Maharashtra Capital Region Meet?

kapvin

I guess the title is more representative than a Mumbai meet.

I've attended 2 such meets, and kudos to the organisers who put in blood sweat and their hard earned money upfront to organise the meet.

And then there is the heartburn of no-shows, not meeting the minimum pax number at the hotel and the organisers are often out of pocket.

Also the hall acoustics are not representative of how the system will sound like in a typical home.

Now, that got me thinking-- how about holding a meet in a venue representative of typical HFV owner home? (which for 99% of us - expect the silver spooned ones - is a flat)

Now as it happens, I am shifting house. By the 15th of October. And the place I am currently staying in, will be available for a few days after that, before the painting starts. There will be some furniture as well as a couple of ACs. And some shabby curtains which are acoustically identical to new curtains (;-))

So how about have a Min HFV meet here?

There can be 4 listening areas with a couch in each area

3 bedrooms - approx 100sq-ft; 125 sq-ft and 150sq-ft. -
1 L shaped living room approx 400-450 sq ft

Surfaces in each room allowing you to put set up the electronics. Functioning Kitchen with PNG and RO water. Hiranandani flats are pretty well insulated for sound. So you have to play really loud (100 dB+) for sound to travel from one room to another.(with both doors closed.

So here's the thought- We have a mini meet - with no downpayment cost.

I provide the venue, the electricity and the drinking water. I can also provide sources and amplification for at least 1 listening area. (obviously - all F.O.C)

based on who turns up - we can order food from any of the multiple takeaways in the locality (on a contributory basis). And provided we restrict volumes to reasonable levels during the afternoons, we can continue till as early and late as we like. (my neighbours are a pretty decent, tolerant lot -they've manfully lived through - late night action movies at really loud volumes)

Wanted to understand interest in something like this. There is a narrow window from the time that we shift out and when the painting starts - at most 2 weekends. Post that, it will not be possible - house repainting will start.

I have some further thoughts on this. but first, I'd like to see if there is any interest at all

Good idea. As the AV Max expo is not going to be held this week, there could be many takers for this meet this weekend atleast from my side. I am okay with any of the weekend Sunday - 6th, 13th. Do let me know.

Cheers,

Good initiative Kapil.
I will be very keen to attend, if it is on a Sunday.
Listening rooms seem to be more than sufficient for a mini meet.
Lets garner interests from other FMs and plan it out.

Hi Mubaikars!
Kapvin's suggested window is weekend of the Whathifi show (Oct 17-20).

Maybe I might join if the meet is during the second half of Oct.
Will need some advance notice for travel bookings.

Last edited:
so there is a bit of change is plan. (in a good way)

looks like the painting work start will be delayed so more weekends are available. Probably till after diwali.

I would be glad for any guidance and assistance in terms of how to go about it. Santy, Hemant, Denom, you guys are experts as this. if any of you can guide or take the lead on this.. I would be very happy.

@hari iyer... it would be after 12-13th weekend. We will be shifting over 9th -13th..

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Next weekend is the only window left. We could have done it over the weekend gone by, But I was busy mid week and could not give a heads up.

Probably the scraping work would have started in some rooms. but no work is allowed in my society on weekends so we could manage.

all those who are interested, please pm me.

Thanks Kapil
So 17th November, Sunday is the date right?

I am in. I feel anywhere between 10 to 15 is a good number for a mini meet.
Come on guys. Sign up soon!

Shall I assume the following are already in?
Hari Iyer
Santy
Spirovious
theCoolestone

Naturelover?

Hi Kapvin

what is the aim of this meet

is it
like minded people get together and discuss audio
and maybe casually listen to music

or is it serious music listening

for serious listening a lot of man hours go into setting up a room correctly
Only a handful know what they are really doing

others just end up fighting the room

what is the gear
what is the music

if its just gonna be AB testing
where one plays the same song and tries to flip channels and tries to distinguish

thats umm well ... useless

Many of us probably realize what some gear can do and what some cant
others are still finding that out
the What hi fi show was a great eye opener - or should i say ear opener for many

so again
what is the aim ?

I provide the venue, the electricity and the drinking water. I can also provide sources and amplification for at least 1 listening area. (obviously - all F.O.C)

based on who turns up - we can order food from any of the multiple takeaways in the locality (on a contributory basis).

I have some further thoughts on this. but first, I'd like to see if there is any interest at all

Sir,

Good Idea;

I would like to know :-

Date
Address
Time
Audio Gear - What is going to be got & heard - who will bring it ?

Are all persons welcome ?

Thanks,

Sir,

Good Idea;

I would like to know :-

Date
Address
Time
Audio Gear - What is going to be got & heard - who will bring it ?

Are all persons welcome ?

Thanks,

Sir,

this is for all active HFVisioners who are interested. (but even if it were a closed thing, you would always be welcome)

for the rest of the questions, please see my reply to magma in the next post.

Hi Kapvin

what is the aim of this meet

is it
like minded people get together and discuss audio
and maybe casually listen to music

or is it serious music listening

for serious listening a lot of man hours go into setting up a room correctly
Only a handful know what they are really doing

others just end up fighting the room

what is the gear
what is the music

if its just gonna be AB testing
where one plays the same song and tries to flip channels and tries to distinguish

thats umm well ... useless

Many of us probably realize what some gear can do and what some cant
others are still finding that out
the What hi fi show was a great eye opener - or should i say ear opener for many

so again
what is the aim ?

Dear Magma,

you asked excellent, very pertinent questions. And I am not going to answer any of them :-0

I refer you to to the original post. the thought is to have a get together without the huge costs involved in the previous such meets (which, AFAIK left the organisers out of pocket)

The Questions you asked, were the ones that I hoped would evolve and get addressed in the period since my first post. (it is only now that someone is actually asking, but thank you for doing that!)

While I had provided the venue, I had hoped that the choice of what to do would
evolve from suggestions and consensus.

I do have some suggestions, but they are completely non binding. - so here goes -

the premises are a semi furnished house - woodwork, some settees, coffee tables and curtains. the roomsize is not dissimilar to any typical mumbai flat. I thought that given that most people in Mumbai would be interested in Bookshelves, I thought that we could have a bookshelves focussed meet. agenda points could be

Understanding relative strengths of various bookshelves
placement based on type of bookshelf (what kind of BSC has been dialed in)

what can I provide:

Basic Amplification and a basic DAC. (maybe 2 amps depending on interest)
A calibrated measurement system to pick out FR, room modes, impulse response
A pair of DIY bookshelves, on which I hope to finish the crossover work by then.

what others could provide

Bookshelf speakers
amps
contacts of vendors dealers who would be willing to loan/demo bookshelves
the individual's personal room setup knowledge and perspective
of course this is just a set of thoughts, I would invite more ideas and comments on this.

PS - Magma - completely agree and understand about roomsetup. in my new house, i have a huge null at 30hz, which i am struggling to resolve. maybe I will pm you seperately.

Last edited:
Sir,

this is for all active HFVisioners who are interested. (but even if it were a closed thing, you would always be welcome)

for the rest of the questions, please see my reply to magma in the next post.

Sir,

Thanks;

However, I am still at a loss - I need to know :-

When ? [Date]
Where ? [Address]
Time ?

Please..
Shall appreciate.

:)

Sir,

Thanks;

However, I am still at a loss - I need to know :-

When ? [Date]
Where ? [Address]
Time ?

Please..
Shall appreciate.

:)

Sir,

Address is Hiranandani Estate, Thane
tentative date and time are 17th nov 11am onwards

this is contingent to enough members signing up and we have enoughequipment to make a meet worthwhile.

Back