Lyrita's Mono Power amps and Line Preamp

Rajiv,

Yeah thats true... June onwards sounds good. My amps should be up to current spec by then. gotta plan a trip down that side too...

Regards

Torque ain't cheap but it sure knocks yer socks off

Rajiv,

A pair of majestic globes went for $137 early today morning. :) not very high testing but not bad either anyways all depends on how he set up the tester so...

Regards

Torque ain't cheap but it sure knocks yer socks off

Believe you me a couple of people who own the highly regarded Ayon amps. have ordered the Lyrita amps. after side by side comparisions.
Rajiv
Hi
Had a peek at Virens monoblocks (GM70) with the DHT pre during a visit to Delhi recently .
Lyrita monos matched very well with the Amity giving a warm but palpable sound signature.
After coming back home, found my system quite thin sounding though the bass was noticeably tighter.
Am new to valves and my only earlier experience was a short demo at ARN with Ayon Orion which was tested with the Usher mini dancers ( my speakers.)
The Ayon sounded a bit like my smooth sounding solid state denon, but of course was decidedly superior and I did not notice any drivability issues with the Dancer.
Would the Lyrita monoblocks be able to drive the Usher mini dancers as well?
Am looking for inputs for suitable valve amplification for the dancers.
Regards and cheers

GM monoblocks should be able to drive the ushers, the denon pma2000 was a bad choice to begin with.
Thanks Cor.
Though I had the Denon before I had the Ushers, But later, I had the opportunity to hear the usher MD1 with all kinds of solid state amps, the Denon did not suffer at all by comparison. In fact, the Usher MD1 has a slightly top lumped sound signature due to their tweeter ( the mini dancer2 does not suffer from this , which I also have heard extensively) with matches well with the smooth sounding denon and the denon's woofer control is also fairly adequate.

Any other tube amplifier in the lyrita mono block/ayon orion range that you guys can think of?
cheers and regards

Considering tube amps can be somewhat...a little fragile (Risk of spares and repairs for imported models), and the amazing passionate service Virenji has a record of, I would personally go with lyrita over the others. He knows his products inside out and if ever needed you could probably request modifications.

Atleast that's my view, you are free to make your own decision =D

I wish people take certain facts into consideration before recommending.

IMO, the Usher MD1 with a 7" woofer with 87 dB efficiency or the MD2 with two 7" woofers presenting a 4 ohm load would be too much for the SET amp in question.

I wish people take certain facts into consideration before recommending.

IMO, the Usher MD1 with a 7" woofer with 87 dB efficiency or the MD2 with two 7" woofers presenting a 4 ohm load would be too much for the SET amp in question.

I did take facts into consideration, the specs for the ushers are the following:

MD1
One dome tweeter
One mid-low woofer 7"
Sensitivity 87 dB @ 1 watt
Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response 38 Hz ~ 40 kHz
Power Handling 90 watts

I had once consulted with Virenji for my Jamo e875's which have the following specs and he suggested the GM70, I was going by that comparison. Here are the specs below

Jamo e875
One dome tweeter "
One mid woofer 6"
Two Low woofers 6"
Sensitivity 88 dB @ 1 watt
Impedance 6 ohms
Frequency Response 32 Hz ~ 20 kHz
Power Handling 150-220 watts

And here is what I was suggested by Virenji

I looked up specs on the Jamo speakers. Even though tube amplifiers are low powered, you may be able to get satisfying sound using either of these Lyrita amplifiers:

Lyrita Integre Two integrated amplifier (pushpull design, 10 watts/channel)
Lyrita GM70 SET integrated amplifier (single ended design, 20 watts/channel)

I would have bought the gm70 but it was 14k out of my budget so had to go with something else.
The Ushers are about the same if not more power efficient than these e875's which is why I feel the GM70 should be able to drive them. Best way to know is a home test.

Last edited:
Thanks Capt and Cor
Of course home test is the best way. But sadly I live in Chattisgarh which is quite a distance from Delhi and may have to decide on instinct,data and inputs.
The Usher MD1 curves can be found in this review-Usher Dancer Mini One
Cheers and regards
Himadri

Last edited:
Considering tube amps can be somewhat...a little fragile (Risk of spares and repairs for imported models), and the amazing passionate service Virenji has a record of, I would personally go with lyrita over the others. He knows his products inside out and if ever needed you could probably request modifications.

Atleast that's my view, you are free to make your own decision =D

I second that. Virenji's products are first rate and his service is amazing. You can request Virenji fora home demo to try out with your Ushers that might solve your problem. I am sure once you hear his amp, you wont let go of it. Best of Luck.
Abhijit

Last edited:
. I am sure once you hear his amp, you wont let go of it.
Abhijit
Thanks Abhijit.
Actually I have heard the monoblocks with the Amity speakers and DHT pre as indicated earlier in the thread. Although this was my first real exposure to tubes , I agree that the DHT pre+ DHT Monos + marantz CD+ Amity speakers is a real bargain in the sub 200k category especially due to the synergy and matching between the components and ability to play all kinds of music with aplomb keeping the tube sound signature intact.
cheers and regards

And they have arrived. One SET amp reborn as a power amp, one thoroughly overhauled phono, one spanking new DHT pre. Guess who's also got a 45 SET headphone amp and a DHT headphone amp too! :) Unfortunately with all the specific requests I loaded Viren with, the tubes for the pre got missed in the packing so a few more days... I must say it's an experience dealing with Viren every time. The amount of customization he does. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Also a big thanks to Rajiv for playing around and coming up with the tweaks that got incorporated in the phono and SET amp.

www.vinylnvalves.blogspot.in

Last edited:
Congrats stevieboy on your set.. Viren sir is always a delight to deal with. He remodelled my phone to accommodate mc and mm carts..
By the way I am a proud owner of 401 with a thoren arm made by emt.. . Njoying the garrard for now before modifying it...:D
Regards
Abhijit

And they have arrived. One SET amp reborn as a power amp, one thoroughly overhauled phono, one spanking new DHT pre. Guess who's also got a 45 SET headphone amp and a DHT headphone amp too! :) Unfortunately with all the specific requests I loaded Viren with, the tubes for the pre got missed in the packing so a few more days... I must say it's an experience dealing with Viren every time. The amount of customization he does. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Thats great news!! Congrats Steven, will drop by for a listen once you have the DHT tubes. And then, I will bother you (again) to bring them over to my place to try with the Altecs. TIA :).

Congrats stevieboy on your set.. Viren sir is always a delight to deal with. He remodelled my phone to accommodate mc and mm carts..
By the way I am a proud owner of 401 with a thoren arm made by emt.. . Njoying the garrard for now before modifying it...:D
Regards
Abhijit

Ah Abhijit, is it the long 12" dynamically balanced tonearm? Which cartridge are you using? Tubes and vinyl lovely combo eh? :)

Regards

www.vinylnvalves.blogspot.in

Ah Abhijit, is it the long 12" dynamically balanced tonearm? Which cartridge are you using? Tubes and vinyl lovely combo eh? :)

Regards

Vinyl 'n' Valves

Hi Stevie, i dont have any details of the tone arm, will post pics soon. I am using a HOMC cart made for project by ortofon the MC-1H cart. Did check the resonance frequency of the combo on th Hi-Fi test lp. it reonating at 13 Hz

Regards
Abhijit

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back