lyrita audio tube phonostage

Hi Rajiv

At one point i was considering the Yamamoto A08 amp. It uses the 45 tubes. The EML 45 is a killer. I heard the RCA and some other NOS brand, do not remember which one. Nothing even comes close to the EMLs. Boy, they operate in a different league. They cost a bomb, though. Close to 400 Euros for a pair but come with a 2000 hr guarantee.

Hi Prem,

Ah, the EML45's.

I have been wanting to try a pair for some time,but the price is what is making me hesitate .

How would you rate the Yamamoto A08 with 45's to your present amps with 845's? Both tubes are at either end of the spectrum power wise,but sonicaly what are the diferences?

Would love to hear of your listening experiences to different triode output tubes.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv and Steven,

You guys are going crazy with all this valve swapping. Even I haven't experimented this much. I do have a pair of Hytron VT-52s (enhanced 45s) which are waiting to be turned on. The only problem is that they require a higher heater voltage, so I will have to swap heater transformers too.

I also would really like to hear the Yamamoto A08, to learn what all the fuss is about!

Regards,
Viren

Hi Rajiv

I do not have the Dehavilland 845 monoblocs anymore. Did not enjoy them much with the Rethms. When i was considering tube amps, Yamamoto was among the shortlisted amps along with Audionote. I went with the Dehavillands because i thought they would be more universal because of its higher power rating. I was very unsure about a 2 watter which is what the Yamamoto is. Personally i like the 45s best. Its the cleanest, clearest, most transparent sounding of the lot. I have not heard 2A3 amps. So cannot comment. The 300B is lusher sounding. Not really my type. The 845s sound big but simply do not have the finesse of the 45s. I think with single drivers 45 is the way to go if you want tubes.

I presently use the RWA Signature 30.2 integrated with my Rethm Saadhanas. Awesome match. It does almost everything tubes do. The only place where it slightly lags behind a tube amp is in the dimensionality. Textures and layering is same as a good tube amp. Add to this killer bass and zero noise. Definitely more resolving than a tube amp. According to me a great match for a Single Driver.

I believe the First Watt F5 with a good tube pre is also a killer with Single Drivers.

Of late i have been talking to Trafomatic Audio. Reasonably priced integrateds. About 1800 Euros for a 2A3 integrated with EML tubes. Build quality is outstanding. I am tempted but still a little unsure. Problem is once you hear EML tubes, there is no way under the sun you will like anything else. The EML tube typically need replacement once in 2 years. Thats what all users say. So you need to keep aside 400-500 Euros for replacement every 2 years. That makes me uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Hi Steven,

Do the 45's drive your speakers to adequate levels?

The only thing left to try are some Bendix 6900 tubes in place of the 5758's.

Boy are they crazy expensive.I will have to hit a jackpot to be able to afford those or just get lucky.

Regards
Rajiv

hi rajiv,

yup! more than adequate 1.5 watts of sheer heaven. i find the exact same thing as you're finding with the 45. tighter bass, clearer presentation, more instruments come to notice, one more thing is better treble. the bendix's are jackpot 5687 replacements hehe. i missed a good pair of silvertone 45A tubes that went for $135. would have been a good buy. let me know how the rca compares to the national union. i'm inclined to try out a 45A or a balloon whenever money allows next...

regards

The 845s sound big but simply do not have the finesse of the 45s. I think with single drivers 45 is the way to go if you want tubes.

hi prem,

its great to hear another soul feel the same way i do! i've heard two 845 amps and they sound big but more like bulldozers rather than nimble dancers with emotion. the 2A3 is better than the 845 and the 45 is better than the 2A3 i've found. have been toying with the idea of the eml mesh plates myself but price price price!!! :sad:

regards

Hi Rajiv and Steven,

You guys are going crazy with all this valve swapping. Even I haven't experimented this much. I do have a pair of Hytron VT-52s (enhanced 45s) which are waiting to be turned on. The only problem is that they require a higher heater voltage, so I will have to swap heater transformers too.

I also would really like to hear the Yamamoto A08, to learn what all the fuss is about!

Regards,
Viren

hi viren!

well really all this valve rolling at least in my case is cos your amps are so affordably priced i have money left over to experiment with different tubes. so you deserve a round of applause :clapping: the sound of the phono with the telefunkens (thanks to rajiv for pointing me in their direction, i was more enamoured with mullard!) and the SET with the 45 is going to be a very hard act to beat :) you should try a 45 or your hytron, its amazing! all the reviews that suggest a 45 is better than a 2A3 are true in what they say. for once :) its like changing the rectifiers from gz to 5V/5Z tubes.

regards

by the way those who wanted to listen to the phono+SET are welcome to drop in now. the tubes are in place. drop me a pm and let me know when you want to come over.

regards

Hi Stevieboy

The 845s are the only way to go if you have conventional 2 or 3 way speakers and want the SET sound. Thats the reason i purchased the Dehavillands because i was not sure if i would dig the Single Driver sound for long. But now i enjoy the Rethms sound and hence bye bye to the Dehavillands.

