Maintaining speakers free from dust/fungus

rams1977

Hi guys
Yesterday i happen to see a fungus formation on the surface of tweeter of my bookshelf speaker. the fungus has formed after the heavy rains chennai received last week. I have cleaned the fungus tempararily using cotton with caution. Will these fungal formations deteriorate the quality of drive units?
I did get useful tip of using soft brush for cleaning them from forum members. Any useful tips on maintaining the speakers welcome.

My exp is little old but for what it takes:

1. Cloth grills can be vacummed if too dirty, i used to wash them with water and mild soap

2. Drivers, I used to use soft brush thats available for camera lens cleaning

3. Bannian cloth or microfiber to clean the drivers

4. Ensure they r not near a damp wall, this is very very imp, during rain move at least one or two feet away from walls, especially if the wall is a outer wall

5. Air cans can be used to blow dust, ensure u do this from a distance

skumar: Thx for the thread link
madbullram: You are right. The speaker which had the fungal formation is indeed near the outside wall which is damp. I will have to relocate the speakers then.
One of my other question is will fungal formation deteriorate the sound quality? Anybody have an answer for this?

skumar: Thx for the thread link
madbullram: You are right. The speaker which had the fungal formation is indeed near the outside wall which is damp. I will have to relocate the speakers then.
One of my other question is will fungal formation deteriorate the sound quality? Anybody have an answer for this?

At the beginning the Fungal formation will not affect the sound , but if you leave it unnoticed , there will be small holes in the drivers and the rings and the sound deteriorates. Sea shore areas are most vulnarable to these fungus and the best thing to avoid it is use the speakers regularly and keep it in a airy place.

I try for prevention.I packed gap between grills & cabinate with cotton.
It helps to prevent dust,moisture & even ants:lol:
It absorbs reflected sounds too with improving SQ.

Ok, now im trying with a divided plastic kind table cloth to cover the speakers when not in use. Hope thes cloths won't absorb moisture. ANy suggestions?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back