Mains Power Cable for NAD 320BEE

rashmikant

anyone has experiance of Main Power Cord Supra LoRad with NAD 320BEE? it is possible to change power cord in NAD 320BEE?

any significant sound improvement?

Rasmikanth:

There have a number of threads discussing power cords, cables, etc. Please use the Search button and look for these threads.

Cheers

anyone has experiance of Main Power Cord Supra LoRad with NAD 320BEE? it is possible to change power cord in NAD 320BEE?

Hi Rashmikant,
I feel Supra cables are very well made. Power cords included. Will it make a big difference in your set up i cant say. Will it make any difference in the sound of your set up also i am not sure.
Yes it is possible to replace the stock cord with a supra Lorad 1.5 or 2.5. If u were to believe the Nad distributor then supra( also carried by him) brings out the best in Nad gear.
Sorry i cant give a difinitive answer so its best for u to explore for yourself.
Regards

Dinyaar,

My curiosity has been piqued and I have to ask these questions, even though they may sound stupid.

1. Let us say we buy a Supra Lorad power cable. As fas as I can see, it comes with a UK plug. So what do we do? - do we cut the cable near the plug and replace it with an Indian plug, or do we buy a extension board that can take such plug types and use that? By doing this will we be degrading the cable's capabilities.

2. I have wired my whole house with Finolex 720 Flamegaurd wires. All my sockets are MK, and I have slowly replaced all the plugs in my appliances with MK plugs so that the fitment is perfect. Over the last 10 years, I have not had a single incident (touch wood) of any kind, except once when there was sustained lightning for half a day, and I forgot to unplug some devices. All I lost was a fuse on my TV that was easily replaced.

My question is this - If I buy a good quality IEC male, use Finolex cables and a MK plug, will I be creating a DIY equivalent of the Supra Lorad?

3. A Suhas has suggested in many places, what will happen if I buy a HP cable, and replace the plug with an MK plug.

I know these questions are stupid, but I have the urge to create new extension boxes and use MK plugs and sockets throughout for all my expensive electronics. I have great faith in the MK plugs and sockets.

Cheers

I know these questions are stupid

I second Venkat. Don't go for those exotic and over priced brands. Power cords make no noticable difference.

Good quality conductor (low resistance and enough current carrying capacity) , proper insulation (to avoid short circuits), good amount of shielding (to reduce EMI-RFI ) and firm contacts (secure contacts, no loss or distortion) is all that is expected from a power cord. Rest all is 'Snake Oil'!

A HP printer cord serves this purpose and some more. Those are the best for any budget system (Like NAD) . One can get some 2.5 mmsq FINOLEX wire, good connectors with brass parts and make a nice power cord out of it. Google for 'DIY Power cord' for additional information.

A midway solution is DIY power cords made by Cadence dealer in Bangalore , decent quality (imported German wire) and workmanship. 1 meter cord is for Rs 1000.

Hope this helps.

Dinyaar,

My curiosity has been piqued and I have to ask these questions, even though they may sound stupid.

1. Let us say we buy a Supra Lorad power cable. As fas as I can see, it comes with a UK plug. So what do we do? - do we cut the cable near the plug and replace it with an Indian plug, or do we buy a extension board that can take such plug types and use that? By doing this will we be degrading the cable's capabilities.

2. I have wired my whole house with Finolex 720 Flamegaurd wires. All my sockets are MK, and I have slowly replaced all the plugs in my appliances with MK plugs so that the fitment is perfect. Over the last 10 years, I have not had a single incident (touch wood) of any kind, except once when there was sustained lightning for half a day, and I forgot to unplug some devices. All I lost was a fuse on my TV that was easily replaced.

My question is this - If I buy a good quality IEC male, use Finolex cables and a MK plug, will I be creating a DIY equivalent of the Supra Lorad?

3. A Suhas has suggested in many places, what will happen if I buy a HP cable, and replace the plug with an MK plug.

I know these questions are stupid, but I have the urge to create new extension boxes and use MK plugs and sockets throughout for all my expensive electronics. I have great faith in the MK plugs and sockets.

