Luxman new SS integrates are coming out. Z-series.

essrand

Anyone else excited about how these are going to turn out? Some of my favourite amps have been put to pasture for these new series.
507Z is available worldwide, 509Z the flagship is now out in Japan.

Luxman L-507Z Integrated Amplifier
Link: https://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=40

gb1.jpg

gb2.jpg

Anyone else excited about how these are going to turn out? Some of my favourite amps have been put to pasture for these new series.
507Z is available worldwide, 509Z the flagship is now out in Japan.

Great to see the new offerings from Luxman. They have been absolutely stellar of recent.
Should be interesting to see what they sound like now that they have stopped making Class A amps.

It seems they have 2 headphone out jacks.. I wonder what their target audience is.. Two people listening to the same music together on different headphones can't be regular, normal people surely..

It seems they have 2 headphone out jacks.. I wonder what their target audience is.. Two people listening to the same music together on different headphones can't be regular, normal people surely..
Its for different size pins on headphone cables. I think it is a convenience feature.
Cheers,
Sid

Screenshot_20230207_142317_Chrome.jpg
one single ended 6.3mm and another 4.4mm balanced pentaconn headphone out, they are different ports for different topology, not meant for concurrent listening by two individuals over two headphones through this amp.

Its for different size pins on headphone cables. I think it is a convenience feature.
Cheers,
Sid
Balanced headphone out has individual ground for L and R channel on internally balanced ss amps as it reduces crosstalk and increases the power output but yes a balanced headphone out is just a conveninence feature on pure SET amps as they are single ended internally.

I am hoping new class A amps will pop up eventually in this new line.
I think we today have the technology to make effecient class D amps, which can sound like class A or tubes or anything considered glorious out there. Iam guilty as charged for still using inefficient tube amps. So iam on the lookout for effecient class D amps next. I can add the colouration I need via a small signal tube either in the dac or preamp. Tube, class A and class AB technology is old and has been beaten to death. All the innovation is in the digital realm now. Iam hearing that the newer class D are fully digital based. We just feed the digital bits, and the amp does the amplification directly in the digital domain without any of the usual DA conversion. No esoteric power supplies or exotic cabling needed. And the first ones are already in beta testing. And they measure so damn good, that our beloved ASR will soon be retired 🤣🤣.

I think in the future I will need just one class D amp, with presets to make it sound whichever way I like.

As regards luxman introducing class A amps, I don't think that will ever happen. EU is already mulling legislation to enforce effecieny targets on electronics. They want to generate clean power, and also use it sparsely. Energy guzzling designs will soon be banned. So it doesn't make commercial sense to invest in a class A line any more.

Though I would miss the nostalgic romance of valve's, I think class D is the responsible thing to do. So that's where iam heading next 😃

Class A amps manufacturing has been stopped for good as they are very inefficient in their energy utilisation..
they are only 30-50% efficient now a days. But again the efficiency of a speaker is less than 2% ( is <95dB sensitivity speaker) hence thats the real choke point

Theoretically if a speaker efficiency were 50% you would need only 10% of the power for enough and more :)

I think we today have the technology to make effecient class D amps, which can sound like class A or tubes or anything considered glorious out there. Iam guilty as charged for still using inefficient tube amps. So iam on the lookout for effecient class D amps next. I can add the colouration I need via a small signal tube either in the dac or preamp. Tube, class A and class AB technology is old and has been beaten to death. All the innovation is in the digital realm now. Iam hearing that the newer class D are fully digital based. We just feed the digital bits, and the amp does the amplification directly in the digital domain without any of the usual DA conversion. No esoteric power supplies or exotic cabling needed. And the first ones are already in beta testing. And they measure so damn good, that our beloved ASR will soon be retired 🤣🤣.

I think in the future I will need just one class D amp, with presets to make it sound whichever way I like.

As regards luxman introducing class A amps, I don't think that will ever happen. EU is already mulling legislation to enforce effecieny targets on electronics. They want to generate clean power, and also use it sparsely. Energy guzzling designs will soon be banned. So it doesn't make commercial sense to invest in a class A line any more.

Though I would miss the nostalgic romance of valve's, I think class D is the responsible thing to do. So that's where iam heading next 😃
Old is gold. As attested by vinyl :)
Measurement != Music
What is tried and tested and has lasted 20-50-100 years might be the best bet.
Don't succumb to Neomania so soon, let your ears be your judge.

We have been through this, people threw away their vinyl when CDs came, their CDs when streaming came, their tubes when transistors came....and lo! running back to CD transports and vinyl is 2000 bucks a pressing or 2L, and NOS tubes are getting more and more expensive by the day.

