LYRITA 6C33CB SET vs CADENCE VA 1

kamal!

somehow i caught this thread only today. but really glad to hear you up and about after a long long hiatus! :) i do not take issue with your statement. when i first ordered the SET and viren told me about the tubes i had to do research on them to find out more and i found that among all DHT tubes, they have the best reputation for musicality and seduction. i posted the following quote by lynn olson somewhere else and i repeat it, with liberty here cos of a bad memory. it went something like this "2A3 tubes are like a glass of champange, effortlessly allowing musical detail to bubble to the surface" and i do recommend the 2A3 as a very musical tube over others. the 2A3 also scores big cos its got good bass control too. (of course relatively speaking comparing tubes eg the 300B which is supposed to have good midrange but loose bass).

however :D :p just wait till viren modifies the amp for the vt52s (a special version of the 45 tube) he has and then you can decide which is better ;)

regards

Thanks for the interesting information, Stevie. In reading up a bit about the vt52s there seems to be an air of mystique around the tube. Have you heard the tube in action? If so, what are your thoughts vis a vis the 2A3C tubes?

Hi Guys,
Sorry to all the hard core audiophiles and the Mod for continuation on tennis but......
Roddick is a vastly improved player. He is moving better which is of paramount importance and is hence in a better position to execute. Naturally his serve still remains potent and just maybe in 2010 he may fulfill the promise he showed when he first burst onto the scene.
He played the match of his life against Roger and i guess fedex was lucky. Normally federer has a superb 'read' on his serve and gets his racquet to more balls as compared to the other guys Rod plays. Some players have a mental block against a particular opponent and i truly cant see how he will beat Roger.
I hope i dont have to eat my words in less than a fortnight!!!!!!!
Rgds

Hi Guys,
Sorry to all the hard core audiophiles and the Mod for continuation on tennis but......
Roddick is a vastly improved player. He is moving better which is of paramount importance and is hence in a better position to execute. Naturally his serve still remains potent and just maybe in 2010 he may fulfill the promise he showed when he first burst onto the scene.
He played the match of his life against Roger and i guess fedex was lucky. Normally federer has a superb 'read' on his serve and gets his racquet to more balls as compared to the other guys Rod plays. Some players have a mental block against a particular opponent and i truly cant see how he will beat Roger.
I hope i dont have to eat my words in less than a fortnight!!!!!!!
Rgds

Pardon me for continuing on tennis, Dinyaar, but this was too interesting to pass up.

What do you refer to as 'read' on his serve? Are you referring to Federer's ability to place his serves with more precision than most? Or is that something else I have no clue about?:)

Talking of mental blocks, if Federer can get out of his rut against Nadal, Roddick should be able to get out any mental blocks against Federer.

Personally I dislike Roddick's argumentative behaviour on court and peevish displays of anger. In a way the Wimbledon final was even more memorable because of the lack of any such overt displays from both players.

Hi Vortex,
Roddick has a great serve. He can vary the pace, the kick (take pace off and go over the ball to get bounce) or impart some slice occsionally to take the ball further away from the opponenet in the deuce court. Apart from this he is also 'deciding' which corner of the box he should go (keeping the SAME ball toss)
The receiver does not know which corner he will go to but some players have a superb 'read' on a particular server or servers. That way Roddick get far less free points. There is a bit of guess work involved when u play a big server and if u are smart u will pick subtle variations to be ready to receive the serve. If u wait till u are certain the serve is definately past u at that level.
BTW Roddick has a superb sense of humour. He too has mellowed from the brash american teenager. Another interesting thing i read in big Macs book was that he was looking for an argument when things were going against him. It seemed to 'lift' him, maybe Roddick is similar.
Rgds

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting information, Stevie. In reading up a bit about the vt52s there seems to be an air of mystique around the tube. Have you heard the tube in action? If so, what are your thoughts vis a vis the 2A3C tubes?

