lyrita audio tube phonostage

Believe me, a single driver coupled with Vinyl is heaven on earth ... !!! And our man's got a SET too in the mix!! You must be in seventh heaven :eek:hyeah: !!

I wonder how it would sound paired with digital redbook sound though since i only heard it on my Dad's vinyl setup. Stevie can you elaborate on the differences? Have you compared A/B ?

TIA

gobble you've lost me! by digital redbook do you mean the regular cd's? then i can post cos i've got a lot of the same albums on lps and cds... and yeah with a tube phono it's complete heaven! seriously considering getting an ipod, transferring all my cd music to it for casual listening and sacking my nad cd player and wadia dac! to save space for both tts :) cd playback sucks so bigtime compared to the same album on vinyl i cant listen to cd anymore now except when i'm doing something else and can't change the lp side. just so flat.

also what do you mean by paired with digital redbook? you mean SET paired with it or single driver paired with digital redbook?

if you want a slice of heaven drop in anytime! :) lemme know your music preference and i'll clean lp records accordingly.

regards

Hello Stevie

I meant Cd redbook format correct. And I meant CDP<>SET<>single Driver speakers comapred with Vinyl<>SET<> Single Driver Speakers correct.

Thank you for the invite, I'll be happy to drop in someday when you are free :)

Will PM you my number so we can sync.

Regards

Sorry my mistake above . I meant I was wondering if CDPs sound better with single driver or with the more common two-way speakers? and if you did a A/B comparison of both?

Are single driver speakers *always* better or do they synergize best with vinyl/SET combos? Thats the real question I had.

Regards

gobble,

this is going to be a tough one! i'll try to be as objective as i can.

a single driver is usually made of a cone that is very very responsive. mine are made of paper. imagine two things on a table, a feather and square piece of denim cloth. if you put your face close to them and exhale the feather will fly some distance, the square piece of denim might not even move. now if you blow a little, the feather will fly further and the denim piece might move a little or flap about. single drivers are like feathers, even the smallest signal is converted into sound cos the drivers are so responsive. speakers with cones made of heavy material take more power to produce sound. i found that while listening to cadence aritas, the amp had to driven at higher volume for the speaker to sound decent. at lower volumes it lost out on a lot. if i remember right the aritas have some sort of sandwich cone with nomex? and a lower sensitivity of 88 db or so. this is one part of the single driver charm, most of the signal flowing from the amp is translated into sound whereas in a conventional speaker if the driver is of a heavy material, you lose out on quite a bit of information.

second benefit is there's no crossover so no musical signal getting lost as heat in the crossover. also since no crossover no splitting of signal so a really nice 'whole' sound!

of course there are negatives too like cone resonances which are not damped cos of the light cone and other stuff but overall, a single driver tends to reproduce a lot of micro dynamics that make the music rich. its like a song in lossless format, 320kbps and 128kbps, sure the song is still there but you keep losing out on detail.

so to answer your question of whether single drivers are always better, well they're better making music come alive with the low level cues that are generally lost in two/three way designs. they sound more 'natural' than multiway designs where the sound seems to be split up. and that's why they're a perfect fit with a SET amp. a lot of people say there's magic in the first watt cos all the micro dynamics is encoded in that first watt. i dont really understand this too well but in my listening experience between solid state amps, tube push pull amps, a SET amp is far more natural and alive in its presentation with subtle ambient cues and micro details adding up to make the sound rich and full.

a single driver is a good match for a SET amp cos it can reproduce all the magic that a SET amp puts out. also since the single driver is of a higher efficiency, it can make do with the low wattage of the SET amp.

a SET amp is a good match for a single driver cos most of the low level important information it is putting out is not lost in a crossover but is reproduced as sound.

so regarding your other question of cd playback versus vinyl playback on a SET amp single driver combo, you get the type of sound i've detailed above with both. vinyl being natural and warm matches the combo perfectly. cd playback by itself i prefer on the combo compared to multiple driver systems cos although there's more extended treble and tighter bass, these systems for me simply dont have any 'soul'.

the last speaker i heard was the monitor audio bronzes before choosing the single driver. the bronzes had far more treble information but just didnt connect with me emotionally.

if you're the kind who listens to treble, mid bass, bass, midrange you're likely to not want the SET amp single driver combo. if on the other hand you're the kind of listener who wants the hear the soul of the artist, and not bother about traditional hi-fi attributes, a SET amp and single driver will generally make you far happier.

also the type of tubes in a SET amp make a difference. so you might prefer one type of SET amp over another.

regards

Hi Stevieboy,

Thanks for the unbiased objective review.

I started reading your post with some skepticism, but ended up agreeing with you at the end. My father's house had a single driver system, and I do agree that it had a kind of musicality that we miss on other designs;
though I might not want that to be the only system I own.

