Lyrita's Mono Power amps and Line Preamp

Hi,

By the way I am a proud owner of 401 with a thoren arm made by emt.. . Njoying the garrard for now before modifying it...

Congratulations.:clapping:

BTW acording to Stefano EMT never made a Thorens arm.If your arm says EMT then you have an excellent EMT arm.:clapping:

Thorens BTD-12S/TP 14 vs EMT 929

If it is the EMT arm then you should try an Ortofon SPU or the EMT Tondose15 .Expensive cartridges magical sound.

Regards
Rajiv

And they have arrived. One SET amp reborn as a power amp, one thoroughly overhauled phono, one spanking new DHT pre. Guess who's also got a 45 SET headphone amp and a DHT headphone amp too! :) Unfortunately with all the specific requests I loaded Viren with, the tubes for the pre got missed in the packing so a few more days... I must say it's an experience dealing with Viren every time. The amount of customization he does. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Also a big thanks to Rajiv for playing around and coming up with the tweaks that got incorporated in the phono and SET amp.

Vinyl 'n' Valves

Whoa!!! That's a lot of changes.

BTW, which headphone do you use?

Whoa!!! That's a lot of changes.

BTW, which headphone do you use?

Hehe yup! :) Practically new with all the updates. As of now don't have headphones. It's a longer term option for later on for those times I can't play music loud say at night. Was looking at beyerdynamic dt 990 600 ohms or the grado 60i to start with

Regards

www.vinylnvalves.blogspot.in

Hehe yup! :) Practically new with all the updates. As of now don't have headphones. It's a longer term option for later on for those times I can't play music loud say at night. Was looking at beyerdynamic dt 990 600 ohms or the grado 60i to start with

Regards

Vinyl 'n' Valves

hmmm...massive overhaul eh? :eek:hyeah: now all that remains is me with a six-pack of beer :licklips:

BTW...try ortho headfones on your rig? I have a feeling u might like'em..

Been listening for a day now. Sounds a bit raw still, will take a little time to smoothen out. Early impressions are a far more fleshed out sound, far more enveloping. The ability to follow a bass drum is eerily lifelike can hear the pedal hitting a real material. Can hear that interaction happening. I can now understand what Rajiv was saying about being able to hear footstomps on one song. Instruments are more separate and decay beautifully. The biggest surprise is the 2A3 tube. Before the midrange was fantastic but the bass would overpower the balance. It sounds far better now not as unbalanced as it used to sound before. Mmmmmmmm will be listening to this tube more now thank god I did not dispose of it! Still have to listen to the 45 ST tubes.

Tried the headphone out. Both sound lovely! The SET amp though has a bit of hum not very distracting during songs but comes out in the silence between tracks. Gotta try a needle drop now.

Overall highly recommended to get the SET amp converted to a power amp and get the DHT as a pre. For some reason the DHT seems to make more of a difference in digital playback maybe cos the phono amp was there already doing a good job. And the biggest plus- tubes that cost 4$ each :)

Rajiv,

Did more listening last night. The 2A3 sounds big and upfront, bigger soundstage, but also still quite midrangey. It also sounded hard then I realized the GZ34 rectifier was in and I've always preferred the 5V4G rectifier with the 2A3, the combo is more airy and relaxed so will swap rectifiers and listen some more tonight. The sound while exciting also seemed in your face and I couldn't space out and just follow the emotion of the song. The details were constantly being thrust at me. The 45 globes were far more relaxed, even handed and balanced, more listenable for long durations. Let's see how the 2A3 sounds with the 5V4G now tonight...

I've got the following combos to try out again before coming to my preferred combo:
1. 2A3 with RCA 5V4G
2. 2A3 with RCA short fat bottle rectifier

3. Globe 45 with RCA 5V4G
4. Globe 45 with RCA short fat bottle rectifier

5. 45 ST with Philips GZ34
6. 45 ST with RCA 5V4G
7. 45 ST with RCA short fat bottle rectifier

Overall though, the 2A3 is far more listenable now than before for sure.

By the way what tubes did you roll in the DHT pre? You mentioned trying different combos before finding the existing one the best.

Regards

Hi,

By the way what tubes did you roll in the DHT pre? You mentioned trying different combos before finding the existing one the best.

Steven in the DHT pre the only tube you can play around with is the rectifier.

I tried the GZ34,GZ32,5V4G,GZ30 and 5U4G of different makes. All of them bring subtle changes to the sound,but the combination I prefer is the stock one with the Russian 5U4C rectifier.

Regards
Rajiv

Ah good to know that Rajiv. Good cheap tubes for a change. Am back to the 45 globes and the philips gz34. The 2a3 is more in the room but that extra highlighting tends to tire me out also. Even with the 5V4G rectifier. The globes are the tube to come back after a day at work and just relax. Silky smooth balanced fluid and easy on the ears. Can just drift off nodding your head in time or keeping time with your feet. The 2a3 keeps me awake and focused on individual sounds. It demands attention, a bit more etched. Will let the amps run in with this combo for a while now.

Regards

Since the GZ and 5V series rectifiers can be used in the preamp, was wondering if the preamp tube could be used in the other amps. So spoke to Viren today and the good news is that the preamp rectifier tube can also be used in the 2A3 power amp as well as the phonostage. That's one more tube to play around with now :licklips:

Rajiv do you have the Mullard GZ34 tube? Was wondering how it would compare with the Philips redbase GZ34 I currently have...

After a long hiatus, music is playing once again. The DHT preamp is back after circuit upgrades and transformer outputs. Listened through the headphone outputs of the 45 SET amp. The upgrades sure make a difference. Far more of instrument tone coming through. Drums sound more like skins now with lifelike tension of being struck, guitar can clearly make out the type of strings the instrument is strung with and other such delightful nuances.

Now to plug in the speakers and then find a good pair of headphones...

Reviving an old thread, would there be any sonical difference if i have to compare the DHT line pre with the Lync Pre? I learnt from the posts above that in DHT the rectifier tube is the only one that can be experimented with by rolling. What about the Lync?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back