LP Shopping in Chennai

jls001

Been in Chennai since last Saturday night and had been meaning to find at least some time to do LP shopping. Today I finally wound up my work and did a quick spot of shopping at Moore Market before pushing off to airport. Bought only 6 from Thariq (shop no 76A, IIRC).

Just landed in Kolkata this evening and hopefully should find some time to go to Dharamtola or maybe Free School Street (and hopefully get lucky).
Joshua

Checked out both locations. Free School Street seller is now too costly. Prices begin in the region of 250. There are cheaper ones 150 but in lesser condition. Saw some very good titles in Jazz and Rock. Picked up only a few here.

Got much luckier at Dharamtolla (thanks, Prateek for your earlier post on how to get there). Picked up a big bunch. This guy in Dharamtolla has tons of vinyl in every genre except perhaps jazz. Definitely worth checking out.

Which titles did u pick at chennai and how much you pay? Do they have more numbers?

Picked up only six titles - 4 western classical and a couple of others. They had may be 50-60 LPs. I didn't find any other shop in the complex. Asking price was 150 but brought it down to 100 each.
Joshua

Hi,

There are three roadside shops opposite to Kamalalaya, one of them is of Mashooq's father Jamal. If u r looking for hindi/bengali releases, those three shops r the place to go. Must negotiate heavily on price. Mint condition 2nd hands r approx rs.100-150 max. Have picked some gd condn rare bengali LP's for even 30rs.

BR

There is another guy - Ilyas ( mob 9830741031) at the some place. If you tell him a album, he sources it for you. He got Prabha Atre's LP release Night Melodies for me in a fairly good condition.

ps. This thread is becoming LP shopping in Kolkata

>>>
Hmmm.
Methinks I have to make a trip to the city of joyous LPs!

The prices in balmy Bombay in the Fort area are a stratospheric 250 per (hindustani classical) LP. I bought two LPs ( one of DV Paluskar and the other of Ustad Abdul Halim Jaffar Khan) for Rs 200/- each after haggling for thirty minutes.

Will I get western classical - jazz- rabindrasangeet -hindustani classical - hindi film music of the 50s-60s ( as opposed to bollywood noise:D of today) in Kamlalaya?

Regards, spiral safe

Hi,

For western collection Free school street is the place to go. For Indian collection Kamalalaya shop & the other roadside shops around it r good. For normal indian collections they often have old but "unused" records for around 200/250. Keep an eye for them, think they are good bargain. Buy previously used records only if u hv good experiece of buying olds.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back