Cheers

I know these questions are stupid

Hi Venkat,
Yes pre terminated Supra will come with one of two options. A 3 pin 13 amp fuse protected UK plug or a schuko plug. One can choose the option one requires. Yes u will need to connect to an adapter that accepts the UK flat pin in case your wall sockets dont also accept Uk flat plugs.Better option is to use MK/Anchor/Anchor Roma or whatever instead of using the above supra plug+MX adapter method.
Yes u can surely make a good power cord with the components u have outlined above. Finolex/Polycab make good cables.
I have no expererience with an HP cable. But yes u can put the MK plugs on any cable. Just keep the IEC Socket intact and chop off the other end and replace it yourself with an MK/Anchor plug or whatever u choose.
As i mentioned to Rashmikant that using a supra mains lead may/may not lead to any audible difference.
My house is wired with Finolex cables too and the wall outlets are assorted. By that i mean some are Anchor Roma and the ones for the audio set up are bought from UK.
Basically one has to ensure a solid firm contact and the plugs should be of a reasonable quality and u should go with MK since ur experiences have been good. I would not make extension Boxes though. Just replace plugs on the cables and plug directly into mains.

Have tried tons of mid priced power cords from various manufacturers.(most were taken for demo and not purchased) and i have written about my experiences on a couple of similar threads. This Supra is a well made cable/coated in tin/has an additional metal screen (and hence is certified hospital grade in the Uk)/rejects RF/EMI / is very flexible and is really cheap when bought un terminated, off a reel in the UK and hence i had bought about 10 metres ages ago.
Regards

Last edited:
In my experience, power cords do make a difference and I can prove it in my setup. It is not entirely cost dependant as I have heard cheaper power cords that sound better than some more expensive ones.
However, the difference they make is entirely based on the quality of AC power that you have to begin with, your setup and any RF/EMI present near/around the cords and setup. The Ground (Earth) connection is also very important.
No one can accurately tell you if any power cord will make a difference in YOUR particular setup and environment. It is best to ask some dealers for an in house demo and make your own decision.

Last edited:
Not a stupid question at all. A good contact can make a very very large difference. Although I have not experimented with it, many people claim to find a difference in sound with the change of wall outlets. All my cables have US style connectors (easier to buy and sell these online) and hence I use US wall outlets. I feel these give a very tight and excellent connection, while not costing much. I use the Pass & Seymour ones (Cryo treated) at the bottom of the following page. I paid 2/3 the price they are now listed for:
Oyaide R1 IsoClean and Furutech Receptacles

Thanks Awedeophile and Dinyaar for your patient replies.

The Pass & Seymour AC Receptacles look interesting. Wish I had known about these 10 years ago. If I touch my walls now, my wife will kill me. I am assuming these receptacles can handle 220 volts.

Man, it is amazing what all you can do to your house if you are serious and you know what you are doing. I am constantly amazed by the lack of knowledge. particularly about new techniques and products, that our civil and electrical contractors have. They have a stock answer - 'This will not work in India, Sir!!!' for everything.

Cheers

Hi, mine aren't in the wall, they are in a box and I have a dedicated circuit from the main breaker to the box. I have been using these for quite a few years now without any problems.

I dont think the NAD 320 has an IEC socket..is it not a hardwired power cord ?
in that case please check with you dealer on the impact of warranty if you do change the chors as you need to hardwire a new powercord or mod it to add an IEC socket.

i believe both may void its warranty

while the impact of a powercord can be well debated, i dont suppose the difference would be that well felt on the NAD and the money can be better spent elsewhere.

whats the rest of your setup like ?

Last edited:
Hi Rashmikant/Arj,
I am pretty sure the Nad C320 does not have a captive lead and u can change/experiment with power cords. The entry level cdps from the brand have captive leads IMO
Regards

NAD C320BEE doesn't have an IEC socket. It has a captive lead. Frankly that amp is not worth wasting money on. I'd sell it and move on. I had it for a year before I sold it. Never really could adjust to its sound.

Hi Rashmikant,

Out of curiosity I once swapped out the power cord on a much more refined - relatively speaking - NAD pre/power set-up (NAD 1600/ 216THX). No audible difference driving Monitor Audio RS6's, which you'll agree are pretty decent speakers.

Take it for what it's worth.

Persiflage

Rashmikanth,

I hope you have your answer by now. The 320BEE is hard wired so you cannot 'change' the power cord, unless you just cut the cord and replace it with a better cord and plug. If you want to change the whole cord, you have to open the unit and replace it completely from the power unit end to the plug end. If you do this, it will, most probably, void your warranty.

If the dealer has made this offer, and offers to make the change, ask him for written warranty coverage, specifically mentioning that he is changing the power cord.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back