loose audio signals on my HTPC whenever i switch source on my AV reciever

Viren007

Dear All,

Please help me as i am using Denon avr 1713 with JBL cinema 300, my htpc has a AMD 5450 grapchic card, though its working fine, the only problem i am facing is whenever i switch to other source while watching movie through my HTPC and onceeswitch again to my HTPC source i loose audio signals, it makes my difficult to watch and left with only option to restart my pc again so that my AVR can trace the audio signal again.

also i use VLC player to watch movies , in audio option it show 5.1 and A/52 over Spidf, i have tested both and found 5.1 option much better surround sound experience,my question is how can i use digital signal thru pc is there any other media application give me better result.

Viren.

Are you using HDMI out for audio? If so this problem is common and as far as I know there is no solution. Windows recognizes your AVR as a display cum sound device. When you change the AVR source, Windows thinks that the display is removed and consequently the audio device changes to the next device like speakers and this will affect the playback. What you can do is close the player and start it again or not at all change the avr source. Another option is to use the spdif out for audio and set it as audio device in your player. Unlike hdmi, spdif once selected will not change.

Passthrough is possible in VLC. I think it is under audio settings.

Dear All,

Please help me as i am using Denon avr 1713 with JBL cinema 300, my htpc has a AMD 5450 grapchic card, though its working fine, the only problem i am facing is whenever i switch to other source while watching movie through my HTPC and onceeswitch again to my HTPC source i loose audio signals, it makes my difficult to watch and left with only option to restart my pc again so that my AVR can trace the audio signal again.

also i use VLC player to watch movies , in audio option it show 5.1 and A/52 over Spidf, i have tested both and found 5.1 option much better surround sound experience,my question is how can i use digital signal thru pc is there any other media application give me better result.

Viren.

For the first part even I am facing this issue which is not resolved until you restart the PC. Even if you switch off the receiver or change the source the audio signal is lost. I have the Yamaha 571 receiver and the same problem.

For the second part you can try using MPC-HC with MadVR output it is one of the best media player software and also free to use. For the configuration you can have a look at this thread.

thanks

thanks for your valuble reverts, however i have just downloaded XMBC any comment on this player.

XBMC is useful if you want to use the PC as HTPC. Setting bitstreaming is very easy in xbmc. Playback from explorer is not possible by double clicking the files. That is, you can't associate xbmc as default player for media files.

Are you using HDMI out for audio? If so this problem is common and as far as I know there is no solution. Windows recognizes your AVR as a display cum sound device. When you change the AVR source, Windows thinks that the display is removed and consequently the audio device changes to the next device like speakers and this will affect the playback.

Its is not always.In my case if I keep "HDMI Passthru"on in AVR,then even I change from HDMI 1 to 4,the vlc keeps playing ,if I again go to HDMI 1 ,I see the player playing.This may not be the golden option,but worth trying.

There was a strange issue,accidently I reset my TV ontion & windows started recognising only my Philips Display & not 667(as before).I reinstalled Win7 & problem got solved.

Spirovious i am using Denon 1713 as i mentioned in my intial post, and i keep HDMI control on always still the issue is presisting in my case..following are the HDMI settings on my AVR.

Auto lip sync -on
HDMI out- AVR
HDMI control-On
P.Off control -off

Spirovious i am using Denon 1713 as i mentioned in my intial post, and i keep HDMI control on always still the issue is presisting in my case..following are the HDMI settings on my AVR.

Auto lip sync -on
HDMI out- AVR
HDMI control-On
P.Off control -off

HDMI control is different than Standby Passthru in Yamaha.I keep HDMI control off & other on.

baijuxavior, i tried keeping hdmi control off too but the result is same, i am really fed up now, its not a worth spending 35k on amp and not able to use complete features, either denon or winows peoples should address this..

baijuxavior, i tried keeping hdmi control off too but the result is same, i am really fed up now, its not a worth spending 35k on amp and not able to use complete features, either denon or winows peoples should address this..

I do not think this is the issue of the receiver. I am basing this logic as I have my blu-ray player and Videocon D2H along with the HTPC connected thru hdmi to the same receiver. The only problem with audio black out happens with the htpc only and not either with the blu-ray player or D2H. Hence this has to do something with the hdmi control not getting transferred thru htpc option. I tried to change the hdmi ports but still the issue persists. So what I am doing is whenever I use htpc I will make sure that my receiver is on with the correct source selected before switching on the htpc. Also I am facing similar kind of issue like if the receiver is in standby mode and the htpc is running, if I switch on the receiver I loose the audio and only the video comes.

Thanks

Maniraj, am sure other users also facing a same problem, but is there any way to get audio back without restarting pc.

Maniraj, am sure other users also facing a same problem, but is there any way to get audio back without restarting pc.

As Spiro suggested this might be the problem with the Windows 7 OS that I am using, he had the same problem but got resolved when he re-installed the OS. I am not planning to do but can live with this as I use the receiver (being ON) for the HTPC purpose only. You can try to see if there is any particular solution over the google other than re-installing the OS.

Thanks

Whenever you boot the PC do power on the AVR first. Drivers are loaded preferentially at the time of booting and if the AVR is powered off then its bypassed. You can switch off the AVR once the PC is running if its services are not needed- say within 2 minutes or whenever booting sequence is complete.

I too face this problem but the fact that I power off my PC just once a month or so keeps the status quo maintained happily :)

It means there is no such solution for this problem except for keep restarting my pc , either keep avr on with current source only or start avr first...is it like this.

It means there is no such solution for this problem except for keep restarting my pc , either keep avr on with current source only or start avr first...is it like this.

First start the AVR then after it is initialized start the PC. Then go to Sound control panel Playback Devices. You should see hdmi audio device listed there. Set it as the default playback device. Now switch off the avr or change source and see if the playback device is changing to speakers or digital out. Most probably it will change. Now again turn on the avr and check if playback device can automatically change to hdmi. You could also try this by starting pc first and then avr. Post your observations.

Hey good news i have just updated catalyst control center with new update 12.10 and now its working fine for me until i keep my HDMI control off, once i switch it on i loose the signals again, however the only issue is i cannot by pass video signals to LCD keeping HDMI off.

Back