Lyrita Experience and some existential questions

Hi Steven,

Yes I got the RCA's a few weeks ago,but I have been busy travelling,house guests etc.so have not had time to listen to them for long.

Initial impressions from the short listening sessions is that the RCA's are slightly more laid back than the NU.

I should be free from next week, and will be able to do the comparisions . I will mail you my impressions.Also, Vinod David is due to visit and listen to the system I will swap the tubes and he can also chime in with his opinion.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv:

So, do PM or mail me the dates for my audition. Am really excited about my first listening with the tubes. I have also promised Rajiv that i will bring my CA 640C V2 cdp for the listen.

Hi all,

I am also an Lyrita Fan being converted the first day I went to audition them. I listen several genres of music including instrumental, regional, run of the mill songs, more so as per my tastes which varies from eagles, pink floyd, MJ amongst others. From the day one I was impressed with the music the system churned out but on the condition that the sources were good recordings otherwise there is a noticeable difference. I settled on this system since it has a very open sound and costs are reasonable compared to others.

I have not heard the SET's that Viren is making these days, once I listen to them will I be able to venture an opinion. For me I have the preamp, reference amps and harmony one's. By no means these are the ultimate but the tradeoff for the amount of money spent seems worthwhile

Signing Off

thanks rajiv,

will await the comparison and vinod's post on his tube impressions. do make a new post on your impressions vinod! :)

regards

Hello Steven,
you mean to say that with 45 tubes in place you need to upgrade your Harmony 1 setup as well ??? Btw I was reading about the 6C33C russian tubes and found they were used in MIG 25 fighter jets. I am delighted to be having a piece of fighter jet in the house although for differet purpose.:yahoo:
Thanks.

The russians use tubes in fighter jets because unlike transistors they are immune to the effects of the EMI wave during a nuclear attack.

Regards

Dear Mahiruha,

A clarification on the selection of the Lyrita SET amp for you.

The size of the room, specifically its volume, determines the amount of amplifier power you need to achieve a perceived loudness. Even though the Lyrita Harmony One speakers are of fairly high sensitivity at 93 dB, the 3 watt 2A3 SET amp will have a hard time filling up your large room with adequate levels of sound. Especially since your listening position is about 20 feet away, you will tend to play music louder to get more of the direct sound to you. Most of what you will hear will be reflected sound at that position. For you, the 15 watt 6C33C SET is the much better option. The 6C33C SET amp is a wonderful sounding amp too. It will not disappoint you.

After using it for some time, you may be tempted to having a more immediate experience to your music listening. For that, a change in environment will be required, to a smaller room. Where you can sit, say, 10 feet from the speakers, with unfettered line of sight to the speakers. You will hear more direct sound from the speakers, with better detail, an open soundstage, and be able to immerse yourself in the music more.

At that point, if you so desire, you can listen to the 2A3 SET amp, and choose between the two amps. That will be purely a subjective decision. I will gladly exchange one amp for the other.

Regards,
Viren

you cant get better advice than this mahiruha. do post on your in room listening experience when you get the amp and the speakers. i can definitely say you've made a very good choice of system.

regards

Hello Viren,
thanks for your reply. Well I have all the faith in your suggestion. I am understanding that this snooker table is coming in the way between me and good music but that table is also too dear to me. I have no doubt in my mind that me , my table, the amp , the speakers we all will live happily in that room. Perhaps I might start building higher breaks with wonderful warm music playing from your amp in the back ground.
thanks,
Mahiruha.

@Steven : I will surely let you know my experience with that amp in my room.But again I am too devoid of technical terms. 5 things come to my mind that have wowed me till date.
1) Monalisa in louvre in paris
2) Pyramid in egypt
3) Tajmahal in agra
4) Pieta and ceiling of sistine chappel by Michelangelo in rome
5) Guernica by picasso in madrid

Lets see if this amp gonna be the 6th one.

Dear Ramanujam,

The existential questions have to be answered!

First, thanks for the kind words. You are welcome any number of times, to help make up your mind.

The immediate perception of music hinges on the vocal range, what we term basically as the midrange, and in which region almost 90% of music resides. We, as humans, are so well attuned to the voice, since we hear it all the time from our loved ones, and reaction to which is necessary for our instinctive survival. This helps us recognize easily the reproduction of voice in music systems as to whether it is natural and true-to-life.