The word "colouration" means nothing. Tubes sound more real and more life like than any class D, I have heard or I bet (will hear for times to come), there's a reason it's still going strong. Hold on to your amps :)

Old is gold. As attested by vinyl :)
Measurement != Music
What is tried and tested and has lasted 20-50-100 years might be the best bet.
Don't succumb to Neomania so soon, let your ears be your judge.

We have been through this, people threw away their vinyl when CDs came, their CDs when streaming came, their tubes when transistors came....and lo! running back to CD transports and vinyl is 2000 bucks a pressing or 2L, and NOS tubes are getting more and more expensive by the day.

The word "colouration" means nothing. Tubes sound more real and more life like than any class D, I have heard or I bet (will hear for times to come), there's a reason it's still going strong. Hold on to your amps :)
Iam holding onto everything, including my grand father's radio 😂😂. Definitely not going to sell anything 😀. I already told my daughter that I will be leaving behind 3 tube amps and a vinyl rig in her will. Though she didn't seem delighted, I hope my future son in law will worship my bald head photos loong after iam gone 🤣🤣😀

But on a more serious note, iam seriously considering a effecient amp for summers and back ground listening. I probably wouldn't jump on the class D wagon right away. But even a class AB will be a major improvement when it comes to heat management and electrical consumption. Not to mention better reliability over faffing with tubes all the time 😜

Iam holding onto everything, including my grand father's radio 😂😂. Definitely not going to sell anything 😀. I already told my daughter that I will be leaving behind 3 tube amps and a vinyl rig in her will. Though she didn't seem delighted, I hope my future son in law will worship my bald head photos loong after iam gone 🤣🤣😀

But on a more serious note, iam seriously considering a effecient amp for summers and back ground listening. I probably wouldn't jump on the class D wagon right away. But even a class AB will be a major improvement when it comes to heat management and electrical consumption. Not to mention better reliability over faffing with tubes all the time 😜

more than class A/Class B by default Transisters are more efficient than tubes. hence a Class AB transister amp will be more efficient than a Class AB Vacuum tube

For quite sometime I was looking to upgrade my Luxman gear. I have Luxman 507 ux and Luxman DAC DA06. The system has been working fine till today but now I feel a little saturated with overtly smooth, silky and rounded sound signatures of Luxman gear. I miss the grainy sound of my first Quad pre pro gear.
Will knowledgeable fellow members suggest if upgrading to Z series - either 507z or 509z would be a good choice. What are other alternatives?
I am also thinking of upgrading my iFi Zen streamer which I am using for playing spotify and music through external.HDD. since Luxman DAC DA06 is still fine what should be a logical upgrade as streamer bridge without internal DAC?

For quite sometime I was looking to upgrade my Luxman gear. I have Luxman 507 ux and Luxman DAC DA06. The system has been working fine till today but now I feel a little saturated with overtly smooth, silky and rounded sound signatures of Luxman gear. I miss the grainy sound of my first Quad pre pro gear.
Will knowledgeable fellow members suggest if upgrading to Z series - either 507z or 509z would be a good choice. What are other alternatives?
I am also thinking of upgrading my iFi Zen streamer which I am using for playing spotify and music through external.HDD. since Luxman DAC DA06 is still fine what should be a logical upgrade as streamer bridge without internal DAC?
The silent angel m1t is a good option in the budget category as a streamer, have been using it with matric mini pro 3 as dac and it does present a significant improvement in resolution and soundstage depth, special mention goes to the added openness and fluidity over the sotm sMS200 neo previously used, using mac mini as a roon core and tidal as the music service. You can look at other option like auralic aries G1.1 or sotm sMS200 ultra neo.

that is a signature of the new Luxman .They were first taken taken over by Alpine in the 80's when their sound became slightly more populistic and the byt and then by IAG recently where they have sound more processed.

Many folks like this smooth "Refined" sound but if you like the old Quads ( which model ? ) then upgrading on the luxman chain will not help

Which speakers do you use ?

Do you have access to getting equipment from abroad ? Options like pass labs come to mind

Last edited:
that is a signature of the new Luxman .They were first taken taken over by Alpine in the 80's when their sound became slightly more populistic and the byt and then by IAG recently where they have sound more processed.

Many folks like this smooth "Refined" sound but if you like the old Quads ( which model ? ) then upgrading on the luxman chain will not help

Which speakers do you use ?

Do you have access to getting equipment from abroad ? Options like pass labs come to mind
I am presently using Polk Audio LSiM 707 tower speakers. These are 4 way speakers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back