hi mahiruha,

i have connected a ground wire from tt to phonostage and from phonostage rear to front place screw. hum is pretty much of a non-issue now with the ecc83tubes. with the stock 5751 tubes you hear a hum, but only when the song ends. while the song is playing don't hear much. so if that's your only worry, don't worry! :) am not sure you need to connect the tt to the receiver? only phono ought to be sufficient cos its got a plug of its own? someone can clarify or you can check with viren himself.

regards

Hello Stevieboy,
thanks for the suggestion. This front plate screw you have mentioned is it something located in the front of phono preamp. Well my quest for phono preamp suffered a bit of blow as my doctor put me in the clinic to do some health checks. I must say accessing hifivision from hospital room is also exciting. Thanks to laptop and reliance net connect.:clapping:
thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hi,

I have totally eliminated the hum in the Lyrita Phono Stage by increasing the value of the filter caps that come after the choke.

The hum with the standard caps is audible only in between tracks,it is not audilble when the music is playing,and only with the 5751 tubes.With the ECC83's there is no hum.

The caps supplied by Viren are 22Mfd Black Gates,I added 100 Mfd Black Gates in parallel to the existing caps.

100Mfd may be overkill but that is what I had on hand.50Mfd or another 22 Mfd in parallel should be adequate .

Now even with the 5751 tubes and the volume at 3 O'clock there is no hum.

Regards
Rajiv

Hello Rajiv,
I appreciate your answer. but honestly I didn't understand a bit what you are talking about. What you have done is it easily doable for a person like who doesn't have any background in electronics.Is it something Viren can do before shipping the pre amp?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hi Mahiruha,

If you can do basic soldering then you should be able to do it yourself.

However, if you are getting the amp from Viren then it would be better for him to do it.

You can ask him to increase the value of the power supply caps and also run the wire from the top plate screw to the ground post internally .

Regards
Rajiv

hi rajiv,

listened to cds over the weekend and boy the 45 tube is a revelation. when i moved from the 15 watt el84 to the 2A3 SET amp the SET was more dynamic and sounded louder. now, the 1.5 watt 45 tube sounds louder than the 2A3! i'm guessing it's cos of the dynamics. my critical test is iron maiden number of the beast. with the 2A3 SET this was one of the few albums i felt the need for more power and punch. with the 45 i actually turn the volume lower and its punchier. guitars have more crunch and bite, the bass is tight, more articulate and it starts and stops much faster than the 2A3 and there's more treble. far more details are apparent and its also far easier to follow individual instruments/threads of music. the soundstage is a little smaller than the 2A3 but a 45A tube with the bigger envelope ought to rectify that.

so now i no longer have a 2A3 SET, i have a 45 SET! out of all the tube types i've heard i think 45 is right up there at the top. most people and reviews put the 45 up there and i find this judgement very true. el 34s, kt88s, el84s, 845s, 2A3s dont come anywhere close to the magic of a 45.

by the way is your tungsol or rca an engraved base? one seller told me that engraved bases were better.

regards

Hi Steven,

My RCA and NU 45's are not engraved bases.

I am attaching a mail I received from the person I bought the 45's from.

Hello Rajiv,
The ST 45's are all very similar in construction. The basic differences are mostly limited to the shape of the top mica plate. Of course, the older the tubes have engraved bases and the later tubes have silk screen printing on the base, but I can't imagine how that could effect sound quality. If I were to choose between Ken Rad and RCA I'd go with RCA.

I still haven't had time to get through my old globes, but I'm hoping to do some of that today.

Thanks for your interest.
Tyler

Regards
Rajiv

hi rajiv,

this seller jsautter on audiogon mentioned it. didnt say why. i dunno, maybe earlier production tubes were better than latter day ones? realm of speculation i guess unless one buys two tubes of same brand printed and engraved. just checked ebay today tons of 45s popped up this week for sale. philco, ge, rca, nu. is yours rca cunningham or rca radiotron. wondering what the difference between the two would be. or just made by rca for cunningham and radiotron?

regards

edit: checked. both cunningham and radiotron are same manufacturer different label for cunningham tube co.

Last edited:
Hi

I have a diyhifisupply Joplin amp which can use 300B, 45 and 2A3 in DHT p-p, using two pairs of these per channel( Im currently running Sovtek 2A3s, giving me 9wpc in Class A), with some minor mods. I'm interested in trying out the 45s if they don't cost too much? Did you get them locally or from the US? 300Bs are a bit too pricey for me!

>Slightly off topic but I received my pair of 45 triodes yesterday and have been >listening to them in the 2A3 amp.Initial impressions are very favourable.
>The amp with the 45's is rated at 1.5 watts RMS but I do not find the reduction in power to be a constraint.

Regards
Rajiv[/QUOTE]

hi george,

got my rca's on ebay. 75$ though average price is around 130$ cos the seller was not a regular 'seller' but an individual who was disposing of his collection.

regards

hi rajiv,

yup read that sorry ought to have posted forgot. did you receive your rcas? do post a review of how they sound compared to the nu.

regards

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back