Lyngdorf digital amplifiers with room correction

essrand

These amps came into my radar when I was researching an SS integrated amplifier to replace my 300b tube mono-blocks and it was raved about by a Polish audiophile site.

And then coincidentally a few weeks later, a thread on the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 made it the latest craze on Audiogon, and it seems like some lifelong audiophiles who were tube-fanatics are happy converts.

This does everything DAC, preamp, amp, room correction in one box and apparently beats many separates. It would lovely if the hype was true.

I got tempted and am putting on hold my ideas of purchasing an SS class A integrated and getting an in-house demo of Lyngdorf 2170 next week.

Anyone here who has heard a Lyngdorf?

Last edited:
My Brother-in-law uses this one paired to Ohm speakers in US replacing McIntosh gear. He has a lot of praise for this equipment.
His listening preferences are Indian classical - vocals & instruments and the erst while bollywood music and source is Auralic.

My Brother-in-law uses this one paired to Ohm speakers in US replacing McIntosh gear. He has a lot of praise for this equipment.
His listening preferences are Indian classical - vocals & instruments and the erst while bollywood music and source is Auralic.

That's really good to hear, I have similar tastes as well and was wondering if Lyngdorf would do justice to vocals which are a strong point of tubes (especially 300b SET).

No experience in High End Equipments but Parasound Halo looks good. In the past from DiyAudio I came to know it is designed by famous Mr. John Curl, With discrete high quality component, Biased in such a way that it works in class A at lower volumes (Good enough for Indian Classical), Balanced inputs, subwoofer attachment and Phono (MM and MC with Load setting) and Digital inputs. A very well made and designed amplifier. Anyway Listening should be given top priority.
Regards.

No experience in High End Equipments but Parasound Halo looks good. In the past from DiyAudio I came to know it is designed by famous Mr. John Curl, With discrete high quality component, Biased in such a way that it works in class A at lower volumes (Good enough for Indian Classical), Balanced inputs, subwoofer attachment and Phono (MM and MC with Load setting) and Digital inputs. A very well made and designed amplifier. Anyway Listening should be given top priority.
Regards.

Not every model of Parasound Halo series is John Curl designed. Only JC1 mono blocks are. All Other models such as A21, A51 etc., are just an influence that's all. With the hype of JC1 Parasound is selling other models not to say pricing high.

These JC1s are similar to Mark Levinson legendary 20.5 mono blocks which were designed in those days when JC was working in ML.

Having used JC1s extensively I can confidently say it cannot substitute 300b set amps.

@essrand if you are using 300b for high efficiency speakers may be 100db+ IMO lyngdorf may not be a good substitute.

I did try my Symphonic line RG10 MKiv reference replacing my 300Bs of Don Allen in my Altecs, my god unbearable. SL RG10s are one of the best integrateds though.

My few cents.

Having said I wait for your reviews incase you acquire one.

That's really good to hear, I have similar tastes as well and was wondering if Lyngdorf would do justice to vocals which are a strong point of tubes (especially 300b SET).
The bonus is inclusion of Steinway's room correction system which works well in most rooms. Also Steinway systems are famed for able to reproduce Piano sound.
I shall check with him on next conversation.
Looking forward to your impressions.

Another amp you could look at is the SPEC RSA M-3EX. Read about it long back. It is touted to emulate tube presentation. Looks beautiful with a purpose made wooden platform. However this one is limited to 60 watts at 8 ohm.

Any comments on the following options? Lyngdorf is one of them:

Cary SI 300.2d
https://www.caryaudio.com/products/si-300-2d-integrated-amplifier/

Classe 2200i
https://classeaudio.com/sigma-2200i/

Parasound Halo Integrated
http://www.parasound.com/hint.php

Peachtree Audio nova300
https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova300-amplifier-with-dac.html

Lyngdorf TDAI 2170
http://lyngdorf.com/tdai-2170/

My son (in the US) wants to buy. His speakers are Focal Aria 948

Thanks
Probably a good idea to start a new thread on this question.

Halo Integrated is designed by John Curl.
Didn't Noticed the OP's Original Query Which is not about various Amplifier choices. Sorry for being Offtopic.
Regards.

Halo Integrated is designed by John Curl.
Didn't Noticed the OP's Original Query Which is not about various Amplifier choices. Sorry for being Offtopic.
Regards.

Yes, I'm the guilty one. Let's stick to the OP's topic. I'll start a separate thread on the amp choices if required.

Sorry about that!

These amps came into my radar when I was researching an SS integrated amplifier to replace my 300b tube mono-blocks and it was raved about by a Polish audiophile site.

And then coincidentally a few weeks later, a thread on the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 made it the latest craze on Audiogon, and it seems like some lifelong audiophiles who were tube-fanatics are happy converts.

This does everything DAC, preamp, amp, room correction in one box and apparently beats many separates. It would lovely if the hype was true.

I got tempted and am putting on hold my ideas of purchasing an SS class A integrated and getting an in-house demo of Lyngdorf 2170 next week.

Anyone here who has heard a Lyngdorf?

Tube amps ( especially the single ended versions )and their match with high efficiency speakers is a very custom approach done with a certain goal in mind. Hence replacing a tube amp with an ss amp in a system that is already in synergy needs to be done very carefully. It can make or break a system. If you can post your system specifics here and talk about what you are missing, people with experience with such systems could chip in. That would make the conversation meaningful.

Tube amps ( especially the single ended versions )and their match with high efficiency speakers is a very custom approach done with a certain goal in mind. Hence replacing a tube amp with an ss amp in a system that is already in synergy needs to be done very carefully. It can make or break a system. If you can post your system specifics here and talk about what you are missing, people with experience with such systems could chip in. That would make the conversation meaningful.

Very true.
What I realised was that the path I was pursuing with SET amps and HE speakers was not working out for my current living conditions which is a living room system in 2BHK home in Mumbai.
To get this right, it is essential to have a dedicated room and dedicated listening time, which are not luxuries I have currently.
Someday I will get back on the bandwagon of SET amps and preamp, but for now, SS and RC seem to be the way to go.

Just to bring a closure to this thread and report back since I last talked about moving from 300b SET amps to class D.

@square_wave , @rbalagopalan , you were right.

My high-efficiency speakers did not mate quite well with the Lyngdorf 3400. So my downgrading to a single box idea went for a toss.

So I did the next best thing. I use the Lyngdorf for room correction, streamer, source, preamp and feed it to my 300b SET amps. Its magic!!!

This is the best my system has ever sounded. I get the best of SET, and the best of SS (amazing deep bass).
Quite thrilled about the results.

Just to bring a closure to this thread and report back since I last talked about moving from 300b SET amps to class D.

@square_wave , @rbalagopalan , you were right.

My high-efficiency speakers did not mate quite well with the Lyngdorf 3400. So my downgrading to a single box idea went for a toss.

So I did the next best thing. I use the Lyngdorf for room correction, streamer, source, preamp and feed it to my 300b SET amps. Its magic!!!

This is the best my system has ever sounded. I get the best of SET, and the best of SS (amazing deep bass).
Quite thrilled about the results.

@essrand Great to hear this. Thanks a lot for following up and posting this. Quite a clever approach there as well ! Also, a good case is built for only buying the preamp with room correction from lyngdorf and mating it to a power amp of your choice :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back