hi vortex,

no have not heard the tube. was talking to viren once about the 45s and he mentioned he had a pair of those tubes for which he'd have to modify the amp, the heater voltage. they're supposed to sound better than the normal 45s. personally am saving up for a pair of emission labs 45s everybody says is the 45 tube. the 2A3C shuguang tubes have good reviews from users online. viren says this it sounds good cos its a single plate tube compared to double plate tubes of other brands. the only other single plate tube is the elusive rca single plate which can go to 50 grand per pair :D viren has tried the shuguang against other tubes he has and prefers the shuguang. i'd trust this judgement cos i've always been steered in the right direction in my discussions with him and my tastes mirror his, which is why i guess i like his products.

to sort of answer the question of the 45 versus the 2A3 tube, the 2A3 is like an eloquent speaker speaking sweetly, the 45 is like a sharp mind that gets right to the heart of the matter. the 2A3 throws a bigger soundstage, tehe 45a smaller but more sharply defined one. you'd really have to read many reviews to get a thorough feel of what each tube is capable of. i did so and spent many months, and my expectations were completely fulfilled and exceeded :)

i do pop the 2A3 tube in now and then and also swap tubes on the phonostage for a different mood. currently am enjoying a GZ34 rectifier in the phonostage, earlier had the 5Z4G.

regards

I am a huge Senna fan and can't stand Schumacher, but I am very curious to know your theory on how schumacher was responsible for Senna's death. Or is it because Schumacher was behind Senna at Tamburello and pushing him?

There was definitely something fishy about Senna's death. That car went straight into the wall, there was not even an 'attempt' to turn. Personally I have a certain team principal in mind when I think of people who could have been responsible for Senna's death.

if i can recall correctly, schumacher and his team tried all sorts of tricks to gain an illegal advantage - from running with excessively worn out wooden planks (benneton) to using a modified version of (banned) skirts. it was common, in those days, to think of schumacher as a slimy sort of guy who would go to any length to win.

pretty sure that senna himself would have pushed the williams principals to get his car to perform better - and of course, they probably screwed it up during fabrication (apparently supervision of suspension modifications was sketchy). also senna recorded the third fastest lap during qualifying with a fully loaded car (IIRC), so modification had probably been carried out

of course, so many disparate variables culminated in senna's tragic death, but, in my mind it was that scheming schumacher who was directly responsible for the death of one of the most charismatic of all F1 racers of our time:sad:

hello vortex,
I guess at this level of tennis players have to read the serve. The services are so fast that you really don't have time to move after seeing the ball which happens most of the time when novices like us play tennis. Its more like a batsman has to read bowlers finger movement to know what he is going to bowl. Poor Kamal. I feel sorry for him he might be wondering why did he mention the name of two tennis players at the end of his wonderful write up.:D
thnaks.

poor guys would be scratching their heads in wonder if they knew they were being discussed on a hifi forum! :D :p

Hi Vortex,
Roddick has a great serve. He can vary the pace, the kick (take pace off and go over the ball to get bounce) or impart some slice occsionally to take the ball further away from the opponenet in the deuce court. Apart from this he is also 'deciding' which corner of the box he should go (keeping the SAME ball toss)
The receiver does not know which corner he will go to but some players have a superb 'read' on a particular server or servers. That way Roddick get far less free points. There is a bit of guess work involved when u play a big server and if u are smart u will pick subtle variations to be ready to receive the serve. If u wait till u are certain the serve is definately past u at that level.
BTW Roddick has a superb sense of humour. He too has mellowed from the brash american teenager. Another interesting thing i read in big Macs book was that he was looking for an argument when things were going against him. It seemed to 'lift' him, maybe Roddick is similar.
Rgds

Thanks Dinyaar and I agree with the points you make.

I actually thought that Roddick had mellowed down from the brash American teenager when a few weeks back I read reports of him breaking a racquet on court! But I thought that the final was played in excellent spirit though.

As far as modern tennis serving goes, there is only one God in the pantheon, so to speak - Sampras. Federer is versatile. That is his middle name. For a man with so much talent, the amount of trouble he goes to in 'getting' the ball is amazing. It must be tempting to let go of hard points and try and slam winners. But he does not do that. Watching him and Nadal go at each other pretty much redefines my idea of human mobility and response speed:).

