Lyrita Audio's New 845 SET

viren bakhshi

Lyrita Audio has just brought out another amplifier in its range of single ended tube amps - the 845 SET. This is an integrated stereo amplifier, using a single 845 output tube per channel, with a power output of 15 watts/channel.

Why build another 15 watt amp? Well, the 845 tube enjoys an enormous reputation - I was curious to hear it for myself. Then there were customer pressures, specifically from "heliumflight"! He stubbornly hangs on to his vintage B&W speakers, of average sensitivity. The Lyrita 2A3 SET that he has was being driven to distraction, er distortion, trying to play music through these speakers! And "heliumflight" would have none other than the directly heated triode sound. There was no choice left but to build the 845 SET amp!

Frankly, I am not in the power game. You can get more power out of the 845, if you operate it to its limits. I prefer to run the tube very conservatively, to prolong its life, and to get a better measure of its sound. For me, 15 watts of SET power, with the right speakers, is more than enough in a domestic setup.

So, what does the Lyrita 845 SET add up to. It's a three stage design - the input voltage gain stage is handled by the 5687 tube, RC coupled to the driver stage using the 6V6 tube in triode mode, transformer coupled to the output 845 tube. The 6V6 provides the high current necessary to drive the 845, the interstage transformer provides the right impedance coupling to allow the 845 to run even into A2 mode on peaks. In my view, the interstage transformer is the best way to couple to the 845, and also allows the use of a fixed bias to the tube.

The power supply is beefy, choke filtered. Only tube rectification is used. And, the 845 runs on AC heater voltage. And, no global feedback is used.

Specifications:
Power output 15 watts into 8 ohms
Response 40 HZ to 20 kHz

Tubes
Input 5687 NOS
Driver 6V6 RCA
Output 845 Shuguang
Rectifier 5V4G x 2 parallel
Rectifier 5W4

Regards,
Viren

Viren congrats on another addition to the lineup! :)
Any indication of price for this guy?

Hope you are keeping well Viren ji. It was a pleasurable and memorable experience having you over at my place. Happy audio ventures...

Hi Viren, congratulations ..its a nice product to augment your lineup !

Very interesting news for low senstivity speaker owners. Expect photos and price when will it avail for ours. Thanks

Congrats Viren,

A nice new option in the SET range for those seeking more power. Now if someone in Bangalore bought it so I could hear it... :)

regards
steve

Looks awesome! Nice job Viren. Wish I could audition it - hard to do so in Hyd. unless someone from here purchases it. Also would appreciate pricing and more detailed specs. Any plans for a power amplifier?
Cheers
Sid

Congratulations ! Virensir

And, no global feedback is used.
A noob question to seek knowledge :eek: :eek:
Comparatively since this amp has more power, can one include a "little feedback" option (a switch or something :confused:) to reduce distortion.
I read that feedback reduces the gain but with a switch one can anytime switch back to no feedback design.
Thanks.

Congratulations Viren!
I sincerely wish that the new 845 Set becomes a 'bestseller' and a benchmark for sensibly made and sensibly priced tube amps.

Nice going! You mentioned the earlier setup was experiencing some distortion due to speaker load. Can you enlighten us about the SQ was affected when so? Did it sound overdriven like a guitar amp at the peaks or was it an output transformer saturation with absence of low freq and somewhat tizzy mids and highs when power demands were high? What are the sonics like for an overdriven 845?

As a newbie attempting to understand tubes I am plain curious. :)

Cheers

Hi Viren,
congratulation for making this product. Good to have another high power variant SET amp from Lyrita. As you know my preferences towards mullrd tubes is it possible to add any mullard NOS tube in this amp?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hello Virenji
Congrats on the new amp

One thing I would like to ask, why did not Helium consider the 6C33C SET? It has the same power as the 845 SET. Or was it that Helium only wanted the 845 tubes?

Hello Virenji
Congrats on the new amp

One thing I would like to ask, why did not Helium consider the 6C33C SET? It has the same power as the 845 SET. Or was it that Helium only wanted the 845 tubes?

Hi rikhav,

I've heard many many amps (cheap to very expensive) SS/ push pull/ SET and, I experienced magic with single ended triode amps.

--
helium

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back