Low volume/Treble on one speaker

vj_box

Hello all, so I took a plunge with the Mission VX-4 floor standers and they sound surprisingly good for their price. After unpacking and setting up, I realised one of the speakers have a lesser volume especially on the highs whereas the other speaker sound rich with highs and vocals, the one at fault seems a bit taken back or muddled. To rule out the question of faulty stereo AMP I tried connecting the speakers to the AVR as well and noticed a drop in the highs/ vocals area which I was able to spot when moving near both the speakers side by side. So when hearing from the listening position it sounded like one speaker was more prominent than the other. All the drivers seem to move visibly but I felt there was a bit of a dull sound from the top most driver where the tweeter rests below. Ok the other speaker that zone sounded nice and rounded.

I tried swapping the speakers and noticed the same issue with the so called faulty one. Not sure if it’s an issue with the voice coil or tweeter ?

I spoke to HTStore and they have asked for a quick recording over WhatsApp of the issue for them to figure out what’s happening. Not sure if the phone recording would capture like I told them but I am going to try it today.

Any suggestions on what else I should try ?

Do check this speaker has bi-amp feature?
If so for narrow down you can remove the jumper and connect your avr to hf driver and Lf driver separately.
May be it can help to understand.
Trust you know what i meant and aware about the connection.

Do check this speaker has bi-amp feature?
If so for narrow down you can remove the jumper and connect your avr to hf driver and Lf driver separately.
May be it can help to understand.
Trust you know what i meant and aware about the connection.

Yes it does have a bi-amping feature but I have connected using the standard method of connecting LF and HF (1st and the 3rd terminals) with the Jumper in place. Like I said, one of the speakers sound full and the other one for some reasons is a bit dull. Should I try removing the jumper and try connecting directly to the terminals ? I dont plan to Bi-amp though.

Yes remove the jumper(basically it is plate) try connecting Lf alone and hf aloneand comparr the same way with other speaker aswell.
Share some photgraphs so that it will be clear.
After checking put back the jumper in place .Talk to seller and do it

Ok after extensive testing with different sources and Amps. I was able to conclude one of the speakers were indeed faulty. We got multiple ears to confirm this at our studio and all of them felt that one of the speaker played muffled and lacked that crispy highs that the other speaker was able to produce. This clearly affected the imaging and our ears were always leaning towards the speaker that was playing clear highs and at higher levels. Its a shame that these speakers have great potential but I realized it needed a lot of Bass taming and proper setup chain to bring out their best performance.

Spoke to Mr Lokesh @ HT store - while he felt it was a strange issue, he was ok to get it back and refund. I just shipped them back to HT Store. Now I am thinking to rather go for a good pair of Bookshelves in the likes of Zensor3, QA 3020. Our AV room is 20L X 10W - any suggestions on what sort of speakers can I for the fronts? I will open a new thread if needed for the advise.

Oh that is sad. HT Store was not willing to replace just the faulty speaker? It clearly sounds like a Tweeter blown issue.

MaSh

Oh that is sad. HT Store was not willing to replace just the faulty speaker? It clearly sounds like a Tweeter blown issue.

MaSh

I was told that was the last pair they had on sale and after all the hassle I am not really happy to go for a replacement as it kinda put a negative opinion about the speakers. Any suggestions on the bookshelves I quoted ?

I was told that was the last pair they had on sale and after all the hassle I am not really happy to go for a replacement as it kinda put a negative opinion about the speakers. Any suggestions on the bookshelves I quoted ?

Ahh okay, yes that is also true. If it was the last one, then best to avoid.

Out of Zensor 3 and QA 3020, I would pick the QA if I have an excellent Sub in place. The highs and the mids of the QA were fantastic to my ears, no lowend as such, to mention. Zensor 3 is slightly more forgiving as it has a very good all round performance. The mids and highs are maybe one or two level below the QA, but that is only if you have heard them both side by side. Zensor 3 has a decent lowend. There are many members who are currently using the Zensors and will be able to provide a detailed review of them.

MaSh

Ahh okay, yes that is also true. If it was the last one, then best to avoid.

Out of Zensor 3 and QA 3020, I would pick the QA if I have an excellent Sub in place. The highs and the mids of the QA were fantastic to my ears, no lowend as such, to mention. Zensor 3 is slightly more forgiving as it has a very good all round performance. The mids and highs are maybe one or two level below the QA, but that is only if you have heard them both side by side. Zensor 3 has a decent lowend. There are many members who are currently using the Zensors and will be able to provide a detailed review of them.

MaSh

Thanks Mash. I am not as such a bass head and will be happy with good mids and highs. I am planning to hook up a Klipsch sw110 sub and use the setup for both Stereo and HT. I think I can settle with 3020s in that case. How would recommend the Wharf 225s ?

Thanks Mash. I am not as such a bass head and will be happy with good mids and highs. I am planning to hook up a Klipsch sw110 sub and use the setup for both Stereo and HT. I think I can settle with 3020s in that case. How would recommend the Wharf 225s ?

Excellent then. 3020s are superb speakers in my opinion. With a sub they'll be great.

Regarding the Wharfedale, I don't have much idea as I have not heard them personally.

MaSh

Hi

The Wharfs 225 are a bit bright sounding.......a lot of tweaking needs to be done on AVR (including speaker placement) to get the best from them

You could also possibly look at the Polks RTiA1s or A3s....

Profx...they usually rope in 10% discount....you need to demand for it

Back