Low sound level moving from 3.1 to 5.1 setup

waris

Dear FMs,
Recently I have acquired 2 Polk OWM3 speakers from an FM. I already have 3020i and 3090C with an HTS12.
I have Denon X2400 driving them . I used Belden 8473 14 AWG wired for surround(20ft ). For LCR I am using 16 AWG wires( 6ft each ,provided by supplier).
After running Audyssey I have noticed that sound level is lower than before. Earlier I used to get loud sound at 50 volume level, now i have to raise it to 65 .Is AVR not able to drive 5 speakers?
What could be the issue here? Please suggest a solution.

What levels has Audyssey set for the speakers ? They must be in the negative. If so, you my try running Audyssey again. The volume level is relative to the levels set by Audyssey. The closer to zero, the better but not a hard and fast rule. Anything in the extremes is an issue.

What levels has Audyssey set for the speakers ? They must be in the negative. If so, you my try running Audyssey again. The volume level is relative to the levels set by Audyssey. The closer to zero, the better but not a hard and fast rule. Anything in the extremes is an issue.
Hi @ssf ,
Yes they are in negative but earlier too it was negative.

Two things to point out here:
1. Adding more speakers will always eat more watts from AVR reducing the overall volume levels slightly.
2. Re-run Audyssey again and don't focus much on volume levels on AVR, you can download app and set volume levels manually on AVR.

Two things to point out here:
1. Adding more speakers will always eat more watts from AVR reducing the overall volume levels slightly.
2. Re-run Audyssey again and don't focus much on volume levels on AVR, you can download app and set volume levels manually on AVR.
I also wanted to ask regarding the Audyssey App. which version is better Android or IOS?

I also wanted to ask regarding the Audyssey App. which version is better Android or IOS?
Doesn't matter both are same, but I think x2400 doesn't support audyssey.

Download app I meant, download spl meter which shows volume levels on phone.
Then turn the volume to 0db or reference level and run test tones on avr and calibrate each speaker to 75db.

Doesn't matter both are same, but I think x2400 doesn't support audyssey.

Download app I meant, download spl meter which shows volume levels on phone.
Then turn the volume to 0db or reference level and run test tones on avr and calibrate each speaker to 75db.
I think it does support. I did run a spl meter on the IPad and matched the levels.

Dear FMs,
Recently I have acquired 2 Polk OWM3 speakers from an FM. I already have 3020i and 3090C with an HTS12.
I have Denon X2400 driving them . I used Belden 8473 14 AWG wired for surround(20ft ). For LCR I am using 16 AWG wires( 6ft each ,provided by supplier).
After running Audyssey I have noticed that sound level is lower than before. Earlier I used to get loud sound at 50 volume level, now i have to raise it to 65 .Is AVR not able to drive 5 speakers?
What could be the issue here? Please suggest a solution.
Set Dynamic Volume to Light; it will improve the overall intelligibility (at the cost of dynamic range).

I did try it and it helps. But my query is regarding level change from 3.1 to 5.1 .
The calibration algorithm changes between a 3.1 and 5.1 system. That's why you see such a drastic change in volume level. With a 5.1 system, volume level 60/65 is petty normal for a decent dynamic range, nothing wrong with the AVR.

I did try it and it helps. But my query is regarding level change from 3.1 to 5.1 .
It's normal. Don't worry. Nothing wrong with the receiver. This is expected when the receiver starts decoding multi channel. Prior to 5.1, it's mainly stereo. Also, set the volume to show the db values which is easier for members to understand the levels you are listening at.

MaSh

The calibration algorithm changes between a 3.1 and 5.1 system. That's why you see such a drastic change in volume level. With a 5.1 system, volume level 60/65 is petty normal for a decent dynamic range, nothing wrong with the AVR.
Thanks for this clarification.

It's normal. Don't worry. Nothing wrong with the receiver. This is expected when the receiver starts decoding multi channel. Prior to 5.1, it's mainly stereo. Also, set the volume to show the db values which is easier for members to understand the levels you are listening at
MaSh
With 3.1 also it was able to decoding 5.1 content . What @OM_2K19 said could be the reason. At what level you guys play?
Also I am only running Calibration for 3 locations as my sofa is against the wall.

Also I am only running Calibration for 3 locations as my sofa is against the wall.
You at least need 6 locations for accurate calibration. You can skip the 7th and 8th locations, which are usually behind the main listening position.

I am facing another issue that I should bring up. I feel POLK OWM3 are not matching well with Q acoustics. The don't have the depth( I think mid bass)in sound as q acoustics.

With 3.1 also it was able to decoding 5.1 content . What @OM_2K19 said could be the reason. At what level you guys play?
Correct 3.1 decodes but you have 2 channels missing. That is 2 channels of missing filters and corrections. Check the manual to see how many filters your version of audyssey has. That makes the difference.

Run calibration for as many positions as possible. The more positions you add the better the receiver knows your room.

Regarding levels, I had fixed my max volume to 0 db. During the day, with a room full of people I averaged around -ve 10 db. That was loud. Mine was a marantz nr series with fronts being driven by a power amp. Source content also matters.

I am facing another issue that I should bring up. I feel POLK OWM3 are not matching well with Q acoustics. The don't have the depth( I think mid bass)in sound as q acoustics.
Rear surrounds do not need to have that. The hero of the gang has to be the Centre speaker if you have one. Others play a supporting role. OWM3 are the best surround speakers you can have. They fit that role perfectly.

MaSh

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back