Lyrita Experience and some existential questions

Hi aks,

Yes, that amp uses fixed bias for the EL84s in single-ended mode. There's a separate winding in the power transformer for the bias voltage, which is regulated by a zener.

The design is my own. The output stage can be switched between pentode and triode mode - the switch at the back by the input connectors does that. Triode mode uses no overall feedback; pentode mode has low internal loop feedback from output tube to input tube.

Hi Mahiruha,

Customization could be the use of high quality parts that the customer is keen on using. In this case, it's the highly regarded Hashimoto output transformers, that the customer imported himself.

Or, customization could be an entirely new design for a specific use. I've designed a tube microphone preamp for a studio; and am currently doing a high power guitar amplifier for a friend.

As they say, variety adds spice!

Regards,
Viren

Dear Grubyhalo and marisilians

The album is Violin Legends. It has pieces of Subramaniam, Stephane Grappelli and Yehudi Menuhin. The cover also says Brandenburg Orchestra. This is a Sony Music title. Its available in two versions at different price points. This particular piece is a full ten minutes long. Worth its weight in gold, therefore these prices are inconsequential.

sorry, off topic but needed to check. which of the u/m is the album, if any?

0724354512025-lf.jpg

or

CD0100437.jpg

LEGENDS FOREVER - DR L. SUBRAMANIAM, YEHUDI MENHUIN & STEPHEN GRAPELLI

Its the second one. The same album has been released under two names, Violin Legends and Legends forever. Legends forever is more expensive.

On the same note, also look out for an album called West meets East. This is a compilation of three recordings of Yehudi Menuhin and Ravishankar. The combination of violin and sitar is mesmerising. The songs are also pure Indian, and therefore have their own charm.

Its the second one. The same album has been released under two names, Violin Legends and Legends forever. Legends forever is more expensive.

On the same note, also look out for an album called West meets East. This is a compilation of three recordings of Yehudi Menuhin and Ravishankar. The combination of violin and sitar is mesmerising. The songs are also pure Indian, and therefore have their own charm.

have got this on lp :)

An update.

Yesterday, thevortex and I visited Rajiv in Chennai to listen to his setup. It was prompted by my desire to get my brother to listen to Lyrita (since he almost exclusively listens to Carnatic Classical) and thevortex's valve amp search.

Thevortex brought along his PC and EPOS 12.2 speakers.

Over three hours, we tried out some interesting combinations a) Rajiv's set up with 45 tubes, b) same setup with 2A3 tubes, c) PC with Cplay, Lyrita amp with 2A3 tubes, and EPOS speakers, d) a few songs off the CD ROM of the pc with 2A3 tubes and the EPOS speakers. Many interesting observations, most vivid being the difference in experience with Vinly and digital source for Take Five.

Thevortex is planning to write about this experience in his thread on Valve Amplifiers and i will wait for his observations. Once he does that, i will put forward a few of my queries on my options as well.

Thanks to Rajiv for being a great host.

By and large we are are a fairly friendly and hospitable fraternity:lol: The threads on the chit chat section-Food joints, Kerala food, etc all testify to that I think!

George

>Thanks to Rajiv for being a great host.

I have added my views at http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/5814-lyrita-tube-amplifier.html

My approach, at this point of time (and it has been changing every two weeks or so) is as follows: (also captured in the earlier comment link)

) While i liked the valve single driver combination for vocals, i dont predominantly listen to them. I liked the extra sweetness EPOS brought into this equation. So, a single driver does not seem to be the best bet for me.

2) The Lyrita sounded great and one option for me is to look at the higher powered setup that Viren makes and combine it with a high sensitivity multiple driver (Is dali Ikon 6 or Ikon 2 the right direction?).

3) Since i also listen to other genre, look at a simple SS amp for those sessions.

Right now there are four active threads on Lyrita. I think it will be useful to continue the discussions in thevortex's thread http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/5646-valve-amplifiers-9.html for the same sake of simplicity, which also discusses other issues related to tube amps. Apologies vortex for piling on again. The comparisons by Kamal http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/5815-lyrita-6c33cb-set-vs-cadence-va-1-a.html and anm are also useful reads on this topic.

Regards

Hi Ram,

Multiple driver speaker with valve amp is not uncommon. The speaker should have high sensitivity, But there are few speakers with moderate sensitivity but easily drivable with valve amp. ProAc, Usher, EPos are among them as far as I know.

Although single drivers are perfect match with valve amp but I am afraid that in single driver one looses the punch. Sometimes the punch is also important. And for those songs if there is a SS amp then it becomes more versatile.

So Ram your thinking is in right direction, at least I feel the same.

I still have not come out of the shock of listening to the 3 watt 2A3C powered amp driving my EPOS speakers to satisfaction. As I gather it, not many here gave it too much of a chance! So, I was prepared to get disappointed, almost.:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back