One small thing though - the reason why I am not as great a fan of Roddick's serve is because I feel that it does not give him a great chance to go down the line most of the time. He does great when serving to the body or going away from the receiver though. And anyway at his serve speed, he does not need too much accuracy. But if he were to start serving more down the line as well, I think that would be a very dangerous proposition!

You make tube rolling sound like so much fun Stevie, its like having something done that's near perfect yet promises something more with a little swap each time ... :)

Cheers

poor guys would be scratching their heads in wonder if they knew they were being discussed on a hifi forum! :D :p

ULP!!:eek::eek::eek:

hey stevieboy,

please edit your post quick and unquote me please.

how remiss of me, but i guess it was the sense of relief speaking:sad:

Last edited:
suri,

hey you disappeared on your thread. what's the scene with single drivers and the valve journey now for you? do post on your thread so we dont hijack kamal's thread :)

Last edited:
You make tube rolling sound like so much fun Stevie, its like having something done that's near perfect yet promises something more with a little swap each time ... :)

Cheers

well you asked fer it so here goes :p

yeah its tons of fun. sometimes it sounds like you have a new amp altogether, sometimes a particular characteristic of the sound gets tweaked and you have a new presentation style if i may call it that. and with quality original NOS tubes, you're in seventh sound heaven. it takes you back in time and you imagine a factory floor rolling out tubes with rows of people doing hand assembly on the delicate bits. its like being transported to a different era altogether, delightful old world charm and individuality shines through. its almost like the collective character of a nation is captured in its tubes sometimes. at least that's my imagination at work :) when i have the mullards on i imagine a warm english fireside with soft rugs on the floor, the fire blazing and a cup of hot chocolate and its raining outside. when i have the telefunkens in i can almost picture an ultra efficient german, letting nothing pass but capturing everything in teutonic solidness. the amperex bugle boys for some reason make me think of amsterdam and tulip fields and windmills and one of alistair maclean's novel that's partly set there, i think 'puppet on a chain'. that's how powerful in imagery tubes are for me :licklips:

regards

suri,

with all due respect that topic is dead, so lets not go there and offend members or invite repostes that rekindle the issue?

regards

edit: hey you disappeared on your thread. what's the scene with single drivers and the valve journey now for you? do post on your thread so we dont hijack kamal's thread :)

hi stevieboy,

please edit your post and unquote me.

regards

well you asked fer it so here goes :p

yeah its tons of fun. sometimes it sounds like you have a new amp altogether, sometimes a particular characteristic of the sound gets tweaked and you have a new presentation style if i may call it that. and with quality original NOS tubes, you're in seventh sound heaven. it takes you back in time and you imagine a factory floor rolling out tubes with rows of people doing hand assembly on the delicate bits. its like being transported to a different era altogether, delightful old world charm and individuality shines through. its almost like the collective character of a nation is captured in its tubes sometimes. at least that's my imagination at work :) when i have the mullards on i imagine a warm english fireside with soft rugs on the floor, the fire blazing and a cup of hot chocolate and its raining outside. when i have the telefunkens in i can almost picture an ultra efficient german, letting nothing pass but capturing everything in teutonic solidness. the amperex bugle boys for some reason make me think of amsterdam and tulip fields and windmills and one of alistair maclean's novel that's partly set there, i think 'puppet on a chain'. that's how powerful in imagery tubes are for me :licklips:

regards

Nicely put, Stevie. That right there conveys the romance that the lush sound ignites in you. :)

Why, oh why did I have to bring in Nadal/Fedex ?
Never again will I try to be poetic/eloquent !

Why, oh why did I have to bring in Nadal/Fedex ?
Never again will I try to be poetic/eloquent !

hi Kamal,

but your post was so helpful - especially for a person like me, seeking the truth about these things.

but are you implying that nadal is poetic and fedex is eloquent?:D

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back