The music system has to get this right, or else it is not worth it at all. Fortunately, this includes almost all of music. The system has to be transparent to the recording, for voice and acoustic music to sound natural. Once this is achieved, the system will not discriminate, and will play all music well.

There are two caveats here - recordings, and acoustic music. Music through acoustic instruments you can readily hear live, sometimes with no help from electronics. This music forms a ready reference to compare reproduced music with. If acoustic instruments come through naturally, with the full harmonic structure intact, the music system is doing its job well.

Recording quality is variable, and you will hear the variation through a good music system. However, the good system will still allow the music to flow through, and allow you to enjoy the music around the vagaries of the recording.

Often, the first listen to a good system is quite underwhelming. Nothing jumps out to grab your attention, no bass and treble to highlight the music. But, that is as it should be, because the good system presents everything in equal measure. It is on prolonged listening that you realize that you are listening to real music, in a most natural manner of presentation. As, in real life!

And you do listen to the music through a system. You change any one component, and you change the system. You have to listen and judge all over again. There is no way of short circuiting this, by reading reviews - you physically have to put the system together and listen to music through it.

How does this relate to your experiences? I do not presume to judge what you hear, because you hear what you hear. I hope it can help you resolve some of the questions in your mind. And, once you have become used to music through tube electronics, there's no way you'll go back to solid-state!

Regards,
Viren

I'll second the opinions about Viren-I got a chance to meet with him a couple of times when I visited Delhi last year.I was very impressed both with his general attitude-being a highly qualified guy, who has studied and worked in the US for many years his outlook is not like a small time trader.

He likes what he does, is very hospitable, genuinely enjoys meeting people, and most important has the kind of products( range, build quality) that one cannot get from anyone else in India. One can audition stuff in his living room-if one is wiling to go to Delhi. His T-L towers using Fostex drivers performed very well, and inspired me to make my own..

George

And i will "second" George's "secondment" ;)

Viren-ji once sent me a custom wound heavy power transformer for a tube amp project completely free. Even today when I listen to that amp, I think of this generosity and wish him happiness always. And the best part? We have never even spoken on phone to each other leave aside a face-to-face meeting ;)

Knowing a bit about tube stuff, I admire the design philosophy he brings to his products. Just count the number of transformers in his amps ! An similarly specked imported amp will cost a fortune.

It would also be interesting for me to spend some time with a Lyrita system in Mumbai. I dont expect to be in Delhi for a month now and would like to refresh my memory in between in Mumbai. Any Mumbai forum members with Lyrita and can i invite myself?

Regards

Ram

Hi Viren

Now that there is a lot more awareness about high sensitivity speaker systems and valve amps, why not consider asking a few of your customers ( volunteers, of course) to provide auditions to interested potential buyers at different locations nationwide? Given that purchasing power is rapidly increasing, an audtion is something that many prospective buyers will definitely result in them becoming actual buyers.

Sh.aks07 and I being hardcore diyers, can only spread the gospel among our tribe :lol:, but there will be many others out there who may not want to join our tribe..

BTW, you did mention once that you have plans to visit Bangalore sometime in the future.

Cheers

George

Hi All,

Seeing the huge response I would like to give all an oppurtunity to listen to Lyrita Equiment at my place. I am in Gurgaon

Hi,

Viren also does custom work,and builds amps to customer specs.
Some pictures of his custom made SE EL84 amp.using Hashimoto Transformers.

rearel84seamplifier.jpg
[/IMG]

frontel84seamplifier.jpg
[/IMG]

insideel84seamplifier.jpg
[/IMG]

Members are welcome to audition the Lyrita products at my home in Chennai .

Regards
Rajiv

Hello Rajiv,
thanks for those nice pictures. When you say custom made works can be done according to customer specs. How does it work really ? You tell him you want certain singers to sound in a certain way accordingly he mix and matches components or you just give him a list of electronic comoponents which he assembles to function as an amp. sorry for sounding a bit stupid but I am bit confused?
Thanks.

Hi,

Viren also does custom work,and builds amps to customer specs.
Some pictures of his custom made SE EL84 amp.using Hashimoto Transformers.
Superb. Anybody planning to DIY a tube amp should study this layout carefully. Just look at the placement of the ironware and the logical lines the internal wiring follows.

BTW is the output stage operating on fixed bias? I can't see a bypass capacitor for the EL84 cathode in the pic.

Thanks for posting these pics Rajiv.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back