon x1200W (AVR) at approx 1.05lacs excluding cables. Auditioned the front, the rears, the sub (didn't have the center) and found good for music (couldn't audition movie since it didn't have the center). I took the tracks I liked for music in an audio CD (listened to some porcupine tree, eagles, tool).

(I could have mentioned the shop names too, but not sure if this would be appreciated here in this context)

My questions:
-Please advise if the deal by the Shop 4 sounds good or should I bargain more?
-Would these make a decent package for me?
-Would Denon and Polk go good together?
-AVR and speakers are 8ohms however somewhat vary in wattage, is that a matter of worry (I don't think so though)? Would that cause distortions at loud volumes?
-This guy tells that cables would cost an additional 10k - does this sound too much for speaker cables? I really don't need them too lengthy, only a little for rears to cover 8 feet. Should I get the cables online instead?

Vaibhav

You always have been helpful efernand.. and you almost saved me from buying PSW110. It is right 32Hz would be too less for a good movie experience. Buying after seeing a video won't do justice to the actual sub performance so can't think of buying remotely, I'll buy a new one or from someone in near neighborhood.
I am thinking of spending a little higher for subs and reducing a little from my rear and center speakers.
Rear TSX11B to T15
Center TSX150C to T30
This would add approx 8k to my budget for sub and if I find a good sub I could think of adding a little more. I can spend on better center and rear next year.
Thinking about the following subs and would appreciate comments:

- Polk DSW PRO 550 for 35k and a good {23Hz}
- KEF C4 for 26k {29Hz}
- Velodyne Impact 12 (not sure about the price) {29Hz}
- Yamaha YST SW012 for 18.5k {28Hz} (in budget, but people say it rattles on high volume :( )
- Yamaha YST SW216 for 30k {25Hz}

I couldn't find any JBL sub which goes below 30Hz. Velodyne Impact 10 too is above 32Hz. My another question is, would I be even looking the low frequency so closely? I have heard people saying that Velodyne Impact 10 is so very good for movies, although it stands 32-140 Hz. :sad:

Please help me finalizing a sub, am almost done with the system.

Vaibhav

Last edited:
Hi Vaibhav,

BIC America F12 or H100ii is quite nice...I have heard it and it's great...for movies + gaming + music..

It's only speaker cone sizes of 10 inch or more which deliver clean low frequencies...23/24 hz...

Some ported subs also with small speakers can achieve this but are expensive...

The BIC setup ad on Hifi ads should fulfill your requirements with warranty and also save you 8k..

Choice is yours now....

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back