Thanks,
Sharad

you're welcome sharad. which single driver speakers did your dad have? very interesting and rare!!

skepticism's good! i read up a hell of a lot on single drivers and SET amps before trying them out. i was fortunate that viren offered a try and return policy. i find that if you're open about things you tend to learn a lot. for example i have a good, well at least by traditional standards its a high end belt drive tt but rajiv sparked off an interest in idler drives and from what i've read i have a strong feeling i'll love the sound. i was fortunate enough to run into a garrard 301 and am waiting to set that turntable up and see if what everyone says is true!

Now I wonder whether my single driver radio was better? After spending so much on avr+speakers and all.

I am not sure if "music" signals get lost as heat in crossover. But if efficiency/ sensivity is the issue, there are lot of multiway speakers out there that are quite high on efficiency, for example klipsch and Dali.

Now I wonder whether my single driver radio was better? After spending so much on avr+speakers and all.

I am not sure if "music" signals get lost as heat in crossover. But if efficiency/ sensivity is the issue, there are lot of multiway speakers out there that are quite high on efficiency, for example klipsch and Dali.

hi anm,

there's a huge sound difference between high efficiency multiple drivers and a single driver with no crossover. i have heard viren's push pull el84 tube amp with the single driver and the kef iq5s, kef iq9s, which are higher efficiency than the 5s and another bookshelf speaker retailed at koramangala behind the bda complex cant remember the name... all sounded very different. i think all factors influence the sound - number of drivers, type of driver (material), crossover, type of crossover.

the heat issue is addressed in the link i've posted.

as for the single driver radio well there's no absolute! if you liked the sound its better for you! if you didnt like the sound :)

regards

since single driver cuts out on both top and bottom, maybe more vocals in the system are what you are liking :)
How much did you pay for the speakers from lyrita?

hi anm,

the speakers are around 36 if i remember right. and its definitely not a 'vocal' speaker only its not like there's no treble! there's relatively less treble compared to multi-drivers you can check the specs at Lyrita Audio

regards

6moons audio reviews: Omega Super 3 & Skylan Stands

omegagrand6

Omega TS1 Single Driver Loudspeakers In Pearlescent Blue Arctic by A. Colin Flood

Unusual speaker makes beautiful music - Digital Life- msnbc.com

Single Driver Website

hi anm,

i've dug out some reviews. the first one i had read long back. it's good cos it mentions all the instruments that the frequency range of a typical single driver covers. he also has reviewed the speakers as a home theatre on the next page! sure will post pics once i get my data cable, speakers, SET amp, and phono amp.

All these years I never realized ( intellectually ) what a great setup my dad had built - a 1972 Garrard with a DIY single driver speaker to match. I would pull the speaker mesh to find only a single cone but never knew words like crossover then and the various related concepts I have learned on this forum in the last few months.

The sound of that setup is firmly embedded in my memory. Compared to todays digital setups, it was extraordinarily very musically involving and playing it was an exhilarating experience. I could connect very readily to what you mentioned about the treble in single vs multi-way. :)

I cannot replay the exact sound in my mind anymore, but t still when I imagine playing it (in my head) I feel a hint of the same emotions come back to me (Guess I am conditioned like Pavlov's dogs ) :licklips:

Sheesh to discover this 30 years later!! If I'd known I would never be able to get that sound back without spending precious $$$ I wouldn't have allowed him to dispose it off at trash value more than a decade back. :sad:

Now I will definitely audition single driver speakers closely when I decide to upgrade my speakers.

Cheers

since single driver cuts out on both top and bottom, maybe more vocals in the system are what you are liking :)
How much did you pay for the speakers from lyrita?

anm,

i need to correct my earlier post. you are indeed close. it is a good midrange speaker and vocals are included in this. so in a way you're right :) vocals, guitar, string instruments and a lot of other instruments fall into the range a single driver can reproduce comfortably.

regards

If I'd known I would never be able to get that sound back without spending precious $$$ I wouldn't have allowed him to dispose it off at trash value more than a decade back. :sad:

Now I will definitely audition single driver speakers closely when I decide to upgrade my speakers.

Cheers

gobble,

viren makes two speakers, the one i have and another one at around 26k. pretty affordable compared to normal multi-way speakers so :) it's still within reach!

one tip i'd share is to do an extended listening session before coming to a conclusion cos the absence of a dedicated tweeter makes it seem like a lot of 'detail' is not there which in reality is treble which you're missing. there's a difference.

regards

great! superb setup. Which TT is that?
do you have two (mono?) amps?
The pre-amp pic I saw on lyrita site had no visible tubes.

regards

gobble,

viren makes two speakers, the one i have and another one at around 26k. pretty affordable compared to normal multi-way speakers so :) it's still within reach!

one tip i'd share is to do an extended listening session before coming to a conclusion cos the absence of a dedicated tweeter makes it seem like a lot of 'detail' is not there which in reality is treble which you're missing. there's a difference.

regards
I've been nudging Viren to try adding a super tweeter to his Harmony One single driver speakers, on an experimental basis.
I guess I'll push him now!
If it works out well, it could be offered as an option...
Comments,Stevie?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back