Low volume from a 150Wx2 @ 8 Ohms, Class D amplifier

roshanjk

I have a Hypex Ncore (NC252MP module ),150Wx2 @ 8 Ohms, Class D amplifier .
I run it off a Laptop> Topping D50S DAC >Schiit Freya+ Preamplifier > Hypex Ncore Amplifier > GR Research X- Statik speakers .

I find that the volume level to be lower than expected . I am able to max the volume out in my small apartment which is quite surprising . ( i could not do that with my previous and much older Yamaha and Pioneer amps)
The output voltage of the DAC is 2 Vrms which is standard for a DAC ( RCA) . I am able to get some more voltage gain when running on the Tube stage of the preamplifier , but that is not sufficient.
Any ideas on what could be the problem. Could it be a problem with the Class D amplifier or does the amp require signals with more gain from the DAC ? Or could it be some other issue ?

The gain on that module is 26db. To work well without an active pre, this number should be at least 30db. What gain does the preamp have?

I used to use a 27 dB power amp with an unity gain buffer. Total system gain of only 27 dB driving 86 dB efficient speakers to very loud SPLs. There might be some other issue in the chain.

Which module were you referring to with a gain of 26 db . ?

The preamplifier specification for the 3 modes are :

• Passive (resistor ladder only, 0dB gain)
• Differential buffer (0dB gain)
• Differential tube gain (12dB gain)

Attachments

• 1610710982220.png
    1610710982220.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 5
Not sure if you have tried using the volume pot on the Freya. Secondly are you using the correct power modules for the amp? Class D amps have specific wattage requirements to reach their peak.

You have long chain of components at moment. Last you know speakers worked well. Working backwards first new item is your power amplifier. My suggestion and you better check with others on forum as well, connect your phone or mp3 player via RCA to power amplifier directly and play. You wont have gain control but should get idea of volume levels and work upwards similarly if that makes sense.

What software are you using to play media on your laptop? What is the volume on your laptop set at? Does volume control on your laptop affect volume output? What interface are you using on your media player (WASAPI, KS, etc)?

You have long chain of components at moment. Last you know speakers worked well. Working backwards first new item is your power amplifier. My suggestion and you better check with others on forum as well, connect your phone or mp3 player via RCA to power amplifier directly and play. You wont have gain control but should get idea of volume levels and work upwards similarly if that makes sense.
will try your suggestion

What software are you using to play media on your laptop? What is the volume on your laptop set at? Does volume control on your laptop affect volume output? What interface are you using on your media player (WASAPI, KS, etc)?
The audio interface suggested by Topping is Thesycon for USB audio. That supports ASIO 2.3 as well as WASAPI, and DSD. Full details are here. They actually have a specialized version on their website.

I am, of course, assuming the connection between the laptop and the D50s is USB.

Are you sure that you are getting 2V out of your DAC / preamp ? have you measured it? If not, please consider measuring the output level at the exit of each component.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back